• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by thv3.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Best cheap 29'er singlespeed?
  • krixmeister

All-

Looking for a 29'er singlespeed, for trying the big-wheel route and general commuting. Requirements are:

-Decent quality
    -Cheap
    -Sub 25 pounds?
    -Singlespeed
    -Hydraulic discs

What's best bet for off-the-peg bike? Or should I just trawl eBay?

–Kristan

clubber
    Free Member

Define cheap.

You could get a Diamondback Mojito for about £250 and upgrade that.

Chevin
    Free Member

This will be worth the wait… (Due in September) It's an easy upgrade to go hydraulic discs.

Gary Fisher Marlin Singlespeed

Matthew

clubber
    Free Member

Trek Marlin SS, surely… 😉

Chevin
    Free Member

I'm coming to terms with that…. 😐

krixmeister

Clubber-

Fair enough. Under 500 quid. 400 is my ideal target.

Chevin-

The GF is definitely a possibility – thanks for pointing this out. Any idea when it is meant to be in shops?

the-muffin-man

You could get a Diamondback Mojito for about £250 and upgrade that.

That's what I did – they're now £199…

eBay Mojito

This will be worth the wait… (Due in September) It's an easy upgrade to go hydraulic discs.

Apart from the low-rent forks I can't see how the spec of that is so much better than the Diamond Back for over double the price.

Chevin
    Free Member

Latest date from Trek is 21st of August into the UK, add a couple of days on for coming to us.

Matthew

epicyclo

The best cheap 29er is a good quality secondhand one. That way you start with a good frame and sorted handling.

eg a 2nd hand Swift or Scandal

Clink

The colour scheme on the GF is awful! I'm sure it won't affect the sweet ride though! 😉

tazzymtb

trawl ebay and the classifieds and you could easily build a fisher rig/on-one/haro/diamondback etc.. with some nice second hand components well under your budget. 😀

b_man
    Free Member

I just bought a Mojito for £199 and fair play, for that money you can't really fault it. It definitely needs the brake upgrade to some hydraulics and the bars/grips/stem (stem is too long and high, grips need a bit of padding and bars could be a bit wider) don't suit me that well but the frame and wheels, seat and post all work fine and I had a load of fun out on mine last night….

crispy
    Free Member

Yup, put a Mojito together for a mate last night and went for a spin on it – seems like great fun to me for 200 squids delivered! Except for the fact that they sent it out with two left pedals, I can't fault it for the cash.

b_man
    Free Member

Mine had been set up by a monkey too, the tensioner was causing problems, needed links removed from the chain and the doofer modified. Not sure about the pedals as I put my own on.

thepodge
    Free Member

bloody hell, for £200 i might go for that

thv3
    Free Member

I got one for £139 ex display.

Great cheap way to try the 29er thing, suitably impressed for £139!!

Finishing kit is rubbish though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Best cheap 29'er singlespeed?’ is closed to new replies.