Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Best carbon steerer adjuster/bung…..?
  • marts500
    Free Member

Having trouble keeping the headset snugged up with this BBB compression adjuster i have fitted in my carbon rigid fork steerer.Any recomendations for a better quality adjuster…?

Cheers

Northwind

Hope Hed Doctor seems fine, though isn’t small- I had to machine mine down a fair bit to get it to fit in my steerer.

mrmo
    Free Member

what are you using the adjuster for? the adjuster does nothing, the adjuster is not needed, the adjuster should never be tight????

The headset is held together by the stem, the stem bolts need to be tight????

mtbmatt
    Free Member

PRO make a really nice one that isn’t overbuilt/weighs a tonne and its really secure.
    Also it adds very little to the stack height.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’ve got the M Part bung, seems OK.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/m:part-carbon-fork-expander-prod17205/

Hope Hed Doctor wouldn’t fit in my steerer but the M Part one does.

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

mrmo The bearings need to be preloaded before the stem is set, to tighten the headset properly. This requires the adjuster.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yes but the pre-load requires very little torque and once it’s set and the stem bolts tightened it does nothing (and could even be removed).

mrmo
    Free Member

Yes but the pre-load requires very little torque and once it’s set and the stem bolts tightened it does nothing (and could even be removed).

exactly, if the OP is having issues with the bearings coming loose the topcap is unlikely to be the problem. Simply tightening the top cap more will do more harm than good. Look at the stem, look at how you are preloading the bearings, the system you have, unless you have truely borked it, will be fine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Best carbon steerer adjuster/bung…..?’ is closed to new replies.