• This topic has 21 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by igm.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Best casual riding gear?
  • troberts1994
    Free Member

I’ve always been one for bog standard t-shirt and denim shorts kind of riding but for long rides this can take its toll! What does everyone recommend for comfortable riding gear that is quick drying, doesn’t get too smelly and looks pretty subtle?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Have a look at Swrve. I bought some of their shorts and they’re probably the best pair I’ve ever had. It’s all normal looking clothing designed for riding.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Castelli Sanremo 3.2

1-shed
    Free Member

The castelli stuff above will be lovely to ride in but is not casual/understated. I have got a pair of decathlon walking trousers which I wear with a pair of padded under shorts or bib shorts for longer rides. On my top half a plain merino long sleeve top and either a gilet or a nice howies wind proof jacket. I pick up bits from TKMAX outdoor stuff but not cycling specific. I now ride with flats which means I just wear approach shoes. When I used SPD I felt that being lycra man was the way to go. Flats and casual clothing abliet slightly technical is a good comprise. Cheers 1 shed.

sirromj

For tops I usually pick up generic lightweight + fast drying sports tops by rbx/underarmour/etc cheap from the Tk-Maxx/Mountain-Wharehouse/etc.

kiwijohn

I’m a fan of Dakine, especially there flannel shirts. Most of it is a bit more subtle than Fox/Troy Lee.
    Club Ride does some nice casual stuff as well.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I have a pair of endura shorts which basically look like dress shorts (not boardies) you would wear on hols. Match that to a plain black wicking t short from helly hansen or similar
    http://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=108&initcode=E8031

core

Aldi

maccruiskeen

Its a shame Surface clothes aren’t made anymore – their shorts were really good.

Theres some heavily reduced Sombrio stuff on CRC at the moment – bit of an acquired taste style wise but theres some more subtle stuff amongst it and their stuff is generally well thought out .

LAT

I have some Club Ride shirts. They aren’t the best for a humid climate as they don’t wick particularly well. I do enjoy wearing the cowboy looking one as it challenges the sensibilities of some of my friends.

epicyclo

Merino base layer and casual synthetic shirt from Haglof or Berghans or the like.

Endura Humvees for shorts. Keela trousers if coolish.

Gives enough pockets for all the doodaas like mobile phones, wallets, multitool etc when out for a casual day.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Castelli is enduro for roadies, way too common for your proper sportive expert now! In saying that, I reckon at the recent ride to the sun morvelo clad warriors outnumbered the castelli clan, incredibly.

As above, surface was ace, I’ll need to have a look at swrve.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Is this for off road or on road?

jbproductions
    Free Member

I’m currently living in Craghopper Kiwi Pro shorts. They are relatively smart especially in grey – also available at about half the price of cycling specific shorts. The material is thin though – I’d wear with roadie shorts or some sort of liner for longer rides. Possibly they will wear quicker too.

http://www.hawkshead.com/kiwi-pro-long-shorts-black-0-5.html

olddog

I got some Endura shorts like this

http://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=254&initcode=EU8043BK

Which are really versatile, I actually got them because they are not baggy so good for proper MTBing as don’t flap around,but also fine for pootling from cafe to pub. For longer rides I use cycling shorts underneath rather than liners which I find a bit rubbish

Matched with a wicking T-shirt etc for casual riding

In terms of shoes there are some really good trainer style shoes that are still nice and stiff and can fit a cleat

Matt_SS_xc

I have some of the fox tech t shirts. Feel and look like a normal t, but less smelly nd breathe better

WillH

Have a look at NZO Sifters, slim-fit baggies which are fine for the pub/beach/park etc.

Also Supertankers or Double Happys are good too.

Quick-drying, designed for cycling with stretchy bits as appropriate, minimal but useful pockets.

RustySpanner

Any light, outdoor shorts over lycra cycling shorts.
    I like the Sainsbury’s ones.
    Just use spray on proofer and they’re great.

Decathlon cycling tops work well and don’t look too ‘pretend racer’.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Lycra bibs, Rapha touring shorts, poc trail t-shirt for nice days off road.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Proper lycra shorts / bib-shorts under Endura and a synthetic t-shirt ideally with a zip to cool down if hot. Winter version base layer (helly hansen or more fancy merino) with long sleeved synthetic top and waterproof socks.

IMHO the only bit of kit that really needs to be bike specific is the shorts.

RustySpanner

Do you not find a lot of walking tops a bit short in the back?

I’ve pretty much gone the other way – I use cycling tops and mid layers for most walking these days.

Even use my Gore Alp jacket as a light waterproof shell – the drop hem has poppers to keep most of it out of the way.

igm

Vulpine Harrington jacket in the sale – £99 (10% more off if you’ve never bought from them before)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Best casual riding gear?’ is closed to new replies.