Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Best cycling jacket
  • nickf
    Free Member

OK, so I could go and do my own research, but (a) where’s the fun in that (b) I value real-life experiences.

With that in mind, Mrs F would like to get me a good cycling jacket for Christmas. Price is not the limiting factor here, but what I really want is something nwaterproof, light/small for stashing, long-lived (I seem to destroy the waterproofing after a couple of years), reasonably rip-proof and, most of all, really breathable. I can’t stand boil in the bag jackets.

So, any recommendations?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Light/small for stashing plus long-lived/durable don’t usually seem to go together very well!

Just done a similar search and for a waterproof, breathable, feature laden Endura Stealth – it’s a softshell but it works like a “hard” shell. Ran in it last night and it breathes very well (lots of vents).

eVent jackets might be worth a look – Endura and Pace make good ones.

nickf
    Free Member

Thanks Mat – just saw your previous post on this. Just how breathable is breathable? I particularly dislike really hot/sweaty arms & shoulders.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Nick – I ran in it last night (which makes me sweat LOADS) and was pretty sweat free. I did have two of the four vents open but still impressive. I also HATE unbreathable kit!

MSP

There is no such thing as the best cycling jacket, you need a winter system to choose from for the conditions on any given day. Mine consists of

specialized pro vada ls jersey
    pearl izumi gilet
    montane featherlite smock
    buffalo tech lite cycle shirt
    montane stormrider event hard shell

from that I can mix and match to ride in pretty much any conditions.

the endura windchill jacket looks interesting and may be added soon.

Speshpaul

“eVent jackets might be worth a look – Endura” not any more they use a unbranded material now.

uplink
    Free Member

I have a dhb Wickham eVENT which seems to fit the bill

TBH though, I tend to just wear wind-proofs rather than waterproofs

Timmy2wheels
    Free Member

eVent is the material for you if you want max breathability and totally waterproof. Personally I would go for something more versatile than a cycling specific jacket. I’ve got a Rab eVent mountain jacket – it has a stowable hood (not that there’s much point in stowing it), waterproof zips, hem drawcord, loads of adjustment around the neck and head and a wired peak, so you can clamp it down to the point where just your eyes are showing, but still turn your head fully to see traffic etc. Map pockets inside too. It’s not the very lightest at around 400g but you can ball it up pretty small.

leew1976
    Free Member

Event is far more breathable than Gore-Tex in my experience, they have found a way of bonding the membrane around the tiny vents rather than over it as Gore Tex is – as I understand it.

I have a Gore bikewear Alp X 2 jacket which stashes great but tears pretty easily when riding through anything stiffer than nettles – I only wear it on the road now. I also have a Stealth, which is great, far tougher than anything Gore Tex I have, ideal for mountain biking, as it’s survived many falls, scrapes through brambles etc, I’ve only torn it on barbed wire which totalled my sealskins at the same time.

I have owned Endura eVent shorts – not made anymore, they were great apart from the sizing. The material was pretty tough, although it probably would be different material for the jackets.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have an eVent (Gill prospeed – same as DHB) but I only run it when it’s chucking it down. For all other times a softshell is much better.

I run either the old N2S Gore Phantom, a new Gore Oxygen SO or an Endura F260. All good.

yoshimi

The ‘best’ jacket I have bought would be my Gore Phantom softshell with removable arms – windproof, waterproof to a point and keeps me warm.

I also have an old paclite shell for when the weather turns very wet – combined with the Phantom its a good versatile system.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I researched for ages (as usual) – the lower cost (but still damn pricey!) Gore’s seemed to get mixed reviews, the excellent Pace 3×3 is in grey only and very low vis – in fact NO eVent jackets seem to come in bright colours which I need – a shame.

But the Stealth is both a soft shell AND totally waterproof and breathable as well as coming in hi vis yellow – so all boxes ticked.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

If breathibility is the main consideration, you have to reject any hard shell jacket. Sorry, thats the way it is, softshell is simply a gazillion* times more breathible and comfortable on the bike IME.

I have a howies cross, a 1st gen scholler 3xdry fabric, good but warm if not very cold out, plus now discontinued, and an arcteryx epsilon AR, which is outstanding and does not run as warm (you can still layer underneath).

If it is stair-rod rain, you can put a waterproof over the top, or substitute. I wear softshell for 95% of my riding, both road and mtb, and I commute 5 days a week in all weathers, I rarely have to get the hardshell out.

I wuld heartily recommend any of the arcteryx softshell range:
    http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Jackets#Softshell
    http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Jackets#Hardfleece

IME you get a much better perfoming jacket from a ‘mountain’ manufacturer than a ‘bike’ manufacturer. The gap has closed, but the mountaineering manufacturers are still leading the pack. Also look at haglofs and patagonia.

oddjob
    Free Member

I am really happy with my Rapha softshell although it’s not very packable.

There are really 2 different things

A packable rain jacket to keep dry
    A windproof winter jacket to keep warm and dry (ish)

I know they get a slating here, but I really think Rapha stuff is very good and as everyone else puts up their prices, it doesn’t even seem crazy expensive any more.

I have heard fantastic reviews of the Gore Fusion jacket as well.

darkgr33n
    Free Member

Rather than start a new ‘what jacket’ thread, i thought i’d ask here. i’m looking for a new jacket to replace my 8 year old gore paclite. After some research, its seems perhaps the best way is base layer + windproof, and then if it really hammers done, something waterproof to throw over the top.

