Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Best bottle of Whisky for £30-£40
  • justatheory
    Free Member

Benromach 10 is a personal favourite, very well rounded and a bargain for £35. Something different from your usual well known distillery’s offerings.

Springbank 10 is another that is a bit different and really well rounded.

I just picked up a Glenlivet Nadurra 16 reduced to clear in my local Tesco for £23. It’s cask strength and isn’t filtered – really nice for the money.

Lagavulin 16 is hard to beat if he likes peated whisky.

Hibiki 12 is a Japanese blend but it’s absolutely gorgeous and comes in a fancy looking decanter style bottle. Only problem is it’s £36 for 50cl

As someone else has mentioned Tamdhu is a lovely sherried speysider.

Xylene
    Free Member

The majority of Caol Isla produced is put into Johnny Walker Black, as it’s base whisky.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

this, which is almost probably a young Laphroaig.

and a bottle of this…

and have a little blending session.

Cougar

Benromach 10 is a personal favourite, very well rounded and a bargain for £35.

Benromach Organic is about the price of a pint more expensive for a bottle, and absolutely demolishes the Ben 10 (and most of their more expensive drams too). If you can find it, tear it off the shelf check it out.

chakaping
    Free Member

I had a bottle of that asda Islay a while ago.

Pleasant but unremarkable. Lacked aftertaste I thought. Not a good one for a gift IMO.

enmac
    Free Member

No one has mentioned Old Pulteney, they do different ages, not sure which one you would get for £40 but it won’t be the 21 year old that won the whisky of the year award a couple of years ago. The younger ones aren’t quite as smooth but work really well after a big meal as they have a touch of sweetness.

ransos
    Free Member

I had a bottle of that asda Islay a while ago.

Pleasant but unremarkable. Lacked aftertaste I thought. Not a good one for a gift IMO.

I agree, but “pleasant but unremarkable” is very good going at that price. I can’t say it tasted much like Laphroaig though.

Benromach 10 is a personal favourite, very well rounded and a bargain for £35. Something different from your usual well known distillery’s offerings.

They do a peated version too – I have a bottle in and it’s lovely stuff.

darrimc30
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a site for selling whisky.
    I have a bottle of Chivas Regal 21 year old Royal Salute which I was given as a present, unfortunately I don’t drink whisky so might as well sell it

Cougar

There’s always here?

Xylene
    Free Member

Got a bottle of Smokehead at duty free – very nice it is, very smooth. Not as peaty as I would have liked, but still nice.

kcal

scotch whisky auctions can work for small ish stuff I think.
    Costs can add up though if you’re only selling a bottle.

Or simply eBay it.
    What sort of price is it ‘worth’ – might be easy to find a local enthusiast who’ll take it.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

im just learning the ropes here too, i took a swig of Glen Moray from a hipflask recently that was really nice so bought a bottle of the 10yr for about £30 in Tesco. didnt last long!

woody2000

Worth checking Amazon for deals – I got a bottle of Cragganmore 12 YO for £23 this morning. Picked up a bottle of Oban 14 YO for £24 in Tesco last month, that’s a nice drop.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Picked up a bottle of Oban 14 YO for £24

well done, you. Oban’s one of my favorites and I’ve never seen it on the cheap shelf. I’d have got a couple of bottles at that price.

woody2000

Was the last one BBSB 🙁

Albanach
    Free Member

Slight thread jump but can anyone recommend some nice round bottomed whisky glasses? It’s a gift for my brother in law. I’ve seen the Normann Copenhagen ones below but shipping rates are huge from online stores and there is a couple of dodgy reviews on the Amazon site about the seller/product.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Normann-Copenhagen-120910-Whisky-Glasses/dp/B00G4NZ7VO%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAIJ4EHFNTHK3TGZOQ%26tag%3Dwwwsafetynetc-21%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00G4NZ7VO

I’ve got a couple of Talisker etched ones but I think they weren’t available as a stand alone product.

Saccades
    Free Member

Nikki Barrel

Cougar

I don’t know about ’round bottomed glasses’ or why you’d want such a thing, but the Glencairn Glass is the only whisk(e)y glass you’ll ever need. They do a cut crystal one now too, if it’s for gifting.

Merak

imo,

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Bunnahabhain 12 is affordable and lovely.

Aberlour 10 is also.

Saccades
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    I don’t know about ’round bottomed glasses’ or why you’d want such a thing, but the Glencairn Glass is the only whisk(e)y glass you’ll ever need. They do a cut crystal one now too, if it’s for gifting.

It’s awful, drinking from a poncy narrow nosed thing. I’m sure it’s brilliant for sniffing it or some such but for actual drinking the big old traditional glasses are much nicer.

Certainly towards the bottom of the bottle (easier to get the drink in) and at the bottom of the glass (easier to get the drink out).

Cougar

Here you go then.

(-:

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

FWIW Asda have Auchentoshan American wood for £22 and Old Pultney for £24. I like Auchentoshan, it’s very light and smooth. American oak has more coconut and vanilla but loses some of the smoothness. Good stuff for the money. A bottle of each would be a fine treat for the OPs money

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Not a big fan of Jura but was on the island earlier this year and visited the distillery. they sell really nice glasses – this pic from an ebay listing

MrWoppit
    Free Member

On a vaguely-related issue, I noticed that Hest has a vodka of his own on sale for 27 nicker that says it tastes of Bakewell Tart…

edhornby

Get a nice box, tissue paper in it

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90258321/#

it’s a stemless wine glass but just spot on for whisky, and look at the price 😀

dantsw13

Something I discovered whilst drinking my Taketsuru 21y/o Japanese whisky recently, was that a small piece of dark chocolate melted in the mouth with your whisky is sublime!!!!

I paid £28 for my bottle in Japan, sadly it’ll set you back £130+ in the UK.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Best bottle of Whisky for £30-£40’ is closed to new replies.