Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Best current accounts for foreign transactions?
  • nicko74

Nationwide have changed their t&c’s so that there’s now a fee for withdrawing money abroad. Given that their fee-free foreign transactions were a major reason for me going with Nationwide, I’m checking out what other accounts there are with fee-free foreign transactions. Any pointers?

scaredypants

I think NW are still supposedly lower than most (they levy one charge but not another IIRC – but not correctly enough to remeber any details !)

PePPeR

Bugger, we were considering moving our account to them becuase they provided fee free foreign transactions!

PePPeR

There again checking their current account on their website, it looks like they are still advertising the fee free service.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/current_account/account_benefits.htm?source=nationwide&campaign=hotspot&execution=flex_features_info_01022009

PePPeR

It looks like its the visa fee which is going to be charged.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

My Girlfriends currently living in Belgium and per Nationwide no fee will be charged. looking through list it’s still free in Europe.

scuttler

Current/Flex account and credit card are changing – see http://www.nationwide.co.uk/current_account/foreigntransactions.htm. Not digested it myself yet so I don’t fully understand the changes but as I understand it travelling within the Euro zone there’s essentially no change. I might be wrong though.

nicko74

Basically main European countries are free of this visa fee; all other countries, including most places I go on holiday, there is now a c1% transaction fee.
    It narks me off – Nationwide pays no interest on its current account, so the fee-free foreign transactions is its only USP…

scuttler

But you can link a Flexaccount to an e-saver and transfer money instantly and at will between the current and saver account. The e-saver’s not stellar interest but it’s a place to park spare money that you don’t want to put into an ISA or other savings account.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Best current accounts for foreign transactions?’ is closed to new replies.