Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Best Budget Chainset
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

So while swapping my frame to a new on one inbred frame I have had trouble getting the old square taper cranks off, i have now stripped the thread out of one and both are still stuck.

I have conceded that their is no easy way back so i need the best budget chainset and bottom bracket. I am after durability over lightness.

So far I have seen

Shimano Deore M590 at Merlin or CRC £57.95

Shimano LX T661 at Merlin £69.95

If it makes any difference I am running a 3 x 8 shimano setup with XT on the rear.

Any other suggestions.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Get a decent lbs to remove them.

Square taper has longevity, HT2 does not.

enigmas
    Free Member

+1 for deores, make sure you get them in silver though, the black cranks scuff extremely easily!

bigsurfer
    Free Member

cynic-al surely now that I have stripped out the thread their is no way the cranks can be seated correctly onto the square taper bottom bracket even if they can be gotten off.

nickdavies

You can get one of the SLX cranksets from actionsports.de or bikediscount.de for under £80 + shipping with the current good euro rate.

Deore’s from about £43 + shipping.

vorlich
    Free Member

+1 on getting silver Deores, I bought black and it’s rubbing off after 2 rides.. Quailty seems decent apart from that.

andyl
    Free Member

Deores from Rose but get yourself a spare SLX/XT bottom bracket just in case. But if you fit it correctly it should be fine for a long time. I swear most external BB failures are due to incorrect installation.

Oh and talking of which, get the tools to install it from somewhere.

martinhutch

The logos on my silver deore cranks scuffed off after just one ride! BB still going strong after 6 months though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Surfer a light heat and 3 or preferably a 5 legged a gear puller will remove the cranks

The threads in question have no relevance in fitting of the cranks only removal

jockthestore
    Free Member

eBay… No moving parts means this is a part you can rely on second hand….

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Another one for deore here. I got black because didn’t like the look of silver deores. Solid as anything – I’m sure the HT system is much better than others regarding clamping onto axle etc. no brainer

PJM1974
    Free Member

+137 for Deore.

I’ve tried Raceface (never again) and Truvativ, but Shimano wins every time.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Wide86 is selling a deore for £45 posted brand new in classifieds. again… no brainer

cynic-al
    Free Member

Also, you can get a tap to but a bigger thread and a removal tap to match.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Cyclus do that tool but many LBS (the good ones) will have it.

kimbers

ive got deore, saint and slx on my various bikes, honestly cant tell the difference between any of them if youre worried about the deores scuffing you cant get protectors to keep em looking fresh

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Best Budget Chainset’ is closed to new replies.