• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by bones.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Best dehydrated camping meals?
  • boxelder

Lightweight, gourmet taste, cheap, huge portions???

What’s recommended?

the-muffin-man

Pot Noodle

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Cheesy-beany pasta. Big pot. Don’t put Guinness in it.

boxelder

Should have been more specific.
    Needs to be of the ‘pour in boiling water and eat out of the packet (but not Pot Noodle) variety.

aP
    Free Member

Adventure Food or Bewell Expedition.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Lived off Bewell expedition meals for 14 days last year. Porridge+ are good for breakfast, main meal curies are OK, shepherd’s pie was the best, Tasty Beef Stroganoff wasn’t. Deserts are excellent – particularly the papaya. They are much better if you insulate them while they’re hydrating – I made up a foam lined bag. The choc chip desert can be mixed with cold water which is a good emergency calorie boost.

Cougar

I was pleasantly surprised with Adventure Food when I did my bit to go out unsupervised and not get eaten by bears last year. Probably of less interest to anyone who isn’t me but they’ve a reasonable veggie selection that isn’t all cheese with added cheese. Filling too, I struggled to finish the Expedition Breakfast but it fuelled me up a hill nicely.

Cougar

Actually,

I may still have a Trail magazine somewhere that did a round-up. I’ll see if I can track it down.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

The Adventure Foods are pretty good but I prefer Expedition Foods. They do 800cal versions of most of their meals and you can trust the instructions regarding how much boiling water to stick in them. Plus the bags are robust so they stand up on their own while you’re waiting for them to cook, and wont burn your hand as you eat.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Army surplus 24hr rat pack. Don’t need to hydrate, or cook. Can all be eaten on hard routine.

rene59
    Free Member

Due to the expense I only buy the dehydrated main meals.

For breakfast I make up some porridge oats with milk powder and some mixed nuts.

For main meals I like the Mountain House Pasta with Lasagne Sauce and the Mountain House Chicken Tikka with Rice. The Adventure Food Mince Hotpot is good also.

For puddings I find sachets of instant custard and angel delight from the supermarket pleasant enough for a fraction of the price as the outdoor dehydrated puddings.

boxelder

Thanks all. Cougar – veggie is good (forgot to mention that….)

stayhigh

While not dehydrated the Look What We Found meals are very nice & the supermarkets quite often have them offer.

Mix with a pack of microwave brown rice, cooks quickly & very filling.

Tiger6791

Oat so Simple
    Pot noodle
    Packet Custard

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Last time I bought pour and store bags from wilko, filled with cous cous, chopped chorizo, chilli, cumin, thyme etc – really highly flavoured. I made a wee envelope shaped thing with the 3mm foam you use under laminate flooring, and put the pour n store inside, boil some water, fill up and wait 10 mins.

Worked very well.

stayhigh

Following on from ? most supermarkets have dried ingredients like mushrooms & tomatoes so you could use these as well if your making your own.

dehydrated mixed veg

How to dehydrate vegetables 1

How to dehydrate vegetables 2

I should add I haven’t tried either of the above, just curious about how to do it.

stevedoc
    Free Member

After a few years of sleeping in ditches 24 ratpacks have got better , the Salmon pasta is a bit rank though ,also US MREs can be had on evilbay they are fine too,failing that Decathlon to a mean Chicken curry and ham pasta redydration bag for 3 quid iirc

bones
    Free Member

I do exactly the same as Nobeer. Just add Jerky and whisky. You can also get little sachets of tabasco, which is handy, but just tend to use chilli powder now. Currently on Carolina Reaper. Recommended.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Best dehydrated camping meals?’ is closed to new replies.