Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Best bike rack
  • gordimhor

What would you recommend for taking two bikes on a small hatchback (corsa) Unfortunately buying a bigger car is not an option:-)

Scamper
    Free Member

Quite expensive new, but impressed with my Sarris 2, if it will fit a Corsa. Come in several colours including white if you want to colour co-ordinate it with your Audi.

Garry_Lager

Bike racks on the hatchback work well if you’re careful with them. I’d get one that attaches to the top of the car by threading the straps through the boot ‘hinge’ and onto a stop that sits inside the car(not the best explanation – it’s dead simple though). This seems really safe, there’s no way the rack can fall off the car short of a catastrophic failure like a strap shearing in two. I had one from Halfords like this and it worked great.

The ones that just clip onto the top of the boot seem less safe to me – although they’re common enough and I’ve used them in the past, never felt 100% driving with them.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Halfords Hi-Mount is good as it gets the bikes up and away from the lights and number plate – as obstructing these is illegal and you would need an extension light/number plate if they are blocked.

Also particularly good on a saloon as you can angle the top bit so the bikes are at the same angle as the rear window, not hanging off the back ready to fall off if a strap breaks.

If in Surrey you could have a look at my old one to see if it fits.

gordimhor

I have a couple of bike racks that fasten by threading the strap through the hinge like you describe glass trouble is they are scratching Mrs gordimhor ‘s car so a different rack is in order. Thanks 🙂

airbus387
    Free Member

Hi gordimhor my wife and i use a saris 3 bones rack on our car.So simple to fit and very well made well worth the £130 when we purchased it.All we we can say about it is A1 product check there web site out they are made in the usa.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Best bike rack’ is closed to new replies.