Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Best bleed kit for shimano brakes
  • swainy90
    Free Member

Looking at starting to bleed my own brakes. Currently running shimano slx and shimano zee on my bikes. Just wondering best kit to buy that will support shimano bleed. Few kits on eBay but dunno if any good or not.

iainc

Epic bleed solutions

sparkyrhino

^^^^^

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    benpinnick

Rockshox Reverb syringes.

scotroutes

I already had a Shimano bleed syringe and just bought one of the wee funnels.

km79
    Free Member

I’ve used the epic bleed solutions one and the shimano funnel one, both work equally fine and are very easy to use.

Tracey

We just use a Shimano syringe and funnel

swainy90
    Free Member

Think I need a brake block too. Are they a generic size or need different one for my slx and zee?

scc999

I’ve got a bleed block but also made one up from old credit / bank cards that was a bit smaller. I found it helped reduce the amount of lever throw before they start to bite.

I use the Epic Bleed solutions kit, works fine.

swainy90
    Free Member

I don’t mind buying one off eBay but just unsure if they are different sizes depending on model of shimano you are using like

yacoby
    Free Member

Down side of not having a funnel is that it is possible to bust the brake seals when pushing fluid through from the caliper

swainy90
    Free Member

Does this mean you don’t recommend the epic bleed kit then yacoby?

km79
    Free Member

Think I need a brake block too. Are they a generic size or need different one for my slx and zee?

The yellow shimano bleed blocks are 10mm wide, you can use a suitable allen key instead if you have one handy. Like scc999 above I prefer the feel when I use a smaller width block. I filed mine down to 9mm and feels perfect.

scc999

Doh! Why didn’t I think if doing that!?!

Ah well, live and don’t learn, that’s my motto!!

Si

scotroutes

I always used to file down the brake blocks with my old XTRs. Seems less of a requirement now that there’s travel adjust.

Another option is to get a couple of old pads and glue them together with a filler layer of some sort. That way you can use the standard pad pin to hold them in place.

jsync

You can take the plunger out of the lever syringe from the epic kit. They told me this after I’d wasted all of the oil from the kit I had and they realised the instructions were wrong…

swainy90
    Free Member

This will be my first bleed guys so for a novice is that epic kit the best or am I best going for original shimano equipment and follow a YouTube tutorial?

iainc

Epic kit is ideal, and look at their own vid for bleeding shimano brakes – very clear step by step stuff and works perfectly.

scotroutes

My take on these things is that the manufacturer usually knows best. That’s not to say that others can’t innovate, but the leaky seals/plunger incident discussed above is a good example of what can go wrong.

Also – use genuine Shimano hydraulic fluid. The seals and fluid are formulated to work together. That includes having the right amount of lubrication/stiction and viscosity.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I use a combination of the block they came with, the funnel which was only a few quid, a syringe and a bit of clear hose I got from the pet shop, it’s meant to be for a fish filter but it’s the right size and cost a few quid for a meter so I can cut it up and make as many as I need.

I’m sure the kits are good, but Shimano’s are so easy to bleed.

swainy90
    Free Member

Ended up getting the epic one guys. Hopefully be ok if not I’ll have to buy the shimano funnel also if have a trouble cheers guys for all info

BigEls
    Free Member

Can I use the reverb bleed kit for servicing the charge damper in pikes as well? Is it the same fittings?

Scamper
    Free Member

Don’t know if it makes any difference but the bleed blocks for zee and slx are different, as the former are dual piston

benpinnick

Can I use the reverb bleed kit for servicing the charge damper in pikes as well? Is it the same fittings?

No you need a charger bleed kit for that – different attachment.

chestrockwell

Yes, as above. Just got stung for both the reverb and charge bleed kit. The damper needs different oil also. If you are near Skipton you are welcome to borrow mine.

lustyd
    Free Member

Shimano brakes come with the bleed block so your lbs will have loads of spares which most will hand you for free. The funnel is cheap and any 50ml syringe will work if it has a spout to attach some clear hose. Paying £20 for an 80p syringe and 30p of poly tube is not a fun day of shopping!

toppers3933
    Free Member

The shimano kits is better than the epic kit (I use epic kits for just about every other brand) but generally it is way too expensive for what you’re getting. The shimano funnels are only a few quid so I’d do what others have done and buy a syringe and some pipe and a shimano funnel. The only extra useful part in the shimano kit is the little clip that helps lock the tube on the bleed nipple. That thing is worth its weight in gold.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Best bleed kit for shimano brakes’ is closed to new replies.