Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Best chain scrubber
  • Pieface

I used to use a Park Cyclone chain scrubber which I was happy with. Before I get a new one, is there anything else I should consider?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Consider buying two Park Cyclones on a black friday deal?

I’ve used them since they came out and not (yet) found anything that is as good VFM. And that works as well.

They also seem to be tolerant to just about anything i put in it to clean my chain.
    The other one i had pretty much dissolved when i put anything more aggressive than that finishline citrus degreaser in it.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Not tried anything else in recent years, but been happy with my Muc-Off X-3 Chain Cleaner since CRC’s Valentines Day 2016 promo! 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadkenny
    Free Member

Squirt lube. No need to scrub chains then. 😛

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Squirt lube. No need to scrub chains then

Rock n Roll extreme, for the same reasons as above, but lasts far better on wet rides than squirt does.

excitable1
    Free Member

I had the Finish Line chain cleaner and it lasted for years and then bought the Park Cyclone.

The Park is not a patch on the Finish Line cleaner and is falling apart after a year. You have to out more fluid in the Park and the brushes have less contact with the chain so it doesn’t get the chain as clean or as quickly as the Finish Line. The Finish Line is also a better build quality. Oh and the Finish Line has magnets in it…. 😯 ???!!!

sadexpunk

just bought some rock’n’roll extreme, and ive got a chain waiting to be cleaned. do i clean the chain first so i start with a spotless chain then apply, or will the RNR do the cleaning for me?

iainc

^^^ clean and degrease it first

tom200

Paintbrush?

Northwind

Take off, degrease in tub of paraffin, soak in putoline wax, refit. Sounds like a faff, is a faff, but cleans chain better and lubes chain better.

(I’m doing it right now, mostly it’s just waiting for things to happen, the actual labour is just a couple of minutes)

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I had the Finish Line chain cleaner and it lasted for years and then bought the Park Cyclone.

The Park is not a patch on the Finish Line cleaner and is falling apart after a year. You have to out more fluid in the Park and the brushes have less contact with the chain so it doesn’t get the chain as clean or as quickly as the Finish Line. The Finish Line is also a better build quality. Oh and the Finish Line has magnets in it…. ???!!!Funny, was the Finishline one i had last time i bought one. Soon as i tried non-finishline degreaser in it, it went brittle, cloudy and cracked.

The Park has a magnet in it too.

pnik

Ive a cheapie one, possibly brand-x which is ok, but do these actually clean the outside of the narrow links? I always seem to end up with them black and have to get in there manually and do each link, which basically means i dont. I may change lube when this one runs out. Using green oil which like most “green” products is a compromise.
    I think it fenwicks degreaser/concentrated bike wash at the moment

andysredmini
    Free Member

I now use a park one after using a great one from Aldi (got thrown away by mistake) then the rubbish finishline one above. I used to have to partially clean the chain before using the finishline one but now even the dirtiest muddiest chains come up spotless with the park one. i use jizer then a bit of warm water and washing up liquid to remove the degreaser. They look like new in a couple of minutes. The finish line one would never clean the side plates or the recesses between the side plates so i binned it. Its amazing how much metal the magnet picks up.

mcj78
    Free Member

What type of degreasers are folk using in these chain cleaners? Fairy / Stardrops / random citrus bulk degreaser / expensive “bike specific” brands?

I used to do the white spirit in a jar, but the shed is inaccessible just now due to advanced tetris-like cramming of a barbecue / lawnmower / asociated crap etc. etc. and if I leave it in the house it’ll end up in tears (mine)

J

aphex_2k
    Free Member

deadkenny – Member
    Squirt lube. No need to scrub chains then.

Squirt just turns my drivetrain grey and dull.

Big fan of Purple Extreme and their own citrus degreaser.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

What type of degreasers are folk using in these chain cleaners? Fairy / Stardrops / random citrus bulk degreaser / expensive “bike specific” brands?

I use a bulk eco tar spot remover, about 6 quid for 4.5 litres.

We buy it in bulk to clean the tar off the cars, the tar gets there thanks to the make up of the local tarmac and the extensive use of studs through the winter.

It’s eco as most cars will need two or three bottles of it a year. Rather than a little 500ml squirty bottle once every 5……..

ransos
    Free Member

Swarfega oil & grease remover. Works well, comes in a massive tub.

mcj78
    Free Member

This stuff?

looks like B&Q have it for £8 – not much dearer than the random budget stuff i’ve seen & the reviews are all glowing – like my chain will be 8)

Cheers!

xyeti
    Free Member

I like to keep my chains spotless, I keep a big jar of petrol in the garage and usually soak it in that. I’ve tried pretty much every single method on chains from two toothbrushes taped together to Finish Line chain cleaners, muc-off ones various degreasers and most things in between.

If I want to give it a really good clean I blow everything off it with the Jet Wash.
    this should never ever be done I know but I’ve been doing it for years now and it’s been fine. Rock n roll blue once it’s dried out and it’s fine.

nash

If I’ve got the time I find it easier to remove the chain putting it in an Aldi ultrasonic cleaner with Screwfix’s No-Nonsense degreaser, once clean and dry I apply ProGold Extreme.

Otherwise it’s the Park Cleaner, although find the plastic does get fragile quickly – so when they release their metal professional version I may get it if the price is right!

bonesetter
    Free Member

+1 for the Pro Gold – after trying all the lubes I settled on this. Never collects crud and really does self clean

When fitting a new chain I use the Park with white spirit and then the ProGold. Water and a brush gets it back to clean again

thorpedo

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Best chain scrubber’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts