Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Best cheapish Fitbit or equivalent
  • leythervegas
    Free Member

My Mrs is after something that works on the bike that records calories burned, pedometer, distance etc that can maybe link up to an iPhone app. She uses Strava but is finding the calorie counter wildly inaccurate and also needs to use it as a pedometer when she is at work. Any recommendations?

drofluf
    Free Member

What’s she comparing the Strava calorie results with? Anything she gets will have its own model and inherent faults unless she uses a power meter

leythervegas
    Free Member

We did an 11 mile route the other day at about 9mph average and her Strava said she had burned 205 calories while mine said 650. I know there’s differences between profiles that will affect this but not by that much. Hence why she wants something a bit more accurate.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    drofluf
    Free Member

Just been down a similar route for my (non-cycling) wife and in the end decided on a FitBit. What it doesn’t do is distance – but can estimate from the number of steps and estimated stride length. Will record heart rate, steps and on the app provides an estimate of calories etc..

But, I can’t see how, other than measuring effort, it will add much to being on a bike. But if she has an iPhone she could use a Strava or other app for distance/speed/elevation?

But playing Devil’s Advocate on the original question, how do you know that your calorie count isn’t the one that’s inaccurate? I see these devices as fine for comparing your own day to day effort, but not for comparing with someone else unless you both have the same devices

drofluf
    Free Member

Sorry, meant to add that I looked at cheaper alternatives, but none of them seemed to get consistently good reviews or lack a companion app.

rone

Mio fuse , got mine 2nd hand from cex £25.

Better HRM than most and good for the bike.

Upgraded to a Mio fuse now.

IHN

We have a Garmin Vivoactive knocking around doing nothing as the Mrs has replaced it with a newer version. One of these:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/150767

I’ve been meaning to stick on the classified for weeks, open to offers if you’re interested

leythervegas
    Free Member

Looks a little out of out price range that mate but cheers for the offer

daver27
    Free Member

I’ve been using one of these

Polar M200

brilliant bit of kit, heart rate tracks identically to my Garmin 25 with pro strap. so much so that i don’t use the Garmin any more.

The polar flow app is great and syncs with Strava.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Best cheapish Fitbit or equivalent’ is closed to new replies.