Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Best current xc flats?
  • markiemark666
    Free Member

looking at getting some flats ASAP. I do mainly cross country ridding and a bit of technical. the lighter the better plus I don’t want massive pedals but at the same time not tiny. I’m looking around the £80-120 mark. There’s way to many to chose from. Any advice or recomendations please?

Hope h20
    Straitline amp
    Ht ae02
    Spank spike
    Funndamental super lights

Them are what I have been looking at on the net but can’t make the final decision ha or is there something better I’m missing?

creamegg
    Free Member

Ive already got a pair of straitline (not the AMP’s) and they’re the best flat pedal ive used. Ive just ordered a pair of AMP’s to stick on my new bike. Hopefully they’ll be just as good

markiemark666
    Free Member

I have nearly orderd the amps 3 times then read reviews about them sticking and squeezing, so go back to the drawing board. I like the look of them though hmm

creamegg
    Free Member

ive assumed the axle and bushings are the same as the originals. Had my other ones now for two years and they only require minimal maintenance and work perfectly fine. Theres not much to them that can go wrong. If they do need stripping down for a clean it only takes 5 mins.

Got a pair of superstar nanos too which are very good for the money

nedrapier

Have a think about whether you need to spend more than the £35 you need for a pair of wellgo MG1s.

Pretty light, pretty strong, pretty grippy. bearings are pretty good.

Jedi’s pedal of choice for a good while (still are??), so good enough for me! Got a pair on the SS adn the hardatil, might get another for the commuter cx bike too – shape is much nicer than the V8s on there now.

markiemark666
    Free Member

The wellgo mg1s are pretty decent although I was going to go with something a bit more pimp. They are a very good price.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Burgtech MK4’s when they arrive later this year.

I’ve got MK2’s and they’re unbelievably good despite being almost 2lb/pair. The MK3’s are thinner/lighter, the 4’s apparently will be 400g/pair.

Most (flat pedal using) DHers seem to have used them at some point whether they were sponsored by them or not! Completely rebuildable and made in the UK to boot.

jam-bo

Ive got some Sanderson mags that seem pretty light and holding up well to being smashed off rocks and roots pretty regularly.

markiemark666
    Free Member

Hope f20s anyone got a pair just had a look at some in a shop they look quite good

andymc06
    Free Member

I use DMR Vaults which are excellent. Worth a look IMO

clubby

Dmr vaults or even v12 are very good. Also currently using nukeproof electrons on my fat bike as they’re plastic so won’t corrode. Light weight, cheap and bearings lasting well so far.

zbonty

I’ve been using Straitlines for about four years. Comfy/grippy but i’m bored of shelling out £18 repeatedly for some expensive plastic washers (‘rebuild kit’)
    Not recommended for pedally riding -eg XC

Someone linked to the Exotic Carbon website earlier today-Superstar Nanos but cheaper.
    http://www.carboncycles.cc/index.php?product_code=CC-PED07F&
    Vaults look nice, but £100. Something with a sealed bearing for me next.

jairaj

another vote for Welgo MG1 can be had for around £30 if you shop about. I’ve very happy with mine.

Or Carbon Cycles or Superstar both are the same design but rebranded get which ever one is cheaper. I think Superstar is normally cheaper but occasionally CC have them on offer.

toys19
    Free Member

neds reccommendation is goood. mg1s are indeed excellent. I have 2 pairs.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

+1 on the NP neutron/SS nano/Exotic Components ones over the Vaults. personanly feel the vaults aren’t as good…

andymc06
    Free Member

I ran Nano’s for a year and have run Vaults for 18 months. I recently used a mates bike for a section at Llandegla which had Nano’s on. Switching directly between the two I was genuinely surprised at the reduction in grip using Nano’s. The Vaults have a larger more concave platform which for me was far more comfortable and offered more grip. With the Nano’s my foot was very much on top of the pedal. Are Vaults twice as good as Nano’s? No. But they are certainly better. (IMO :-))

markiemark666
    Free Member

I’m guessing nobody rates my choices then other than the straitlines ! I did look at the vaults and the mg1 I have read loads of reviews and they are both ranked well. I fancied something a bit pimp and different to what everyone has. Although if everyone has them there obviously good. Nobody got a pair of the hopes?

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’m in a similar market. My Wellgo V12 copies only last six months before they get graunchy. I do a few smallish jumps but don’t weigh a huge amount.

They’re meant to last an age. So is it me or do I need to look at a different strategy/brand?

ahwiles
    Free Member

why anyone thinks V12’s are better than V8’s is a mystery.

V12: tiny cartridge bearing at one end, crappy journal bearing at the other – it’s this that dies quickly, and is almost impossible to replace.

V8: bigger ball bearings at both ends, and a grease port, give them a quick squidge every few months with the syringe provided, and they’ll last for years.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I guessed it was the bushing failing every time.
    I’ve lost count of how many I’ve gone through lately !!

Northwind

HT AE01/02 are ones to avoid- the wee bearing on the end of the axle is almost unprotected, absolutely tiny, and almost unservicable to boot. Shame, they’re otherwise pretty cool. Might be I’ll be able to find a better replacement or at least a stock of the disposable ones used as standard but even then…

MG1 is fantastic at the price. Nano can be light but the price goes way up by comparison, and the lightweight models shed pins like nothing else I’ve used- soft body and not much thread.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Been using DMR Vaults for about a couple of years. Can’t fault them for grip, looks or ability to withstand rock strikes. IMO they also look really good and the anodising does not fade like on he cheaper pedals. Guy in my LBS has used both the Vaults and the Hopes. Verdict is that the Hopes are nice but not as grippy as the Vaults

bartimaeus
    Free Member

If you want pimp and niche then what about Chromag Scarabs… these do look very smart and they have plenty of pin options – expensive, mind!

I have MG1s and Nanos on my bikes.

sandal100

I used the hope f20’s for the first time last weekend at the gravity enduro. Nice pedals, large platform but they’re very flat. I ran them with only the pins on the outside installed to give them a bit of a concave shape for my foot to sit in. Even without the centre pins, the finish of the pedal, with the ridges means they’re very grippy.

Can definitely recommend!

I was coming from nanos, have had point one podiums and v12 mags. They’re probably 2nd behind the podiums but the reliability of the podiums was terrible

stevied
    Free Member

Just out of interest, have you tried SPD’s? I use them for everything from XC to DH and absolutely love them..

Just a thought 😉

mikertroid
    Free Member

I used SPDs for years then went to flats. I’m not sure I’d ever want to go back. My riding’s improved, my knees don’t get sore and I’ve a choice over how I position my feet.

I seem to enjoy my riding more than ever (doubt if its to do with flats) so loathe to break my current formula!

markiemark666
    Free Member

Dont like spd,s had them on my last bike and it limits its use. Plus had a few near misses. the scarabs do look pimp im going to look them up.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

MG1s, Nanos or Electrons – sticky, cheap, light and flat.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Best current xc flats?’ is closed to new replies.