• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Best Cloud apps
  • Rickos
    Free Member

I’m a one man band so using some sort of cloud to store documents is useful so that I can access them from anywhere. I’m on Google Apps at the moment, but Google Docs doesn’t sync changes across your account when you open a document on your laptop after you’ve made changes at home. It doesn’t even recognise Word 2010 and saves it as 2007. So, not quite what I was hoping for.

So, in an ideal world I’d like a cloud that syncs my documents so that I can always see the latest version no matter where I open it. This would be for PC and Android. Don’t mind a small subscription for the right app.

Over to you lot!

IHN

Dropbox.

Next?

retro83
    Free Member

I thought the whole point of Google Docs was to use its web interface to edit the docs (wherever you are) rather than using Word. Is that not the case?

Rickos
    Free Member

retro – I think your right, but I’d prefer the old school way of doing it on my laptop when at work and then use the cloud when on other computers or even a tablet when Android 4 is a bit more widely used.

IHN – does Dropbox sync everything OK? And can it cope with the latest versions of Office?

Rickos
    Free Member

Just looked at Dropbox. So, does the Dropbox effectively replace the My Documents folder?

mefty
    Free Member

Dropbox is excellent I use it for all my working docs (got the tip from here), I use 2 laptops and a desktop and it syncs all three providing you are connected to the internet. If you are not you can still work on the doc, it saves locally as well, and then it will sync when it is next connected. Only caught out once when I had worked on my laptop offline and have not connected it to the internet before I started working on the same document on the Desktop.

I have a dropbox folder in my documents on my XP machines.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was going to suggest Rainwatch, but I think I’ve got the wrong end of the stick.

vorlich
    Free Member

Have been using Dropbox for 18 months without issue. More of less as a replacement for My Docs

Remember to keep backups though…

richc
    Free Member

Remember to keep backups though…

and encrypt your files! Especially if you want to keep the data private (dropbox has been known to accidentally expose files to the internet/other users for you).

vorlich
    Free Member

and encrypt your files! Especially if you want to keep the data private.

Agreed, Truecrypt is free and well regarded.

nickjb
    Free Member

Another +1 for dropbox. It even saves previous versions so if you accidently over-write something it’s still available on-line for download. Basically use it instead of mydocuments and everything in there is backed up on-line and between multiple computers. My partner and I use it to share files, too. We each have our own dropbox with a mutual shared folder in it.

jam-bo

oi, rick.

if your signing up to Dropbox, click this referral link and we both get a bit of extra space.

Rickos
    Free Member

Ah, bu&&er! Too late Jim, signed up out of curiosity already.

jam-bo

doesnt matter, i’m only at 31% anyway.

IHN

Sorry, been away.

Wot they all said 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Best Cloud apps’ is closed to new replies.