• This topic has 13 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by gee.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best deal on Deore M615 brakeset?
  • perthmtb
    Free Member

Mate managed to snap the bracket on his Elixir 1 lever over the weekend, and quote from the LBS is 65 quid to fix it (new lever assembly, fitting, and a bleed). Not suggesting that’s outrageous or anything, but I do think this could be an opportunity to upgrade to a set of decent Shimanos for not much more.

I’m pretty impressed by the reviews the new Deore M615 have been getting, and I see Merlin are selling them for 72 quid (plus another 32 for rotors), but anyone know of any better deals out there at the moment?

Thanks…

martinhutch

I don’t think you’ll do better for the brakes themselves. Don’t forget to use quidco etc.

I take it that’s not Deore rotors you’re speccing though.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I take it that’s not Deore rotors you’re speccing though.

RT66 – cheapest Shimano rotors Merlin have.

Anyway, I think anything cheaper, like the RT51/53 will only take resin pads?

cp

That’s am amazing price on 615 brakes. Just reuse existing rotors.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Just reuse existing rotors.

Thought you couldn’t use Avid rotors on Shimano brakes as they are different sizes – but correct me if I’m wrong as that would make it even easier to switch?

DrP

I’ve got sine elixir r for sale.. Rear has carbon lever…
    Could buy a whole set from me for £40 and be done with it 😉

DrP

BoardinBob

Thought you couldn’t use Avid rotors on Shimano brakes as they are different sizes – but correct me if I’m wrong as that would make it even easier to switch?

I’m using avid rotors with XT brakes. Works perfectly

DrP

Rotors will be 170 on both avid and shimano…
    Or 180 shimano, 183 avid.
    Easy to add a few mm (well, 1.5mm) of washers under the calliper to make shimano fit avid rotors…

DrP

cp

The callipers are to a ‘standard’, i.e. they will all fit a post mount fork/frame without adaptors using 160mm rotors. Therefore just reuse the existing mounting brackets which means you can use the same Avid rotors.

cp

Easy to add a few mm (well, 1.5mm) of washers under the calliper to make shimano fit avid rotors…

If there’s an Avid adaptor on there already for rotors other than 160mm, you don’t need to shim it with washers to use a shimano caliper. You only need washers if using a shimano adaptor with Avid 183/203 rotors.

perthmtb
    Free Member

So lets see if I’ve got this right….

Its post mount front, and IS rear with an Avid adapter, both rotors are Avid 160mm. So I can just take the Avid calipers off and fit the Shimano ones without any need for new adapters/shims/washers etc?

Thanks.

cp

Yep, exactly right. Just use the existing avid adaptor on the rear.

Don’t use the avid mounting bolts as they’ll be way too long. You should get shorter ones with the shimano brakes.

dmorts

I have a bike with Shimano brakes, Shimano adapters and avid rotors working fine without any shims/washers. 180 (ish) front post mount, 160 rear IS. Bike has been boxed up since Autumn as moved house then. Will double check front caliper clearance, but seemed ok?

gee
    Free Member

I bought a set of these last week – they are excellent brakes. Hard to tell the difference between the Deore and XTR in terms of feel/function.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best deal on Deore M615 brakeset?’ is closed to new replies.