Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Best bike for a week in the Lakes
  • djflexure

Should I take titanium hardtail with sid team, Stans 355 (and enjoy uphill) or evil sov, float 140, stans flow with big tyres (for peace of mind)? Staying in Hawkshead and thought I’d do runs out of the VP book as never rode there before. Did Kielder on the titanium but imagine riding the lakes is much more punishing.

Drac

Either will be fine.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Either, the Ti will be much quicker overall, but the Sov will possibly be more fun on the down’s,

lunchbox
    Free Member

singlespeed

mangatank
    Free Member

Good question! The Lakes rewards road and off-road riding. I’m just back from a week riding the passes on my ScandAL. I’ve set it up to flip easily between tarmac and XC, and I had ‘no problems’ doing the passes…well, apart from the usual heart failure! I also passed three guys on the top of Helvellyn. Not sure I’d want to heave their full sussers up there so again a lighter bike would make sense. On balance though, I prefer riding on-road in the lakes than off. Climbing out of Buttermere through the Newlands Pass in the pouring rain was more fun than I thought it’d be 😉

One last thing. They’ve been trimming the hedgerows on a lot of the lanes. Be prepared for flats :-/

grumm
    Free Member

Just depends on your preference really – I enjoy the downs much more so I prefer a bigger bike. I’ve dragged it up Helvellyn too and it was well worth it imo.

I prefer riding on-road in the lakes than off.

Weirdo 😛

mangatank
    Free Member

😆 I know! It’s such a waste of Britains best landscape!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

On balance though, I prefer riding on-road in the lakes than off

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTT???

mangatank
    Free Member

But, but…Wry Nose, Honister, Newlands…30% gradients…lovely!

This blog about cycling on the lake’s passes gets it spot on!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d take the Evil Sovereign, unless you really prefer climbing to descending.

thepurist

If you’re going to be riding around Hawkshead then there seems to be less hike-a-bike in that area than other bits of the Lakes. Of course that doesn’t necessarily apply if you’re heading to Walna Scar, Garburn, High St…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You’ll only be riding one of two trails whilst your there. Either The Fox run, or the North Face trail.

If you prefer the technical, gnarly rock fest of the Fox, then take the Sovereign (or even better, get a full bouncer!)

If you like the smooth, flowing single track of the North Face then take the ti hardtail.

jp-t853

It isn’t really a dilema. You would have great fun on a rigid 1988 stumpy (my first mountain bike). The hard tail will take you everywhere you need to go and put a big smile on your face.

crazy-legs

Take both?

scruff
    Free Member

big tyres

Nail. Head.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Grizedale’s natural trails on the hardtail.

grumm
    Free Member

Er, aren’t they both hardtails?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Dunno. Thought this was a full-sus vs hardtail issue, otherwise why bother asking?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’d take the Sov of those 2 options. If you’re doing any of the big passes, you’ll end up carrying a fair bit, so the climbing ability is moot, and the descents will be far more fun on the bigger bike.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Easy. Evil Sov. No contest really.

djflexure

OK thanks for the replies – think that I’m persuaded to go with the Sov. I sought of knew it would be the more versatile bike – just wondered about the hills as its quite heavy.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Best bike for a week in the Lakes’ is closed to new replies.