Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Best bit of outdoor kit you've ever bought
  • jimmy

Montane Prism jacket

This. On number 2 after #1 wouldn’t site and needed to downsize.

Junkyard
    Free Member

non cycling
    Trangia by a mile as it will outlast me

Bike – Lake winter shoes – waterproof and lasted over a decade of hard use

pb2

Cabelas goretex chest waders (for fly fishing),Montbell ultra light down jacket,its ace,RAB Ultralight bivi bag,versatile and bomb proof,Craft coolmax base layers,Icebreakers hooded merino top.

I am still waiting to find a waterproof top thats half way decent on the breathability frontI have had various flavours of Goretex and one Event all with pit zips and I still end up soaked from my sweat not the rain 😥

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Helly Hansen baselayers.

Oh yes.

Oakley M-Frame

Again, yes. Mine got pinched while guiding in Croatia. 🙁 Constantly watching ebay for a similar set with Heater lenses (or were they Sweep?)

My personal favourite piece of MTB kit has got to be Shimano winter boots. One of those ‘why on earth have I never bought these before?*’ moments. So far lasted for about 10 years of fairly constant nightride abuse.

*Probably because they retail at over 100 notes, to be fair.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Brand has since disappeared, I think.

@Flasheart Slam still have a shop in Cowes (or did last time I was there).

pb2
    jamj1974

I didn’t know North Cape were that popular. I used one of their long sleeve baselayers for about 7 years until I shrunk it. It was the best base layer I’ve ever owned. As soon as you put it on in the winter you started to feel ‘cosy’. It was great.

My favourite bit of kit would have to be my Altura 3/4 Attacks. Waterproof shorts made wet weather riding as pleasurable as any other.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

+1 Buffalo top. Awesome.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

PMJ, was talking about Danfoss, not SLAM.

pb2

Buffalo owners — do they really keep you dry and do you have to wash them every single time you wear them ala poly tops ?

Marin
    Free Member

Berghaus 60l rucsac survived my decade gap ‘year’.

yosemitepaul

Camera rucksac, an F-Stop Tilopa. An awesome piece of kit, the most fantastically detailed and well made sack I’ve owned, expensive but worth every penny.

dumbbot
    Free Member

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/ultratherm-jacket

Picked this up for about £60, my absolute favourite. So versatile, the micro grid lining feels great next to the skin, breaths, sheds a surprising amount water, layers well.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

pb2 – Member
    Buffalo owners — do they really keep you dry and do you have to wash them every single time you wear them ala poly tops ?

They keep you pretty much dry in anything but absolutely hammering it down rain, and even then, whilst slightly damp, you stay pretty warm.

The time mine was pushed most to the limit was when I went to Norway to do my Arctic Survival Training. I was wearing mine during the ‘jumping into the water drill‘ (simulating the ice giving way and recovering yourself). Once out, and after a quick roll in the snow to get rid of any surplus water, the Special 6 warmed up in no time.

As for washing them, mine has gone weeks without but they do appreciate a wash and brush to lift the pile every now and then.

pb2

Cheers S&J thats Buffalo on my hit list.I am going to have a look a few models to work out which will be best for me,primary use will be fell walking and standing in a cool (cold) river beyond my nuts fly fishing and maybe be a top to wear in the evening biving

bikebouy
    Free Member

No SLAM shop in Cowes any more, closed about 2 years ago… Aladins Cave took over the consession.

Another sailing one, Dubarry sailing boots. 10 x awesomnez with a hint of cauliflower 😉

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Pb2 – Odd you mention fishing. I regularly use mine when standing in my waders trotting the Trent at Gunthorpe Weir.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

pb2 – Member

i think the whole buffalo thing was/is, nothing really keeps you dry in British weather, if it rains, you’re going to get damp. water has a way of finding it’s way in and/or you get condensation. The Buffalo system just kind of embraces that, the soft fibre inside quickly dries and your body heat keeps you warm and sends the damp away. Other advantages are, still works just the same after years of abuse, if you rip it, just sew it up and it’s back to work.As already said, the big error people make is putting a baselayer on underneath. One of my friends swore by his through all of our serious mountaineering glory years.

pb2

Pb2 – Odd you mention fishing. I regularly use mine when standing in my waders trotting the Trent at Gunthorpe Weir.

We anglers are thought to be odd/mad by every non angler — people really struggle to make sense of me the mountain biker with several big A&E visits to my iffy track record and me the quiet reflective angler,I simply answer I need both to feel whole 🙂

solarider
    Free Member

Scarpa Attack boots. Now 30 years old and still going strong.

Bought a new pair 10 years ago in a sale in anticipation of them dying, but haven’t needed to crack open the box yet.

Fantastically comfortable, hard wearing and great value. Hard to beat leather boots if you take care of them.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Best bit of outdoor kit you've ever bought’ is closed to new replies.