Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Best clip in peddles.
  • dvnjhn

I have a basic pair of spd pedals, which I do like, but I am looking to upgrade them (as they are more geared towards cross country). Thinking of either the crank brothers candy II or their mallet II. However the time x-roc s also look good. Any suggestions or input (or other clip in peddles in the same price range would be appreciated).

loddrik
    Free Member

Xtr spuds for the win

hambl90
    Free Member

Time wins every time 😉

MarkLG
    Free Member

Always used Shimano. Currently using XT Trails.

ononeorange

A dictionary.

hairyscary

I’ve used Shimano, Crank Brothers Mallets and Time x-rocs.

Time are the best.

iainc

Time Roc S on the mtb and CX, Time Xpresso 4 on road bike. look Keo on track bike. Personally I rate Time above all the others I have tried, which includes most, but I do have dodgy knees and need float.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Time X Roc are brill. Also Time Z-Control for a platform style pedal. Zero maintenance, work when caked in thick mud, last for years.

dvnjhn

Love the look of the Time X.

However, I have looked for the ‘a dictionary’ make, but I can’t find any sites who stock they pedals…

Honestly, ononeorange!!! Wtf. I have the big ‘C’ – dyslexia… I am on the iPad so I can not check my spelling or grammar on word. So if you ain’t got anything good to say there is a saying in Scotland, which is: bolt ya radge.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you go with CB get the 3s the wings are better and you get full bearings over bushings. Bearing change is ten mins.

dvnjhn

Wobbliscott, it is saying the time Z-control pedals are not in production anymore, but they do look good.

stu170
    Free Member

Ononeorange. Is that really a helpful reply. Yes you own an audi. Yes you own an orange. Yes you work in middle management. Well done you. Guess life is so great get a life you moronic idiot. And actually give advisr to the op rather than slate a few spelling mistakes you sad little person. This is what is wrong with STW. And I hope the mods see this.

As for the op. Shimano all the way. You can loosen them to add for float and easier clip ins and the shimano cleats last an age

sbob
    Free Member

I am looking to upgrade them

What is wrong with them then?

pitduck
    Free Member

time

ratherbeintobago

Time ATACs FTW.

CB pedals have an ‘interesting’ reputation in terms of durability but they may be better now.

I wouldn’t mind a try of the new Speedplay MTB pedal, but a) I don’t think Speedplay can get them to work because they’ve been on the point of launch for three years and haven’t made it to market, and b) they’ll be horrifically expensive.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Xtr not the lightest but just work so well and last for ages

jamj1974

ononeorange – Member
    A dictionary.

Whilst you are looking at yours look up the meaning of two words – ‘pointless’ and ‘pedant’…

dvnjhn – Member
    Love the look of the Time X.
    However, I have looked for the ‘a dictionary’ make, but I can’t find any sites who stock they pedals…
    Honestly, ononeorange!!! Wtf. I have the big ‘C’ – dyslexia… I am on the iPad so I can not check my spelling or grammar on word. So if you ain’t got anything good to say there is a saying in Scotland, which is: bolt ya radge.

Bravo!

fourbanger
    Free Member

Go for Shimano. Any of them. Run them for 15 years without issue.
    Time’s retention system is prone to breaking when you really get the power down.

seadog101

Time ATAC. Mine are still going strong after ten years, and they work fab in the mud.

shortcut

Time are my preference, Shimano are Also excellent. In my experience the only people who break pedALS are running Crank Bros which are light but useless.

warpcow
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned Time pedals yet? They’re ace. The only broken ones you see are the ‘race’ onesbwith hollow bars. Not even sure they do those anymore (advice used to be only to get the Roc Atacs, not just Atac).

mudmonster
    Free Member

If you go with CB get the 3s the wings are better and you get full bearings over bushings. Bearing change is ten every ten mins.

Time on my work bike, shimano 959 on MTB. Will change to time when the 959’s wear out but I think they are indestructible.

t-p26
    Free Member

Been running Time PEDALS:wink: 16 years with out a failure. Not even “had” to do bearing maintenance.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I have to admit I retired a pair of old time alium pedals when the bearings went in the right one – only because I could get hold of a service kit and at 12 years of constant use I figured I had actually got my monies worth out of them. The only servicing I did of them was to keep them clean and give them a spray of wd40

Have another two pairs still going strong never felt inclined to try any others

honourablegeorge

loddrik – Member
    Xtr spuds for the win

Everyone I know with XTR pedals has had them fail. Pedal off the axle. Dunno if those issues are sorted now or not.

lunge

Whichever Shimano pedals fit your budget is my advice. I have the cheap 520’s on my bike as I see no need to spend more. If you do I’ve heard very good things about the XT trail pedals.

carlos
    Free Member

Finally got sick of having to rebuild the Mallets I had and went for Time Z controls (not sure if they do them anymore though) similar to the Time Atac DH4. Awesome pedals that haven’t needed anything more than cleaning since I got them and are still spinning and feeling like new.

brodie
    Free Member

XT or XTR if feeling flush.

Ive been getting on with the XT trails quite well, they give a very planted feel.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Egg-beaters are great for mud clearance but I’ve found all models fall apart in a short time (usually bearings, I’ve also broken the bars with a gentle impact). Time ATAC are almost as good in mud and last years – I’ve never broken or worn one out in 10y. SPD always used to be crap in mud (at least, various cheap models we tried) but I haven’t used them in over 10 years, maybe the designs have improved.

khani
    Free Member

Tmie.. Teh bset padels uot tehre fmro a lnog lsaitng baernig piotn fo viwe adn tehy dnot flal aprat lkie carnk borthres nad TXR siht…
    Innit… 😀
    [Splet ni sloidarity wiht PO ot gte no hte pedtans itts…]

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve always used Time pedals, did have a short stint on Shimano, but didn’t like them. The Time Z-control were ok but heavy. The new Time atac MX6 are just as good and 100gm lighter.

chestrockwell

I’ve just got a pair of XT’s with the cage round ’em (are they the Trail?) and they are ace, highly recommended.

They replaced a pair of Shimano M520’s that I’ve had for years and was waiting for to fail before replacing. They didn’t break so are now spares.

shifter
    Free Member

gotthreepairsoftimesatacsrocandzsallhavebeengreatallmypedalsaretimeexc
    eptformynanoflatswhatthehelldoesbigcdyslexiameanisthatsomekindo
    fjokeimplayinglikekhaniimapedantinreallifethisisfunkinkillingme

khani
    Free Member

😀 funneeahha…

andyl
    Free Member

Shimano M530s for me. Much better than the versions without the extra platform.

You can pick them up for <£20 a set with cleats which is especially good if you have multiple bikes to convert. the XT look a bit more blingy and don’t need the special tool to dismantle (tool costs peanuts and tbh I have not had to touch mine anyway). XTR are thinner which I would like but the trail ones seem to have a nasty habit of falling off the axle.

loddrik
    Free Member

Only had two pairs of clip in pedals (*), the aforementioned XTR’s and some M747s. Both never had an issue whatsoever. Smashed them on all types of rocks, never had any bearing issues. Only reason I got rid of the 747s was I wanted something a little more blingy.

* if I’m honest I’ve also had some eggbeaters and Candys, both of which I smashed up within a few rides.

jamj1974

Crank Bros work for me.

danielgroves
    Free Member

XT Trails are lovely. Would love a set on the new bike, but given it’s already looking to come in at about £2k after the other got nicked, I doubt it’s going to happen.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Best clip in peddles.’ is closed to new replies.