Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Best chain for singlespeeding.
  • ds3000
    Free Member

Currently using a 9 speed Shimano HG 53 which is grinding a little bit, not sure what that’s all about. Any other suggestions, what are other people rolling?

Bucko

Check out Charlie

hexhamstu
    Free Member

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/kmc-z510-hx-chain-18-42-p.asp

This one, unless you want one of the snazzy coloured ones.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

z510

Garry_Lager

Used a bmx chain for years, v reliable and long lasting as I recall.

oxym0r0n

+1

Andy-R

KMC Z610HX gets my vote.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

How can you ride a normal chain on a singlespeed? I tried that once and it lasted 3 rides before it was destroyed!

I’m using a KMC half-link chain, but have to adjust the tension after most rides and take a link out every once in a while. Since it was fitted I’ve removed two links as the chain has elongated.

Does everyone else find this happens and is there a chain out there that will just stretch a bit, then stop so I don’t have to keep messing about with it?

PaulD
    Free Member

KMC Z610 Rustbuster chain approx £7 from CRC.

PaulD

footflaps

I use a half-link BMX chain.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Wipperman Connex. I have never ever broken one on all my bikes including both geared and SS, on and off-road.

Best quick link on the market as well, bar none. Comes apart much easier than SRAM or KMC.

sp
    Free Member

I use these sexy beasts

amedias
    Free Member

610HX for 3/32 sprockets/chainrings or 510HX for 1/8

they last ages, they are very strong, they are cheap, and they have very deep plates on the inner links so are very very secure even when run quite slack.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

£5.99 posted

z510

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Been running a SRAM 951 for a year or so without problems

ds3000
    Free Member

In case anyone’s interested I’ve located the source of my grinding/vibrating drivetrain problem. A very worn rear cog.

Was working ok-ish prior to putting on a new chain and adjusting chainline, must have put the cog back on the other way round – causing all manner of noises.

So, now got a Shimano HG-53 chain with 44t Middleburn std chainring and superstar 18t rear cog, it’s now almost silent and smooth.

FuzzyWuzzy

Surely half-link chains ‘stretch’ more/faster than a normal chain? Given stretch is actually the pins wearing and elongating the holes they sit in then the less you have of them the better? Apart from being able to fine-tune tension a bit better I can’t see the point of half-link chains

dufresneorama
    Free Member

£5.99 posted

z510

Dispatched 2hrs 15min after purchase 🙂

Andy-R

FuzzyWuzzy – Member
    Surely half-link chains ‘stretch’ more/faster than a normal chain? Given stretch is actually the pins wearing and elongating the holes they sit in then the less you have of them the better?

The same number of pins/bushes in a half link chain as a normal chain – each link is joggled so it is both an inner link and an outer link, each link is the same so you can shorten or lengthen in 1/2″ increments.
    It’s the joggling that makes them more prone to elongation as the sideplates want to straighten out under load.
    I can’t see any advantage to them.

Aidan
    Free Member

No-one ever seems to agree with me (except fuzzhead this time) but I use SRAM 9 speed chains. Whichever one is cheapest at the time.

Cross-compatibility with other riders and easily available spares if required. Never had a problem with them.

micky
    Free Member

I have just built up my first singlespeed with a 3/32 singlspeed specific Taya chain bought for a fiver off e-bay. Works very nicely.
    I have a friend with a 1/2 link chain and I like the feel of it when peddling. It’s treakly smooth feeling.

PaulD
    Free Member

micky,

Consider replacing the Taya joining link with a KMC or SRAM one….Taya are truly awful and prone to popping off when you least want it.

PaulD

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Best chain for singlespeeding.’ is closed to new replies.