Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Best Cyclocross bike for less than £750
  • ravingdave

hi,

my commute involve 70% road, 15% gravel track and 15% muddy off road. I currently do it on a 29er which is just overkill for 85% of my ride to work.

I am therefore considering a cyclocross bike to make the road/gravel bit easier. My absolute top budget is £750 but it really really needs to be as cheap as possible.

current ideas are:
    Voodoo Limba £450 (currently £410)
    Mango Point AR (£550 with sora)
    Boardman CX comp £800 (currently £675 – if not in sale cannot afford it)

any idea if these are any good? I know nothing about CX, also anyother suggestions?

cheers
    Dave

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I got this in the black friday sales for £625 including some pedals and bar tape.

It might be worth giving them a call for their best price as it’s a great bike. The new tiagra kit is superb.

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Cannondale/CAADX-Tiagra-Cyclocross-Bike-2016/8P5G

theotherjonv

If you go for the Boardman from Halfords, join British cycling for £15 or so first and then get 10% off.

maxlite
    Free Member

Boardman end of season CX comp is £449.99 only in 50, 53 and 55, I’m very tempted!!

ivnickkate
    Free Member

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/browse/bicycles/cyclocross-bikes

the coop own revolution range any good for you?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Just bought one of these for £550. Great bike, very happy with it.
    https://www.orangebikes.co.uk/shop/factory/refurb/2015_rx9_large_lava_grey

BillOddie

Isn’t the standard answer Pinnacle Arkose?

In true STW fashion, I was going to recommend what I have (Jamis Renegade Expat) but they are now 800 quid on Evans. Worth a look though if you can stretch your budget just a bit.

butcher

Boardman end of season CX comp is £449.99 only in 50, 53 and 55, I’m very tempted!!

As above, will be £400 with BC discount. Very tidy bike for that money, and perfect for commuting really. They might be a bit thin between stores though, they’ve been on sale since before Christmas.

Edit: Looks like they still have the Team too. http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/boardman-end-of-season/boardman-cx-team-bike-2014 Which is closer to budget.

This year’s model has an upgrade with hydraulic disks though…

ravingdave

Cheers guys lots of great suggestions here. The boardman look great value as does the orange. Very tempted by that one. We may well have a winner!

chrishc777
    Free Member

The bottom spec vitus energie looks ace and comes in just at 750ish with British Cycling 10% off. Tubeless ready wheels and tyres, good brakes, full carbon fork and 11 speed is hard to beat at that price point.

The Orange is very good looking but with that spec it will be a bit of a lump weight wise

benp1

Does it have to be new?

Arkose 2 here, perfect for you, though not for sale. You could find one for sale well in budget 2nd hand

oldfart

Another vote for the Giant Revolt , I’ve had mine for just over a year . Got it for £500 ( half price ! ) Ride it work , all day green laning , had a play on it in the woods on the way home today , it loves woodsy Singletrack ! The first review I read about it said a natural choice for a MTBer , they were right . Mines the 1 model , carbon fork and seatpost plus the junction where the seat stay joins the seatpost is not directly in line with the top tube . I think this improves the comfort , but I’d ditch the original saddle and tyres ( they are sketchy ! ) Spesh Crossroads 700 x 38 job done !

sv

Cheapest Vitus Energie (£700 atm)
    crc link

td75
    Free Member

Currently looking for a cross bike around this price bracket myself. Whats the Giant Revolt like when you put some slick road tires on? Looking for something that can do a good road bike impression but is still off roadable.

snownrock

I have the Boardman CX comp, great for a robust commuter but I don’t enjoy CX’ing on it, far too heavy and dull. Its a small moon with wheels attached. I don’t understand how an Alu bike can be so heavy, with racks and guards its heavy than my full sus 29er.

jimslade
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Kona Rove AL, it was £599. Love it. I was commuting on a rigid 29er (charge cooker, with a carbon fork) but the Rove is a lot faster and climbs really well, which is a bonus as I live in Sheffield. It handles off road easily too, took it through a bog at the end of some singletrack with no problem at the weekend.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Was out on the Orange on Sunday. Great for back lanes and bridleways. It isn’t the lightest but rides really well. Having rode nothing but MTB’s for years I was a bit wary about CX bikes handling etc, but after a few rides it feels really nice.. Been off road on mine too, scary stuff on drop bars!!

karlsbug
    Free Member

I recommend what I’ve just got – GT Grade, job done. You can get a Claris or Sora model for your budget.

orangewinger
    Free Member

I also have the 2015 Giant Revolt 1 and love it, it feels very much like an old school rigid mtb from the nineties but is so much better on the roads. The spec is great and for £600 is pretty good value but it’s not particularly light. The stock tyres are surprisingly grippy and roll well on road.

I’m 6ft1 and went for the ML size.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Best Cyclocross bike for less than £750’ is closed to new replies.