Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Best brakes-formula mega or xt?
  • shaggmiester
    Free Member

Wanting some new brakes for my patriot, i’v got hones on at the moment but they just are’nt powerfull enough so am looking for any thoughts on the 2 pairs mentioned and if anyone knows if there’s any deals on them anywhere, cheers. 🙂

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Can someone find him some full stops too.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have got The Ones on two bikes and new XT on another.

The Ones (which are pretty similar to the Mega according to people on here) have a bit more ultimate grunt, but the XTs are almost there and have a nicer feel.

I’d get XTs if I needed more, search for the Rose Bikes thread on here for cheap ones.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

^^^
    **** off!!! That better?…… 😀

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Sorry chakaping, that was’nt to you! Was to rttpom! 😳 cheers though might check XT at rose.

alexpalacefan

Shaggmeister (doesn’t the name really say it all?) you need to learn to calm down mate. He’s just having a joke with you, and you go and get all sweary. And no, putting a smiley after it doesn’t make it OK.

So, take a deep calming breath and try again eh?

APF

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Alexpalacefan- calm down!!! I know! I was just joking mateyboy!! 😆

Brown
    Free Member

^^^
    **** off!!! That better?……

If it helps, no…

You only ever need one exclamation mark, and there are only three dots in an ellipsis. Whether or not you should use ellipses after a question mark is also dubious. Sorry. 😉

(Crosses fingers, hoping there are no errors in this post…)

Apart from that, Formulas have a great reputation and feel brilliant, but I’ve not used them much. You can get deals on them direct from Formula, although I’m not sure if there are any Megas.

Shimano I’ve used for ages. Loads of power (I use 180mm front, 160mm rear for everything, but would happily drop to 160/160). Great, slightly squishy feel, for me at least. The new levers are a touch shorter than I’d like though. A big downside for me is the lack of spares. When a seal goes, you need a new lever/caliper/whatever – which is annoying. That said, I’m using new SLX, and new parts aren’t too pricey.

EDIT: Go here for Formula’s offer on a set of Megas.

mboy
    Free Member

Apart from that, Formulas have a great reputation and feel brilliant, but I’ve not used them much. You can get deals on them direct from Formula, although I’m not sure if there are any Megas.

Formula’s have a great reputation for massive power, and almost zero feel. Well at least when it comes to “The One” and “Mega” brakes anyway. The older Oro’s etc. have more feel for certain, but The Ones and Mega’s are like a switch. Sooooooo much power it’s untrue, but as the old Pirelli advert used to say, Power is nothing without control.

Shimano XT’s are a great brake, not ultimately as powerful as Formula’s but much more modulation. That said though, what’s wrong with your current brakes? Might a good bleed, some new pads, and possibly bigger rotors sort it out?

chakaping
    Free Member

Formula’s have a great reputation for massive power, and almost zero feel.

Only with sintered pads in my experience.

The Ones have excellent modulation with the stock pads or SSC organic or kevlar. At least the three sets I have owned have.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Cheers brown, thinking towards the formulas now as found a good deal on them, just i’v never seen any reviews on the megas.

Brown
    Free Member

Good point, I should have added that it’s only Oros I’ve used.

slowrider
    Free Member

both are pretty bombastic, spares are expensive for formula last time i checked…

portlyone

Think Megas are discontinued now, replaced by RX’s?

My Megas were great, the levers are a bit rickety but never broke, lots of feel/modulation and power. My set came with 200mm rotors which helps with both I guess.

First ride on my RX’s with organic pads and there is less feel but lots more stopping power.

budgierider67

I run a set of Oros.
    I tried my mate’s bike who had a set of Megas and they certainly lived up to their name.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Best brakes-formula mega or xt?’ is closed to new replies.