Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Best clipped pedals to start with.
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

I have a pair of Shimano spd shoes and was looking to getting some spd / clipped pedals, this is for fairly tame long distance xc type routes so was thinking about the Look quarts pedal or should I go for shimano SPD.

Any advice regarding multi release etc, I appreciate this is a contentious issue but I would really like to try it as cheaply as possible but don’t want my opinion to be clouded by poor equipment selection.

Any good deals out their.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I’m a fan of Shimano for beginners as there’s a bit of float (enough anyway)
    & really like the adjustable tension for people who aren’t the most confident, meaning they can set them as loose as they like until they get used to being clipped in, then up the tension to increase the security.
    Others disagree, but that’s my thoughts.
    Oh, avoid the multi release cleats, you will pull out of them when you least want to!

uwe-r
    Free Member

I picked up some cheap second hand shiano to try it out and i am still using them. They have 3 years on them and wont die. They are very heavy so if you like nice / light stuff go for decent ones straight away, fit and forget.

james
    Free Member

shimano m520 should be able to find online under £20 with cleats

variflex
    Free Member

Definitely worth starting with multi release cleats.
    So much easier to get out of quickly. Im still using them after 6 months, but have now tightened the tension on the pedals,

stufive
    Free Member

I use time pedals on both my MTB’s they really hard wearing and the time atack ones allow you to adjust the tension, easy to get in and out of too
    🙂

patriotpro
    Free Member

any of the shimano trail pedals – I got the base ones (M535 i think) for £28 off of ‘On-one’.

Scapegoat

Shimano M530, 24.95 at JE James, free shipping. Worth the extra fiver over M520s in my humble opinion.

FuzzyWuzzy

Just get 520’s or other cheap model in the Shimano range, they work as well as any other brand and are cheaper. I wouldn’t bother with multi-release cleats either. Oh and they’re known as clipless not clipped, in case you confuse anyone in a shop (they don’t have toe clips from ye olde days).

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve seen nothing to persuade me that there is a better VFM pedal than 520s.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Worth the extra fiver over M520s in my humble opinion.

Why (genuine question)?

binners

multi release are a waste of time.

Go for 530’s. They’re cracking. The platform makes life a bit easier when clipping in and provides that bit of extra support

Scapegoat

Binners has it. The cage surround makes them easier to clip into, and more of a target on tech climbs if you have to dab.

Multi-release are a pain on a mountainbike.

rocketman
    Free Member

Multirelease cleats most excellent imho

lunge

You have the expensive bit already (the shoes). Buy a pair of 520’s for about £20, use the standard cleats, back off the tension a bit and ride. If you like them you can decide to upgrade in due course.

Accept you will have at least 1 comedy moment when you forget to unclip and fall slowly onto your side. Accept this will normally happen at the front of a queue of traffic when stopped at a red light.

Scapegoat

What? Upgrade to a pair that costs a fiver more? Why not just find the extra fiver and start with the good ones?

lunge

Scapegoat, no. Upgrade to the lighter XT or XTR ones if the OP wants to, though I’m very happy having 520’s on my otherwise XT clad bike.

Scapegoat

I had a pair similar to the 524. They are great for techy stuff, and a good bet for a “novice” but can clog with mud a bit. Probably a good bet as a first pedal.

binners

The 530 is a metal cage. The 424 is plastic, and I have managed to smash one off. Having ridden plenty miles with both, I’d definitely go for the 530’s as they’re a lot harder wearing

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I started with time atacs – the cleat has two release positions and you can dremel down the angle more to get out easier whilst learning.

I now use Look 4x4s, like eggbeaters. Never have any fear that I can’t get out if needed, and have done multiple emergency exits to save myself.

Can also get in quick if needed, like on a steep slope.

plus they clear mud well so no fear of the mechanism jamming up with mud.

martymac

+1 for shimano M520s, i have these on my commuter bike and xt on the susser.
    dont bother with multi release cleats, ive been using spd since they were introduced in the uk, ive only fell off once because of them, (about an hour after i started using them, my mates told me it was pretty funny)
    use them until the cleats are worn out then buy a new pair of pedals, pedals (with cleats) are 20 quid, cleats on their own are about 17 quid.
    all of this is assuming you want shimano of course, ive never used anything else.

ski
    Free Member

Still using 520’s on all my bikes 😉

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Time Atacs, I’ll never buy anything else now. I’ve got 2 pairs, one has lasted over 10 years and the other is 5 and still going strong. no maintenance required.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Best clipped pedals to start with.’ is closed to new replies.