Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Best but SUBTLE way to word your notice
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

Sending in my notice tomorrow morning.

I don’t want to slag them (rightly) off but I want a month of gardening (riding) leave.

As I lost my enthusiasm several months ago as well as writing that what else can I add to my letter?

Cheers

wrecker
    Free Member

Tell them you’re going to a competitor.

Sundayjumper

All your notice letter needs to say is that you resign as of that date. Anything further is fluff and serves no purpose.

It’s up to your employer whether they make you work your notice, give you gardening leave, or just pay you off. You can’t choose. If you have some leverage however, that would be something to discuss with your manager. I wouldn’t put it down in writing for risk of it coming back to bite you.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I write to you today to submit my resignation, I am leaving in order to pursue a new opportunity.

I have completed a handover document and my work is in good order. As such I would appreciate if you could confirm that my presence in the office will not be required after [ ]. I will of course remain available if required during my notice period.

OP, FWIW unless they fear you going to a direct competitor why would they grant you gardening leave. In their shoes I would be tempted to say, yes you can leave sooner but we’ll terminate your contract early. If you don’t want that I might be tempted to make you come in every day. All depends on your situation and their relationship with you

EDIT: what @sundayjumper says is very vaild

P-Jay
    Free Member

As above, it should be very short and to the point.

I hereby resign as of 29/05/2015

Signed XX

Date 29/05/2015

If you’re hoping to be paid off / gardening leave the shorter the better, if will no doubt raise interest from your manager who’ll be probing for a reason – you can give some vague answer about an “opportunity” and they may err on the side of caution and send you home.

Otherwise they may just assume you’re cheesed off and get what they can off you for the month.

cookeaa

A couple of years ago, mate of mine was set to ping in a shitty email having already accepted a new job offer starting in two weeks (one months notice)…

I talked him down and persuaded him to write a letter, and not burn too many bridges.
    Basically we (tactfully) put the case to his line manager that, he was currently without a project to work on (or much motivation), and that allowing him to leave at the end of the week, burn up his remaining Holiday hours and then leave would benefit everyone, The line manager went one better and got him to clear his desk before the end of the day…

Don’t complain or bitch about the company, claim to have “Enjoyed your time” spent working there. Then present a reasoned case as to why being allowed to not work your entire notice period will be of mutual benefit to yourself and the company…

Be prepared to sit down and discuss it once the letter is presented and have your diplomatic answers ready…

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Cheers all. FYI I work remotely as a rep and do not see them face to face.

I am going to a competitor of sorts, so maybe I could use that.

I was thinking of a short resigning email to the top team.

The a slightly bitter one to my line manager.

Cheers

MrOvershoot

FFS John you change jobs more than Hora changes Frames/Forks !!!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

MrO
    3 years
    12 months
    3 years
    12 months
    But you do have a point.

Thanks for the advice above.
    I think I’ll put in that I’m going to work for another company is the same industry, which in a round about way I am, although not a direct competitor it is a similar type of product and can be used for the same applications (if you stretch the imagination)
    And if asked who are they I won’t tell them.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I don’t know your industry, but I did my best to try and get some gardening leave last autumn.

My employers let me go a bit early, but there wasn’t a sniff of gardening leave, despite my gentle efforts to nick client lists, tell clients where I was going and poach staff. I think they needed me to keep working, hadn’t really thought it through and assumed that me loafing around the office looking de-mob happy for 3 months would somehow annoy me more than it would unsettle the team.

Good luck though – gardening leave is surely one of the best prizes an only-moderately-ambitious man can win!

Key advice though: have an unpaid holiday between jobs to look forward to, even if you can’t manage a paid one.

🙂

badnewz
    Free Member

“Thanks, I’m off, see you around yeah.”
    Better than the self-righteous, anal formal language people use in such letters.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I am going to a competitor of sorts, so maybe I could use that.

I was thinking of a short resigning email to the top team.

The a slightly bitter one to my line manager.
    1 letter, no opinion just facts. No need to be bitter save it for the pub. It wont make anything better.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Garden leave granted apart from one trip to the office to hand over my phone, paper work and laptop etc. Plus I’ve got the use of the company car until June 30th.

Now hurry up summer I want a sunny June of riding my bikes

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Resign with the fewest words possible in writing.

Say what you like in the pub afterwards

ski
    Free Member

mrmoofo

Beware that if you want gardening leave and pitch for it, then can just say “fine” and stop paying you …. Unfortunately you have a contract with them that is legally binding.
    Say you are going top a competitor should work …

I was on 6 months and it didn’t – until my rather dim boss realised what he had done ….

He has been demoted twice since then 🙂

RobHilton
    Free Member

6 months notice??!!11

wiggles
    Free Member

Just a simple “as of (date) I resign” type thing then do F-all for the next few days and your boss just tells you to pack you things and he will pay your months notice was my experience…

angeldust
    Free Member

6 months notice??!!11

6-12 months notice is pretty normal.

RobHilton
    Free Member

6-12 months notice is pretty normal

Really? I’ve never been on more then a month – maybe I need to get a real job? :mrgreen:

mikewsmith
    Free Member

plenty of jobs have longer notice periods, it all depends on how long it takes to get a replacement and how much they invested in you. Also some other things like teaching where it’s not good to change in the middle of the year.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just hand in your notice and start the next job 1 month after your finishing date. I’ve done that and left a few days gap… 🙂

6-12 months notice is pretty normal.

When I was made redundant from a job I’d been in 11 years I was expected to give 11 weeks notice, and visa-versa. I got 3 weeks notice and 8 weeks extra pay with my pay off.
    That was the construction industry too, hourly paid, not a salaried office job.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Best but SUBTLE way to word your notice’ is closed to new replies.