Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Best bit of outdoor kit you've ever bought
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Bike bits, clothing, whatever…

Mine is a North Cape Coolmax t-shirt. I’ve had it for at least 20 years and it cost me £18 or so. It has been used for biking, climbing, skiing, walking, squash and tennis and has had more of my sweat absorbed in it than I dare to think about. It is still in one piece, fits well, is comfy, still looks far from tatty and still smells clean! So much kit has come and gone in the meantime, simply not doing the job as well as this does.

I can’t recommend it highly enough.

Drac

My North Face walking shoes, very comfortable, robust just a great product.

chorlton
    Free Member

An OS map.

Stoner
    Free Member

Klattermusen down smock

Packs into a pint pot, fluffs up great. Brilliant thermal layer for chill evenings. 10yrs old now and going strong.

They dont make these anymore, but Endura cotton coolmax undercrackers. I have two pairs left that havent died just yet. Again 10yrs old and still the comfiest bike-borne-bollock-carriers I’ve ever owned.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my thermarest neo air.

prior to that i used to sleep directly on the grass in my bivvy rather than put up with the bulk of SIM or foam mat – which meant of course i never got a decent nights sleep most of the time. Now i sleep like baby isolated from the ground 😀

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Montane Prism jacket

somouk
    Free Member

My AKU boots would be high up there, best boots I’ve ever had and I’m hard on footware.

Ive had some Berghaus coolmax T-Shirts for many years that have been excellent also.

failedengineer

Montane Active Smock.

13thfloormonk

Boring but relevant – My Exped dry bags, not just for keeping things dry but for actually instilling some sort of order into my packing which resulted in smaller, lighter packs.

Not quite as boring or relevant – My little Sony MP3 player (the iPod lookalike Walkman they did). It’s been everywhere with me, tough as nails (this was before they changed the casings from metal to plastic) and has seen me through about 7 years of solo road riding, nights in the tent and long wet marches with the hood up.

Most relevant – Probably my Terra Nova laser comp tent, opened the door to long distance route planning on the bike or on foot. Obviously other alternatives exist and bivvy/tarp systems are arguably more versatile, but it was the Laser Comp that started it for me and it’s still going strong.

karnali
    Free Member

Montane pertex trousers

RustySpanner

Alpkit Gourdon.
    Simple, light, tough, cheap and comfy.

When I think of all the cash I wasted on expensive bags that don’t last…

user-removed
    Free Member

Full suit of army surplus MVP (army goretx) waterproofs. No good for lightweight bike-packing as they take up a fair bit of space and the material isn’t the lightest.

But if you need something to keep out every last drop of rain whilst putting your tent up, and you don’t want to drown in your own sweat, it’s just ideal.

Cheap as chips too but you have to put up with the camo look…

lovewookie

North Face Long sleeved light baselayer. Brilliant autumn/spring under a waterproof for temperature regulation and excellent for scottish summer mornings under a short sleeve jersey. lightweight enough to let air flow, but close enough to the skin to stop the full chill.

mine is ancient, holey, bit burnt from accidental tumble dryering but still havent found an alternative which does the same job. They’re either too warm or too cold.

slowoldman

Given that footwear is pretty important in outdoor pursuits, I’m going for any of my many pairs of Scarpa boots/shoes I’ve had over the years. I particularly like my current Mantas though.

antigee

Stoner – Member ……“They dont make these anymore, but Endura cotton coolmax undercrackers. I have two pairs left that havent died just yet. Again 10yrs old and still the comfiest bike-borne-bollock-carriers I’ve ever owned”….

2 pairs! lucky man

think i got my pair from a bargain bin in Halfords – knocked off 40k in them on a lunch time errand today – excellent under 3/4 trousers on cooler days – class kit

stevious

I got an Exped Synmat last year as I knew I was going to be spending lots of time in tents. It’s so comfortable it’s like cheating.

thisisntme
    Free Member

Meindl Burma Pro boots. Heavy but bombproof.

Paramo Altira jacket and Cascada trousers.

SaxonRider

A waterproof, windproof jacket I bought in the French Alps a few years back because we happened to find the factory outlet, and it was an excellent price.

This one.

It’s been absolutely brilliant!

finbar
    Free Member

My Buffalo smock. I’d rather have that than down in the UK anyday.

(I didn’t buy it though, someone gave it to me)

mikey74
    Free Member

Salomon Quest 4D GTX hiking boots: they were absolutely flawless on the Isle of Skye where we spent 5-7 hours a day wandering through bogs, over rocks, hiking etc, in all weather conditions.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Dunno about ‘best’ but I’ve got lots of clothes I’ve had for 15+ years:
    -North cape Coolmax T-shirt like the OP’s, although mine has a tear in the back
    -Mountain Hardwear Pack pants, done everything outdoors that doesn’t involve a bike in them and still going strong, only got a small crampon nick in them. Getting a bit tight now though 🙁
    -Patagonia R2 fleece, not very trendy now but small, light and warm, been everywhere and still looks as new.
    -Lowe Alpine Mountain Cap, don’t get it out very often but when it’s wanted it’s the absolute nuts. Ditto some Mountain Hardwear thinsulate waterproof gloves, rarely used but always put a smile on my face when they go on.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Oakley m frames, heater lens usually fitted and outlasted almost all my other gear.

smelly helly hanson. Still going.

endure 3/4 lengths – for the UK summer -cough- but also autmn/winter as it arrives.

wool

Patagonia Snap T bought when I was 18 I am now 47 its bit worn but still does its job. Much value for money me thinks.

jimw
    Free Member

Mountain Equipment Windstopper Fleece jacket. So comfortable in a wide range of conditions and long lasting that I bought another second-hand off ebay as they no longer make them.

