Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best bits of Rome??
  • downhillsquirrel
    Free Member

Have a few days in Rome with Mrs DHS, sans kids, any recommended sights to see [outside the apartment] 😀

badnewz
    Free Member

Rome is amazing, there is no shortage of places to see.
    Top of the list – Vatican museum, Colosseum, castle angelo.

johnners
    Free Member

Make sure you visit St Peter's to see where (some of) the cash goes – there's a great view of Rome from the cupola, well worth all the stairs!

plumber
    Free Member

Vatican Museum thren aything else, lovely city and easy to get around.

Don't frequent the tourist restaurants, complete rip off and shit food.

DickBarton

The bit where there is one rider riding a trail through the trees, then it kind of pans out and another rider joins him and they get down the hill and another rider joins them…might be near the very start I think.

😉

theyEye
    Free Member

I live in the self proclaimed food capital of Italy, Bologna, but the best meal I've ever had was in Rome, at Taverna Trilussa. It's in Trastevere, close to the river. Great restaurant, a bit on the fancy side, but worth every euro-cent.

Ravioli Mimosa is to die for, and if you go, make sure you try it.

Taverna Trilussa
    Trastevere
    Via del Politeama, 23-25
    00153 Roma
    Tel 06/5818918

badnewz
    Free Member

Definitely go to eat in Trastevere, much cheaper than the central parts and really good.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

WATCH YOUR WALLET

theyEye
    Free Member

Oh, and don't be put off by the monster queue for the Musei Vaticani. It moves quickly, and it's really worth it.

kennyp
    Free Member

The Coliseum is amazing, as is the Forum. It's worth reading at least a wee bit about ancient Rome before going though, rather than wander around in total ignorance like a lot of the folk you see there.

The Pantheon is an incredible building, especially if you can get in when it's quiet. And there's a tomb made entirely of human bones that is worth a trip (begins with a C I'm sure). The Catacombs outside the city are good, and Hadrian's villa is worth the trip.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the Vatican. For a church it is obscene how much has been spent in the place. I found it repugnant (though I should confess that being brought up in a strongly Protestant part of Scotland that my judgement may have been coloured by a built in bigotry!).

Don't eat/drink in the main squares unless you want to be ripped off. Trastevere has the best food. And as folk say, watch your wallet!!

On the whole though, Rome is one of the best cities I've ever been to. We've been back several times.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

the tomb kennyp mentioned is really macabre, but well worth seeing, google capuchin crypt.

You can buy a ticket for both the Colosseum and the Forum from the Forum ticket office – there's rarely a queue there and you get to miss the mahoosive queue for the Colosseum.

Top tip is don't be afraid to ride the underground – really cheap (2 Euros) and takes you to the most of the places you need to go.

andyfla
    Free Member

The Pantheon, most superb building in the world,

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The Pantheon is an incredible building

+1

Chiesa di San Ignacio, just off the via Corsa – the ceiling is an incredible work of trompe a l'oeil and the false dome painted inside the real dome is prety tricky.

Also, if you think religion's kind of funny, the Scala Sancta or Holy Staircase will amuse you. This, IIRC, is the staircase on which Christ stood to deliver a speech on his way to trial and execution. It's a wide staircase with walls seperating it into 3 parts. You may only ascend the central part on your knees and uttering some mumbo-jumbo. At the top of the stairs is an iconic image whose name I forget, but means Not Done By Human Hands or some such tosh because it's apparently the work of an angel, just not a particularly talented one. Across the road is San Giovanni in Lateran – well worth a visit. And near Piazzi Termini is a big church which is a converted Roman bath house – worth visiting to get a picture of the scale of these things. And the baths at Caracalla if you have the time and piles of old stones are your thing. Circus Maximus just because it's there and it was in Ben Hur. Good place to have a bit of a break and think about what it must have been like on race day. And the Caravaggios in the wee church on the square at the top of Via Corsa, can't remember the name but it's opposite the end of Via Corsa. The light in The Crucifiction of St Peter makes an amazing picture. And spend 10 minutes appreciating the chaos of the Piazza Venezia.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The bit where there is one rider riding a trail through the trees, then it kind of pans out and another rider joins him and they get down the hill and another rider joins them…might be near the very start I think.

No wrong, it's near the end when Titus Pollo? was sentenced to death in the areana, didn't want to fight then changed his mind and killed all the gladiators. That was the best bit.

Although some of the shagging scenes were pretty close.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best bits of Rome??’ is closed to new replies.