Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Best cable disc brakes
  • ianpinder
    Free Member

As I don’t have a clue

PJay
    Free Member

Avid BB7s would seem to be the cable disc of choice. I’ve had a set and they’re really good. I prefer my hydros. though and you can get a set for a comparable price.

singlespeedstu

BB7’s with Avid FMJ cables.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Sweet, cheers.

Hydros are out for this project

Keef
    Free Member

7’s seconded,er thirded………

_tom_
    Free Member

BB7, stops as good as my Juicy 5.

PJay
    Free Member

On-One seem to have them at a great price at the moment, certainly cheaper than CRC.

nickf
    Free Member

BB7, stops as good as my Juicy 5

In my experience of both BB7 and Juicy 7s, putting your feet on the ground and dragging them is a lot more effective than either of these miserably poor brakes.

But don’t let me put you off.

epicyclo

BB7s.

Good cables are essential. FMJs a good idea.

I have BB7s on all my bikes now.

If you’re a useless mechanical numpty, you may not like them because they need setting up properly.

And one forgotten advantage – you know when you have the wheels out of the bike for transport? – you don’t have to put little thingies between the pads in case some ding-a-ling accidentally pulls a brake lever and locks your pads together… 🙂

andy7t2
    Free Member

In my experience of both BB7 and Juicy 7s, putting your feet on the ground and dragging them is a lot more effective than either of these miserably poor brakes.

used both sets and both are great brake if you can set them up properly

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

you will need better totors than the supplied ones…

gore rideon cables here and avid ultimate levers 🙂

jimc101
    Free Member

I have some Shimano R505’s and have had no issues with them as yet, went for these, as at the time as no one had road BB7’s in stock for a sensible price. BB7’s still arn’t cheap if you need the road version, only the MTB version seems to go cheap

richcc
    Free Member

I had a BB7 on the roadrat and worked ok. I think they are a good solution for some applications. Big problem is you can get (say) an SLX lever, hose and caliper for a similar price

ianpinder
    Free Member

TBH, ‘m not expecting them to be as powerfull as my xtrs or tech v2s, or the ones, however, next year I’m gonna do a sall ride through africa, so just wanted something eaiser o fix then hydros.

Looks like the bb7 is the winner

snowpaul
    Free Member

bb7s rock. use them on my epic bike – be perfect for africa – just learm how to strip them and lube them up

paul

HTTP404
    Free Member

Yep BB7s.
    but these might be worth a punt
    (also sold as gusset chute or IRD dualbanger)
    ebay

TooTall
    Free Member

kooka cable disc brakes seem to get a good review – I’ll tell you how they go once I fit them to my ‘project of shame’ latest bike.

epicyclo

I’ve got a set of those Kooka dual action brakes. Haven’t fitted them to anything yet. Look reasonable quality.

Their USP is that both pads move instead of one pad pushing the disc onto the other.

Rik
    Free Member

I’m sure FMJ cables are good but cost a fortune, I use mine with well greased gear cable outer and it really firms up the feel at a fraction of the cost of the avid cables.

OCB
    Free Member

BB7 Mtn, Goodrich cable outers (LBS inners), and Aztec Wave rotors make for decent braking. Both my Singulars are set up like that.

The newest BB7’s I got (about a month ago) had different rotors than previous versions, but dunno what they are like tho’ – they are [still] in their boxes in the bike cupboard.

🙄

epicyclo

Rik – Member
    I’m sure FMJ cables are good but cost a fortune…

You’re right – any decent outer cable will do the job. The important thing is the ability of the outer to resist compressive forces. The FMJ is as close to incompressible as you can get in a cable outer. Nokons come close.

The less compression in the cable, the more clearance you can have at the pads. I suspect people who have problems with BB7s are using soggy outer cables.

I use Jagwire or Avid outers where possible, mainly because it’s difficult to be sure what is the quality of the generic cables in the reel at the lbs.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Best cable disc brakes’ is closed to new replies.