• This topic has 41 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Ewan.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Best cheap Chinese android phone
  • Ewan
    Free Member

Hi all – I’ve evidently dropped my cheap Chinese phone one to many times. What’s currently the best one to get?

Needs to be sub 200 quid, take an SD card, run stock android. Ideally with a fingerprint reader.

Thanks!

stumpy01

Dunno whether it’s Chinese or not, but the Lenovo P2 has all the things you require, but sits at the top end of your budget – I think it’s only available through Three.

Ah, actually….not sure it runs just stock Android.

It has a genuine 3 day battery life if you believe the reviews (it’s got a large battery in it, something like 5000mAh).

It’s probably gonna be my next phone – once I decide my 4 year old Xperia has had it….

Ewan
    Free Member

Hmmm, looks interesting, but I need it to be unlocked as I’m on Vodafone.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stumpy01

According to OFCOM, Three haven’t locked phones to their network since December 2013….

See here:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/mobile-phone-locking-and-unlocking

Expand the “Mobile providers’ current handset locking policies” tab…

AlexSimon

We’ve just bought this for £69. Takes a 32GB sd card.
    Just going through the process of unlocking via ebay. Got the code, we’ll see if it works (O2 don’t really like unlocking of PAYG as they are slightly subsidised).

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/tariff/moto/g-3rd-generation-like-new/?productId=abee041c-a359-49b1-8164-0d1c25ef8afa&planId=0aba639e-c1f5-416f-a988-07e6110c1ddb&contractType=payasyougo&viewType=grid

mattyfez

P9 lite.

You’d need to install Google launcher on it though but it’s free and easy.

AlexSimon

As above post – unlock seemed to work fine for £1.69 from Ebay

Ewan
    Free Member

Whats the battery like on the P9 lite. It’s only 5.2 inches i think isn’t it? I’m quite taken with the big screen phones – my current one is 5.5 inches.

johnners
    Free Member

We’ve just bought this for £69. Takes a 32GB sd card.

It’ll probably work fine with a 64.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

I got a Redmi note 3 and was really happy with it for 18mths until it got waterlogged on a very wet day in snowdonia.

Replaced it with a Note 4 pro and very happy with that as well. Ticks all your boxes and is £165.

Been using Chinese phones phones for 4 years now and wouldn’t look back

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-Pro-Helio-X20-3GB-64GB-Smartphone—Silver-372795.html

Ewan
    Free Member

That does look good – is that the site you got it from? Half the problem is finding a site that is legit and will ship quickly…

nbt

debenhams do redmi phones

edit – debenhams did redmi phones but don’t appear to do so at the moment

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Yeh bought 3 phones from them never had a drama. You can get it shipped from the EU warehouse which is in Spain. Pay a bit more but not then paying import tax and not having to wait so worth it.
    My last one turned up in 4 working days from ordering.

failedengineer

Motorola Moto G4? Made by Lenovo, I think. can’t fault it apart from lack of a compass.

Ewan
    Free Member

Ah how annoying – was about to pull the trigger on the xaomi and just noticed it doesn’t do 800MHz 4G. Which is a bit of deal breaker I think.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

P8 lite that Voda retentions offered us last week is quite a nice phone tbh.

edhornby

I’ve got a P8 lite and it’s great so a P9 should be spot on

carlosg
    Free Member

The Mrs has a Vernee Thor , she’s only had it for a couple of months but is happy with it .
    I have a Blackview BV6000 that is a bit of a brick (no more really than my galaxy S3 in an otterbox defender was) but I bought it for it’s ability to take a knock more than anything else . No fingerprint reader though.
    I’m about to take a punt on an Umi diamond x for my eldest lad after he killed his Motorola moto g , the reviews look good but I’m not expecting miracles for under £100.

Leku
    Free Member

https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/nokia-5

No certain if they are out yet.

PePPeR

The 8gb Motorola moto G3 is a pain, try and get a G4 play 16gb, they’ll come in your budget apart from the fingerprint part.

WillH

I’ve had a P9000 for a while now, very happy with it. Does everything on your list.

Ewan
    Free Member

I’ve seen some reviews of the p9000 that say the GPS is a bit sketchy. I quite often use my phone for route finding when climbing, so having a GPS that works is handy…

seosamh77
    Free Member

just get a moto G4(not the play), superb phone. though that G3 for 60 odd quid is a bargain, though might be getting on a bit these days.

Ewan
    Free Member

G4 doesn’t have a finger print thing does it? £189 doesn’t seem great value to what else you can get (still annoyed about the Xaomi, thought it was perfect!).

CraigW
    Free Member

Moto G5 has just been announced, should be available in a few weeks. It has a fingerprint reader.