A single skin pertex cycling jacket that Mountain Warehouse had on sale about six years ago. It is totally windproof and highly breathable yet weighs next to nothing. It has survived a number of unintentional body dabs and even a trip into a gorse bush without damage. All for £16. I use it on the bike, out walking etc. etc. if they still made it I’d buy another like a shot.

Another fan of Scarpa Footwear. All of the various boots and shoes I have had from them fit my foot shape brilliantly and last really well-I have a pair of Manta’s that are coming up for 20 years old that I still use for rough work outside.

Edit:
    Almost forgot my MacPac Eclipse tent. I bought it in NZ 20 years ago, used it for the next six months almost every night whilst backpacking round NZ, USA and Canada and then another month in Scotland when I returned to the UK. It only comes out occasionally now, but it is still waterproof and I have never had to repair it.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Rab down jacket, purchased 20 years ago, send it off to that place in sheffield to be properly cleaned now and again and just wipe down with a damp cloth to keep it fresh. no rips and the down seems to have kept it’s loft.
    worth every penny.

spawnofyorkshire

Years ago I had a Mountain Equipment waterproof smock that was lightweight, fit me perfectly and lived with me through a few adventures.
    Got stolen out of my rucksack in a hostel in New Zealand (along with my favourite hoodie). I could have cried

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Mine is a North Cape Coolmax t-shirt.

Wow, I thought I was the only one. I’ve still got 3 which get worn constantly for everything. I think they’ve all got the odd little hole in them, but not so’s anyone would notice. Love them, especially the light blue. I have a constant search on eBay, cool max t shirts only seem to be available in army green these days

dragon
    Free Member

Helly Hansen baselayers.
    Haglofs Barrier insulated jacket.
    M&S Merino / silk blend jumpers; lightweight, warm, look good anywhere and cost less than stuff from the likes of Icebreaker.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Rab down jacket, purchased 20 years ago, send it off to that place in sheffield to be properly cleaned now and again and just wipe down with a damp cloth to keep it fresh. no rips and the down seems to have kept it’s loft.
    worth every penny.”

Uncanny; mine is also 20 years old this year! Had a zip replaced by Rab, but I clean it myself (the trick is to use the right kind of soap and dry it properly; big industrial launderette dryer with two tennis balls). It’s kept me warm in -30º. It’s a bit tatty now, but is sound, and I can’t yet justify buying a new down jacket. I doubt many would be anywhere near as good now anyway.

Other than that; a very basic Blacks tent I bought as a teenager, which is seemingly indestructable. Only gets use a couple of times a year these days, if that, but still going strong.

loddrik
    Free Member

Paramo jackets, of which I have a few…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Another fan of Scarpa Footwear. All of the various boots and shoes I have had from them fit my foot shape brilliantly and last really well-I have a pair of Manta’s that are coming up for 20 years old that I still use for rough work outside.

Same here, I’ve gone thru an original scarpa manta and 2 pr of scarpa dru, wouldn’t buy any other mountain boot.

slowoldman

Yes I’ve got a pair of original Mantas resoled with Vibram which I use for short walks, bimbling around, etc.

Oh I’ll just mention I have a pair of Haglofs Vertigo shoes which are superb. Expensive yes, but I just had a pair resoled at the huge expense of £35. The uppers are perfect and I reckon will outlast several resoles. I’ve never had a pair of trail shoes before I thought I would be able to do that with.

Stoner
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member
    Rab down jacket, purchased 20 years ago, send it off to that place in sheffield to be properly cleaned now and again

got a link MrSmith? My Alpkit filet is looking a bit grubby.

EDIT: sorry MrSmith I can be bone idle some times. Google has got me as far as these guys: http://www.elitecleaningandaftercare.co.uk/duck.html
    correct? Seems good VFM

Xylene
    Free Member

Either my Rab Vapourise – love it

Or my North Face Vladistok jacket which was so bloody warm, I could only ever wear a t-shirt under it in -30. Forgetting to take jumpers with me and sitting in draughty restaurants wasnt cool though.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Love them, especially the light blue

In recent action 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GQF6x9]Lakeland hike-a-bike May 2016[/url] by stilltortoise, on Flickr

nant
    Free Member

Jet boil. Has allowed to me to just chill out and have a brew wherever I am. A real morale booster. It’s quite old mine now, but works as good as the day I bought it.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

My Alpkit Filet and Gilet I reckon. Been through a couple of repairs, for which Alpkit have been brilliant for!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Light blue north cape coolmax at lake Garda a couple of years ago, like yours, mine’s about 20 years old

scrumfled
    Free Member

I’ve got to ask….I’ve got a few coolmax t-shirts and they honk. I mean “5 minutes of wearing them and looking around for the dead dog”, honk.

How are you guys cleaning yours??

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Washing machine @ 30, I use deodorant 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Best bit of outdoor kit you've ever bought’ is closed to new replies.