Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Best compression-less brake cables
  • lawman91

Need to replace the brake cables on the TRP Hy/Rds on my Datum and looking to move a proper compression-less outer, tbh I’ve never been fully impressed by them, the lever always felt a bit numb and mushy. What’s the general consensus on brake cables these days? I’ve looked at Jagwire Link Elites and Yokozuno but wondered if there was anything else to consider?

IHN
    nedrapier

jagwire are good.

you can eff up a good set by cutting it wonky and leaving messy ends, and you can make an average set pretty good by taking some extra care with the cutting and cleaning up of the ends. Dremel is your friend.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Pyro

I’ve used the Goodridge kits for quite a few years, always worked well for me

cp

TRP’s own is what I use on my Hy:Rd’s and it’s great stuff:-

https://www.merlincycles.com/trp-road-disc-cable-kit-93697.html

My Hy:Rd’s feel great with them, no mushyness at all.

If you still have mushy feel I reccomend a really good bleed. I use the epic kit and I bleed with the caliper off the bike held in a hand- and rotate/spin the caliper as I bleed…. It’s amazing how much more air comes out compared to bleeding in situ or in just one alignment with the bleed port held high.

philjunior
    Free Member

Jagwire are OK although not on a par with Shimano cables (but Shimano don’t do a compressionless outer…).

My main issue with them though was that I could only find a full set of gear plus brake cables from Jagwire.

Are those from Charlie the bikemonger stainless inner cables? It doesn’t seem to say…

nedrapier

the cables themselves cost buttons, though, don’t they? Jagwire outers and and Shimano cables?

IHN

Are those from Charlie the bikemonger stainless inner cables? It doesn’t seem to say…

Pass. I think so but I wouldn’t want to say for definite without checking.

philjunior
    Free Member

the cables themselves cost buttons, though, don’t they? Jagwire outers and and Shimano cables?

Yeah but the gear cables were just not really up to it against winter weather, I had to replace quite quickly. The brakes are full length outers so the sealing/performance isn’t so critical.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Yokozuna reaction.

Del

have one set of jagwires that have done ~ 5 years on long travel HT used twice a week. think i cleaned up the end on one of them once, other than that all original parts.
    edit – that gusset kit is just enough for one end, right?

lawman91

Thanks for the feedback all, doing some more reading it sounds like the Yokozuna are the ones to go for, but can’t find anyone in the uk that stocks them? any ideas where I can get a set?

Del

note however that a regular kit also gives you end caps/ferules etc. to my mind that is valuable if you don’t have decent metal end caps already. you really do not want to use cheap plastic end caps as your expensive outer will be rendered useless in pretty short order.

Dickyboy

The 10m jagwire kit ^^^ came with about 30 metal end caps

thomthumb
    Free Member

reckon i need this on the gravel bike: bb7’s are a bit lacking on power, bite is great and modulation but ultimate breaking power just sort of tails off.

fooman

Dickyboy I meant to thank you for finding that jagwire stuff in qty will be getting a roll myself

Del

good to know Dicky, ta!

Thomb, doesn’t sound like that’s a cable problem to me.

smokey_jo

Metal ends and absolutely flat outer ends (I use my angle grinder) made my Jagwires absolutely fine.

I use gear cable inners in brake outers on my mtbs – never had one break in 10 years and the reduced friction means more power goes to braking. Also means you don’t need both a spare brake and a spare gear inner in your pack.

On road bikes you are stuck with brake innners though. I’ve found there can be a big difference in performance and feel between different levers (Sora and Tiagra – 2 different generations of). Latest version Tiagra gives better feel and pad clearance without sacrificing power over previous generation using the same calipers and cables.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Best compression-less brake cables’ is closed to new replies.