Or for a really cheap phone, the Lenovo B is pretty good. About £50 on PAYG.

Ewan
    Free Member

Yeah, seen the G5, annoyingly it’s going to be out too late. I’m off to do some climbing in a couple of weeks and i could really do with a phone that’s reliable. My current one is a pain – I’ll have a map backup of course, but it’s a pain to keep pulling that up half way up a mountain!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Ewan – Member
    G4 doesn’t have a finger print thing does it?

G4 plus does(as well as having a better camera and a bit more oomph I think). though I don’t really see the attraction of a finger print scanner?

Surprised the G4 is going for 190, was 130 when I bought it! Guess 190 would have made me consider other options!

WillH

Ewan – Member
    I’ve seen some reviews of the p9000 that say the GPS is a bit sketchy. I quite often use my phone for route finding when climbing, so having a GPS that works is handy…

The only time mine won’t find a satellite is when I’m in the office. Even with it on the window-sill on a clear day. Everywhere else it’s fine. Maybe we have some sort of Faraday cage windows in the office?

Ewan
    Free Member

Ah interesting, I hadn’t realised that the G4 Plus had a fingerprint reader and that the G4 also had a big screen. I assumed the plus just meant “same phone bigger screen”.

It’s the G4 Plus that is 190 quid, so maybe I can find the G4 for quite a bit cheaper which might make me forget about my love of fingerprint sensors…

seosamh77
    Free Member

aye screen size and battery are awesome. If you are looking for gaming power, probably look elsewhere, though it can play a few games. But for everything else, have to say it’s been flawless. The battery is superb on it, did i mention that? 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

the camera on it is alright, not great but decent enough, as mentioned, the plus is an upgrade if you want more there, how much so, not so sure, you’ll need to look it up.

disco_stu
    Free Member

Heads up for those considering a Motorola, my Moto X Play has died after about 14 months the support person I’ve just been speaking to has said you only get a 12 month warranty for repairs – I thought you got a 2 year warranty on electrical products?

nbt

I too thought EU regs do say 2 years, you might want to check that

cp

though I don’t really see the attraction of a finger print scanner?

Use one for a day and you’ll never go back. Instant unlocking rather than pin code access…

Ewan
    Free Member

Heads up for those considering a Motorola, my Moto X Play has died after about 14 months the support person I’ve just been speaking to has said you only get a 12 month warranty for repairs – I thought you got a 2 year warranty on electrical products?

Not a problem – I generally destroy them in 12 months 😀 Hence I don’t want to spend much!

disco_stu
    Free Member

I too thought EU regs do say 2 years, you might want to check that

Yes I plan to, got to try a hard reset on the phone when I get home this evening before having to deal with warranty repair

This is the chatlog from earlier:
    09:40:37 AM]Simone: Please bear in mind that if we need to send th ephone for repair, it would be a chargeable one becasue the device is out of warranty by date
    [09:41:13 AM]disco_stu: Don’t items sold in the EU have a 2 year warranty?
    [09:41:30 AM]Simone: Yes but in the UK it is only 12 months I am afraid
    [09:42:31 AM]disco_stu: The UK is still part of the EU though isn’t it?
    [09:42:37 AM]Simone: Yes it is
    [09:42:43 AM]Simone: but it has different regulations
    [09:43:05 AM]Simone: I believe for the high consumption of tech products
    [09:43:21 AM]Simone: You can find it written in our terms and condition anyway
    [09:43:32 AM]Simone: https://motorola-global-en-uk.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/731902/1384233456/redirect/1/filename/Warranty_EN_12.pdf

seosamh77
    Free Member

cp – Member
    though I don’t really see the attraction of a finger print scanner?
    Use one for a day and you’ll never go back. Instant unlocking rather than pin code access…

I think I can live with 2 touches and 1.3 secs to open my phone! 😆

cp

[09:41:30 AM]Simone: Yes but in the UK it is only 12 months I am afraid
    [09:42:31 AM]disco_stu: The UK is still part of the EU though isn’t it?
    [09:42:37 AM]Simone: Yes it is
    [09:42:43 AM]Simone: but it has different regulations

They’re right, but a quick google suggests UK is 6 years not 2, though after 6 months the onus is on you to prove a manufacturing fault.

And their terms can say anything, but if it’s not within law then their terms are not valid.

cp

I think I can live with 2 touches and 1.3 secs to open my phone!

fair enough, we have to have a minimum 6 character pin… even using the same characters it still means 6 jabs at the screen.

seosamh77
    Free Member

swipe to unlock, swipe pattern, sorted! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Best cheap Chinese android phone’ is closed to new replies.