Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best cable operated disc brakes.
  • hillsplease

Finally spat the dummy with useless Avid BB5s. Any recommendations for cable operated brakes that move both pads please?

I thank you

Paul

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Road or mtb?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Heard good things about the TRP HyRD ones. Specialized putting them on lots of their road and cross bikes this year.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Don’t know if they are the best but bb7 are a significant improvement over bb5s!

hillsplease

Road – the BB5 on the rear is either so tight on it’s dragging OR merely decorative. Neither of which is ideal. TRPS might be a good shout. LBS on Saturday methinks!

Many thanks

Paul

Rorschach
    Free Member

Just get spyres.HiRds offer little extra except more expense and complication (and mushy lever feel).

ken_shields
    Free Member

BB7’s have one static pad and bow the disc towards that using the moving pad.

I cannot think of a cable disc that doesn’t, to move both pads it would need to have a lever on both sides or be a sliding caliper

TRP is a cable operated hydraulic brake as is the Hope V Twin. I have the V Twin on my CX bike (replaced BB7’s) and very good they are too

warpcow
    Free Member

BB7’s have one static pad and bow the disc towards that using the moving pad.
    I cannot think of a cable disc that doesn’t, to move both pads it would need to have a lever on both sides or be a sliding caliper

You mean like TRP Spyres and several others?

BB7s are ace but tbh I’m quite happy settling for BB5s on one of my bikes. If I were to upgrade it’d be to TRP Spyres.

jameso

BB7s are great, as long as the rotor’s true and you adjust them as they wear the static/moving pad combo works fine and they’re easy to live with; a much better, different brake to BB5s.
    Spyres are working well for me also, much easier to set up to a basic level of performance than BB7s. I think the BB7 is better-made and a nicer brake in some ways but the Spyres twin-pad movement is good. It’s a shame the bulk on the inside of the caliper means they foul the spokes on some wheels with larger flange hubs though, I’d need to shim out my disc ~3mm on my SP hub for the Spyres to go on that bike.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Hey Warpcow

Go you for knowing something I don’t 🙄

I did say I couldn’t think of any because when I was using cable discs a few years ago I had only used Avid and Shimano. Apologies for not reading up on kit I’d never buy

fibre
    Free Member

I’ve used BB7s, Shimano CX77 and TRP Spyres. I prefer the Spyres, seemed the best mix of power, modulation and adjustability. I don’t really get the cable actuated hydraulics, more things to go wrong and the Spyres are good enough, full cable or full hydraulic for me.

The rotors also made a noticeable difference, IceTecs being the best or the standard Hope Saws if you don’t want to spend too much. A lot better than the stock Avid or TRP rotors I used, in terms of immediate “grab”, noise and general stopping power.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I would go for HYRYDs if you can – excellent when properly set up.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I’ve tried BB5s, BB7s, Lyras, Spyres and HyRds!

I thought the BB7s were OK, then I got the Spyres, they work really well on my MTB.

I replaced the Lyras on my Tripster with the HyRds which are another level, they really improved my off roading on the Tripster, braking is much more powerful and predictable. They seem to be OK on longer downhills too.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best cable operated disc brakes.’ is closed to new replies.