Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • best Commuting front light? cateye or niterider or exsposure
  • jacob46
    Free Member

Must be rechargeable preferably changeable battery.

I commute to work 9 miles and 5 of them down country lanes. Tarmac bit rough it parts. Missus asked me what do I want for Xmas 🙂

I’ve read reviews on

cateye volt 700, niterider 750 and exsposure joystick m9

I want the best front light without separate battery pack.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of the Niterider Lumina range: My 650 died after 5 years good service (the USB connection broke) and I’ve replaced it with the 750, which is around the same price my 650 was and brighter.

It has three usable levels and a good run time (i only use the top setting when on dark, unlit paths and roads as the other settings are more than adequate and increase the run times). Plus it’s USB chargeable, which is a must for me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Joystick 7 here, 8.5 miles each way, dark both ways. Only about 2 miles of that is lit, rest is rural cycle path and the light is ideal.

jacob46
    Free Member

Cateye 1200 out of stock but fantastic for £99.99

Mikey74 is the niterider battery replaceable mate?

mikey74
    Free Member

Jacob: This is from the NiteRider website:

Does Niterider make a replacement battery for the Lumina Series?
    A replacement battery is available for the lights (SKU #6588) and it is user replaceable. For further questions please contact customer support at 1-800-466-8366, ext 4. Click here to view video instructions on how to replace the battery.

Linky

TiRed

Cateye for the value. This from someone who has a Joystick/Strada combo. I also have a Cateye Nanoshot, and they are also excellent. Better value than Exposure, not quite as high build. Good mounting system.

My rear lights are all Cateye.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cateye 1200 out of stock but fantastic for £99.99

Out of stock? Hmmm.

Give ’em a call in the morning and ask nicely! Am sure there will still plenty left.

jacob46
    Free Member

Tired thanks

jacob46
    Free Member

Anymore recommendations?

richmars

Anymore recommendations?

Don’t just have one. It will fail sometime.

MoreCashThanDash

What’s the beam pattern like on the Cateye. I use an Exposure Maxx on low when commuting but it’s still to bright for traffic on the road sections even when pointed so far down it’s useless on the trail sections.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run a Diablo on the front, which may be out of budget, but is a good everyday light as it’s easy to charge at home or work, easy to swap between bikes, and can be bright enough for decent speed on rough, unlit sections.

See Rutland Cycles for some good Exposure prices at the moment.

jacob46
    Free Member

Richmars okay I will buy 2. Just had £160 refund from sky 😛

bob_summers

The Volt 1200 is a great light. I have a mainly unlit country lane commute and do most of it on the low setting. The high setting is just for the sketchy descents, so the battery lasts me a week (although YMMV, I am in daylight on the way in). The beam is much more suited to commuting than anything else I’ve had, with a squared-off top to it, which helps prevent dazzle if you’ve aimed it down. Mount is plasticky but stays tight and easy to adjust on the fly.

Bad points IMO are the switch only cycles ‘down’ in power, so to go from Low to High you have to go through the strobe setting. Would be nice to go in both directions. The red battery warning light comes on soon after you set it to High, though I have never managed to drain it in a week. And in-box instructions say “Not for road use” which wasn’t stated on the website I bought it from, nor mentioned in any reviews I read beforehand…

jacob46
    Free Member

Reggiegasket do they do a secure bracket for the bars?

So I don’t have to keep taking it off when I park up at work.

jacob46
    Free Member

Must admit I do like the techno that exsposure have put into its top end range. No buttons and they can charge your phone in emergencies! ! Awesome.

accu
    Free Member

for me its the exposure maxx d ,every day in use during fall/winter time..about 2 hours a day/night… brilliant!
    had before the lezyne power drive xl..really liked it, but had too many probs with it..(runtime and charging issues)

nick24
    Free Member

I have a Busch and Muller ixon Iq premium, does a good job without dazzling drivers. The beam is a bit like a cars headlight in that it has a good spread of light and cuts off at the top so you don’t dazzle oncoming traffic. Takes 4 rechargeable AA batteries which you can leave in and charge with an optional charger.

Wooliferkins
    Free Member

+1 for the Ixon, if you buy the full package it comes with rechargeables and the charger. Five hours burn on full whack and when properly adjusted doesn’t blind other road users. Did a similar year round commute for five years, excellent light.

dragon
    Free Member

A few years old now, but I use a Niterider mininewt think they still make it. Good enough for country lanes in the dark, even the awful pothole strewn ones I have to deal with. Battery is USB charged so can do it at work.

gonzy
    Free Member

C&B Seen 1200 lumen light…super bright but has a lower setting (30%), flash and SOS mode. comes with head strap and bar fittings (O rings). you can get the dedicated bar clamp for a more secure fit for an extra couple of quid. battery is a UK spec smart charger so it wont burn your house down and the standard battery lasts 3 hours on full power (up to 6 hours on the lower setting)
    i’ve had mine for 2 years now and its been brilliant
    for just under £55 you cant go wrong with this
    http://www.candb-seen.co.uk/bikehead-lights/cabs-02-series—cree-xml.html

they also do a cheaper 1000 lumen unit for £35
    http://www.candb-seen.co.uk/bikehead-lights/cabs-01—cree-xml-t6-led.html

lemonysam
    Free Member

I have the Cateye volt 300 and find it perfect for a commute almost identical to what you describe. Seems well built, good mount and I’m happy to ride at a decent clip on windy,rough country roads with it. I assume the 700 is good too.

medoramas
    Free Member

It’s been a week since I’ve had mine Niterider Lumina 750. Great light!

My commute takes me through the woods and even blasting down rooty singletrack I can leave the light on “low” beam and have everything under control.

The “flash mode” is brilliant too – very bright and rapid, but not as “techno” as my Chinese eBay £14 beauty 😆

I bought it from Ubyk – they have quite nice deal on it at the moment.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘best Commuting front light? cateye or niterider or exsposure’ is closed to new replies.