Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Best bike for Mincecore
  • roverpig

Is it always the case that a bike that is more forgiving of your faults will just encourage you to go faster, so when you do stack it the consequences are greater ? Or are there bikes that are forgiving of faults but still engaging enough at low speed that you don’t feel the desire to crank it up a bit more?

I_Ache
    Free Member

The faster the better Shirley?

roverpig

I’m not so sure. Speed is one of the conundrums of riding off-road for me. It seems that the faster you go the easier it is to ride most things, but the bigger the consequences when it goes wrong (as it always does sooner or later). Riding a technical section slowly takes a lot of skill and I wonder how often we (or I at any rate) use speed to compensate for a lack of skill.

Also, personally, I don’t actually enjoy speed that much. I’ve worked hard to gain altitude and I prefer it if all that work isn’t over in the blink of an eye. I much prefer riding at a comfortable speed and exploring different lines to just trying to get to the bottom as quickly as possible.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Hmm I would say most properly tech sections are actually harder the faster you go, but maybe we are coming from a different perspective.

Whenever I feel out of my depth I always slow right down, yes it’s quite hard picking a slow line through a rock garden but as you say there isn’t that much of a penalty if you fall off. Hitting a rock garden at serious speed you need to be spot on or its going to really hurt, that for me is the challenge.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hmm I would say most properly tech sections are actually harder the faster you go, but maybe we are coming from a different perspective.

I’m guessing it’s not a linear thing.
    Too slow and you have to do a lot to get the bike moving -1/4 cranks etc. in a more trials style. Thinking mainly of descending stuff like rocks, but the same could be said for ups.

Too fast and you can’t react, maintain traction, plan and execute the technique properly and the consequences go up. When your going slow stopping isn’t as much of a problem, at speed the dismount or foot down becomes much harder.

Somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot for most people, the wheels are rolling, the suspension is working and flow is happening.

If you are going to be riding slower then the thing that will help the most is decent low speed compression damping, the last thing you want is the fork to be diving when dropping a series of steps etc. So in answer to the question, yes – most bikes but I’d be looking at a different set-up for going slower than going flat out through stuff.

Cheezpleez

OP, have you tried riding a rigid 29er?

FOG

When I did motorbike enduros I was just as rubbish as at MTB ones. All my expert level riding mates recommended quite soft bikes which they said would be suitable for my limited skills. However when I bought a focused race bike I did much better – not as well as the good lads on the same bike but better than my previous performances. So go for the best bike you can afford and I think you will adjust quickly. You won’ be a superstar but you will go faster.

titusrider
    Free Member

if low speed (dh) is your thing get something rigid, the niner air perhaps?

however I would deffo say speed IS your friend, I love descending on the edge of control and the exhilarating rush of it all 🙂

I understand its not for everyone though, im v lucky that ive never had a ‘really’ bad crash (touch wood!) and I still get paid if I break my leg!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Best bike for Mincecore’ is closed to new replies.