Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Best cycling location
  • mjsmke

If you could relocate anywhere in the UK, where would you choose for decent mtb trails?

jekkyl

Keswick.
    Although I have never been cycling in Scotland so my experience is limited.

whitestone
    Free Member

Currently on the south edge of the Dales, Skipton area, so roughly:

Dales: on doorstep
    Lakes: 90mins to 2hrs
    Peak: a couple of hours
    NYM: a couple of hours
    N. Wales: 3hrs
    Mid Wales: 4hrs
    Scotland: 3hrs upwards

Moving further west to somewhere in the Kendal – Lancaster – Settle area so not far from the M6 would knock an hour off most of those times. So depending on whether you prefer urban or rural living, Kendal or Kirkby Lonsdale, Ingleton.

tjagain

Where i am – Edinburgh. ~maybe go south side tho rather than leith. Cyeleable access into east and west Lothian and the pentlands. 40 mins by car to the tweed valley, an hour or two into the highlands, good trains.

weeksy

I love where i live in West Berks… But i imagine 90% of STWers would die of boredom riding here 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Bruges.

I’m not playing by your rules… I’m going road cycling and drinking beer on the Continent instead.

Trimix
    Free Member

Forest of Dean.

scotroutes

I did.

I moved to Aviemore.

tjagain

Too far away from civilsation Scotroutes. 😉 I mean do you even have a Waitrose let alone supplies of organic hummus and avocados?

SaxonRider

Where I live: South Wales. I used to live in Manchester, and still go up to visit my mother and other family, and while I love riding out from the Rossendale Valley onto the moors, I still prefer my home turf.

The same goes for road riding. Although I also like TSY’s suggestion.

geoffj

Too far away from civilsation Scotroutes. I mean do you even have a Waitrose let alone supplies of organic hummus and avocados?

M&S Food en route – small steps TJ, small steps

(although I’d prefer a Lidl or Aldi TBH)

ton

inverness.
    Keswick.
    mach.

scotroutes

M&S Food en route – small steps TJ, small steps

(although I’d prefer a Lidl or Aldi TBH)Aldi is currently under construction too.

ton – Member
    inverness

For from the door mountain biking, Inverness isn’t that great. Access is superb though.

tjagain

🙂

jeffl

Good question. I’d have to ride more places in order to answer it accurately. However I used to live in the Chilterns which was nice for bridleways and the like. Moved up to the eastern edge of the Peak 10 years ago and loving the riding, both on road and off road. Also like the differences between the white & dark peak. If we moved now (unlikely with three school age children) local riding options would play a considerable part in any decision.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Swindon. Obviously.

ton

Inverness isn’t that great

it is a lot nicer than south leeds………. 😆

geoffj

Aldi is currently under construction too.

*woo hoo*

shortcut

I know its not UK but Dublin is pretty good.

I doubt it’s the best, but I’m in the Derbyshire Dales and it’s got a lot going for it – cracking riding on the doorstep- Wharny/Greno/Peak a short drive, Either end of Wales do-able in a day

nickc

Calderdale, moved for work, but could (within reason) choose where I was based. Haven’t regretted it for a minute.

bigjim

Edinburgh or Inverness

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Great question OP. I’ve ridden in north and south Wales, the Lakes, the Scottish borders, Torridon, Cairngorms, the Dales, the Yorkshire Moors and of course – my home – The Peak District. Whilst I’ve undoubtedly had some amazing days out in all of those places, i never forgot how central a location the Peak District is for great riding (on and off road) *and* for access to all those other fab places. The Peak District is not – IMHO – the best riding in the UK, but it’s hard to beat as a central location.

Junkyard
    Free Member

lakes ,
    scotland,
    wales,
    dales,
    Peak district,

One of those i reckon

MoreCashThanDash

I’m happy where I am on the north side of Derby. Bridleways/gravel and towpaths and road rides out the door. Less than an hour to the White Peak, Cannock and Pines. 2 hours to top of Dark Peak, Yorkshire Dales and NY Moors. 3 hours can get you to quite a few Welsh trail centres, even the Lakes.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

For those who have answered the OP’s question, do you look for doorstep riding or are you happy to travel? I think a truly classic location *has* to have riding from the doorstep. Where I live in the southern Peak District, the good stuff involves 30 minutes of road riding to get to, so I wouldn’t recommend it as a classic MTB base. You don’t need to go many miles up the road to be in the thick of some great stuff though.

MBR did an article on this a few years back and I think Bristol came out top or near the top.

IHN

Great question OP. I’ve ridden in north and south Wales, the Lakes, the Scottish borders, Torridon, Cairngorms, the Dales, the Yorkshire Moors and of course – my home – The Peak District. Whilst I’ve undoubtedly had some amazing days out in all of those places, i never forgot how central a location the Peak District is for great riding (on and off road) *and* for access to all those other fab places. The Peak District is not – IMHO – the best riding in the UK, but it’s hard to beat as a central location.

Hard to argue with that.

whitestone
    Free Member

Well we’ve a BW that goes past the house so effectively it is “from the doorstep”, well two bike lengths away. It’s not a good BW though, short and doesn’t really lead anywhere.

About ten minutes on road gets me onto a network of trails that link up using short bits of road but to get into the Dales is about half an hour of road and canal towpath.

aide

Tweed valley for my vote. In scotland so right to roam applies, decent trail centres, hand made trails all over. Most town locations are only about 5mins from countryside, and a bike festival every year ( i may be a bit biased however)

perchypanther
    Free Member

Somewhere near Stirling….Bridge of Allan, Dunblane, Menstrie, Dunkeld

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I moved from Tring several years back and miss it. Pretty reasonable trails from the door in several directions and Aston Hill 15 mins ride (off road).

I realise it’s not mountain territory, but for the SE it was pretty bloody good.

nickc

I have some truly epic riding right from my driveway, plus, North Wales, The Southern Lakes, The Peak, and the Dales are all within a couple of hours driving.

J-R

The Surrey Hills IS bike heaven.

Some people know this already and others have not been here.

Although the Alps has a lot going for it too, although the beers not so good and it’s unbridgeable for a third of the year.

jonostevens
    Free Member

Having just moved there I’m obviously bias, but I don’t reckon you can beat the Quantocks for smiles per miles. Ace natural riding straight from the door, with manmade DH / Enduro-ey type stuff bang in the middle too. Ride-able all year round as well.

Exmoor (40 mins to the best stuff), Dartmoor (90 mins), South Wales (2 hours 15), Mendips (1 hour), FoD (2 hours) if you fancy an away day.

postierich
    Free Member

Kendal is perfect for the Lakes and the Dales, but I would like to live in Perth for access to the Highlands and the freedom of access!
    Just need the Mrs to get a new job up there!

sharkattack

Seriously, no mention of Sheffield yet?

A small but diverse city that caters to all tastes with amazing riding in every direction? Been here about 6 months now. Wish I came ten years ago when I was fit (and single).

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ll go for Dunkeld, great out the door riding and within 3hrs of just about everywhere else worth riding in Scotland. Nice place too.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Strathspey: I believe there’s a Waitrose in Stirling, I know there’s a Sainsbury in Nairn and decent fish in Buckie.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Sheffield here too – I moved here 20 years ago and haven’t found a place that’s tempted me away yet

flashinthepan
    Free Member

If I really was moving I’d pick either:

Snowdonia
    Brecon Beacons, or
    The North York Moors

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Best cycling location’ is closed to new replies.