Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Decent chain guide for around £50?
  • thedon
    Free Member

I’ve looked at loads of reviews and still haven’t come across one that sounds half decent. Will I have to budget more for a chain guide or are there any decent ones for around £50? I would prefer a minimal MRP 1x style TBH, but I’m not too fussed.

warpcow
    Free Member

Superstar?

geetee1972
    Free Member

My experience with the top guide only MRP device was very frustrating. Unless you’re using one of the new clutch mechanism rear derailleurs, a top only guide will still result in the chain coming off the lower part of the big ring.

This should be a problem, as when you pedal forward the chain should just come straight back on. But with the MRP, what would frequently happen is that the chain would torque up against the inner part of the guide and push the back plate inwards, causing the chain to then drop and wedge down between the ring and back plate.

The e13 ones don’t have this problem because the back plate is stiffer. I don’t know whether the superstar ones would have the same problem as the MRP, it being a cheaper option and all, but the e13 single guide is under £50 anyway so that would be my choice.

continuity
    Free Member

The e13 ones don’t have this problem because the back plate is stiffer. I don’t know whether the superstar ones would have the same problem as the MRP,

#

Yes, they do. And FWIW, the e.13 ones do tend to also. It’s a problem with the one-sided bb mount backplate. Eventually I just bought an E13 Trail full guide, and haven’t had a problem (aside from noise) since.

xiphon
    Free Member

I’m selling a SuperStar Plasma – email in profile if you’re interested.

Ali

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Top only = Superstar. Mine worked faultlessly for a year before I went SS. Some people will say they flex etc which is bollocks – it can’t flex. Its the BB/cranks flexing but some on here love to slate Superstar stuff at every opportunity despite it being good and dirt cheap.

Top and bottom guide – I’ve been running an MRP G2 for 2 years now on my ‘trail’ full susser and its been faultless. Picked it up slightly used for £45.

brant
    Free Member

Them Bioncon ones.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I used a Superstar XCR one fine on a 1x 9 setup and currently have the Superstar Plasma on a 1×10.

Both fine, the Plasma a bit more secure but never any issues with either.

continuity
    Free Member

Its the BB/cranks flexing but some on here love to slate Superstar stuff at every opportunity despite it being good and dirt cheap.

‘ve been running an MRP G2 for 2 years now on my ‘trail’ full susser

If the SS guide didn’t flex, why wouldn’t you use that on your ‘trail’ full susser?

Hint: I’ve had the ss guide. It flexes. You can tell because when it flexes and jams the chain between the backplate and rings, the only way to bring it back is to flex the backplate again. Not the BB. Not the Crank. Don’t be a silly billy.

If you don’t lose your chain with the single guide you don’t need a full guide because you aren’t riding techy enough stuff.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Decent chain guide for around £50?’ is closed to new replies.