I’ve been trying to find reviews of the Skins C400 Wind Jacket, but can’t find any.

Has anyone tried one of these ?

They also do a Skins C400 Rain Jacket

If anyone has experience of any of the other jackets i’ve been looking at, that would be good too:

Madison Evo Lite

Showers Pass Elite 2.0

Vaude Prime eVent Jacket

Thanks!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

My Stealth was astonishingly good last night. Incredibly heavy rain and hail, near freezing, 15 miles of very flooded off roading. Legs, feet and hands soaked and freezing, body and arms bone dry and warm.

darkgr33n
    Free Member

I do like the sound of the stealth, but have read a fair number of people have problems with the seams coming apart and other niggles. although, i do have the singletrack trousers + shorts, both of which are great quality, but that’s traditional stitching.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Dark – yep I read those too. Will just treat it with care!

spacemonkey

Gore Windstopper Phantom – I picked one up a month or so ago and it’s served me well in wind and rain on runs. Haven’t used it on the bike yet, but judging by the reviews it’ll cope more than adequately. Seemed to be pretty breathable too.

Worth checking out.

EDIT: when the wet weather really kicks in I’ll pair it with an Altura Crosslite – weather hasn’t been bad enough to warrant wearing it yet.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

“Best” is another 4 letter word that should be banned along with “T*res” on this forum

darkgr33n
    Free Member

“Best” is another 4 letter word that should be banned along with “T*res” on this forum

Couldn’t agree more. For me, it’s more, what are you wearing and do you rate it. Magazine reviews are OK, but it’s good to know how a garment actually wears in the real-world, especially manfacturing quality / longevity.

I do like the look of the Skins C400 Wind Jacket but am unlikey to buy if I can’t find any reviews.

Must admit, i’m edging toward the Endura Stealth as only some people report seam problems. I could be lucky.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I got an Endura Stealth – good for mtb – hard wearing and fairly breathable for a thick all weather/go anywhere jacket 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Dark – I’ve emailed Endura asking about the issue and also to get their exact words on washing it – I’ve recently killed a decent jacket, washing and re-proofing it despite following washing instructions to the letter.

darkgr33n
    Free Member

Dark – I’ve emailed Endura asking about the issue and also to get their exact words on washing it – I’ve recently killed a decent jacket, washing and re-proofing it despite following washing instructions to the letter.

I’ve emailed them before over something – I forget what now – but I seem to recall they were pretty helpful. Be interesting to hear whether Endura are aware of these reports, as its not just one case.

I think the guy who’s Stealth was fine said he washed his inside-out, but two of his mates had Stealths too, and both has seam problems. Maybe there was a dogdy batch or something.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Got one here and no seam problems and I have washed if a few times without any obvious problems?

darkgr33n
    Free Member

Got one here and no seam problems and I have washed if a few times without any obvious problems?

cool, thanks for that.

i found the post i was referring to on bikeradar, and there are a couple of other disappointed ppl there too. but, more happy ppl it must be said.

do the cuffs leak ? can you fit gloves under the cuffs ? is the tail big enough to cover your ars* ?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Dark – the cuffs sleeves seal gloves very well but it’s s slim fit. Thick gloves might not fit under. The tail is just about big enough – had to pull mine back down a couple of times but better than most jackets I’ve used.

It’s a close fitting item so everything is very “svelte” and lacking in baggyness. If you’re slim (or fairly slim) it should fit fine. Arms are on the long side – I’m fairly gibbon armed but even so the sleeves are still longish.

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Take a look at anything made from the North Face “APEX” softshell material… range from £60 up £400.

I got myself a TNF Mt McKinley Apex – for going down the pub – but I have realised by accident it is an awesome material for MTB – stretchy, breathable, fleecy warm, and practically waterproof (unless you went swimming in it). It is now happily consigned to trail duty. (Mind they cost £120 – so it’s an expensive jacket to trash).

I might get another just for Pub / Sunday Best duty.

Surfr
    Free Member

Another vote for the stealth. I asked a similar question about a month ago and opted for a red stealth after trying on a medium in the LBS and it fitted like a glove. I agree the arms are long but I have very short arms. It just means there’s a slight ruffle in the mid arm but this is not an issue for me. Put gloves on first and then pull arms over top. Perfect seal. There’s zips if you need them at the cuffs but I tend to keep them closed all the time. It kept me bone dry in a torrential downpour at the end of a recent road ride and it is nowhere near as boiling hot as some people claim. Its comfy with a only a long sleeved base layer down to around -2 as far as I’ve tested so far.

darkgr33n
    Free Member

Mat – thanks- i do have a pair of endura dexters that are good down to about 1 or 2 degrees and are nice and thin. i’m probably average rather than slim. endura fit is sometimes hit and miss. my singletrack shorts in medium are perfect. my singletrack trousers in medium are way too big.

Ax3M4n – thanks. i do have a north face walking windproof, but am after something with some extra ventilation, ie pit zips.

Surfr – thanks. another vote, it’s definitely up there isn’t it. not sure if i have long short or normal arms actually.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Best cycling jacket’ is closed to new replies.