• This topic has 29 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Best before/Use by dates; foods that you would eat still
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

Just ate 2 yogurts. 2 weeks out of date.

One was yummy and the other was a bit funny and smelt a bit but no mould, so gave it s go.

scotroutes

Yogurt is just milk that has already gone off.

Anything in a tin is OK, whatever the date.

And how can vinegar have a Use By date? It’s a frikken preservative!

sirromj

Honey.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

There is quite a difference between best before and use by dates .

Bregante

I’ve got some dijon mustard from 2011 which I still use

scotroutes

See, that’s just crazy. That means you’ve had no more than a couple of bacon sarnies in five years.

Bregante

It’s a big jar 😀

And brown sauce is the correct accompaniment for bacon.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Ok Ramsey Neil, mine had use by dates.

Without googling it myself, could you tell us what they mean?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Take my word on not using out of date cod liver oil…..

chakaping
    Free Member

If they were imaginary yogurts then you’ll probably be ok mate.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Chicke, pork and seafood/fish – I’m pretty careful with.

Anything else I go with my nose.

fathomer

Pretty much anything as long as smells and tastes ok.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Never use out of date stock cubes unless you enjoy spending the night in the bathroom.

Most oils don’t go off but oxidise making them taste different.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Some of the best yoghurt experiences in my life have been when they’re 2 months out of date and have separated.

Pour the rancid liquid away and eat the rather bitter yoghurt that’s left.

Gurt lush.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I knew a guy who used my jar of chicken liens sauce 3 months out of date.

I told him not to use it… He stunk up the bathroom.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Most things bar meat

Drac

Never use out of date stock cubes unless you enjoy spending the night in the bathroom

Can’t say that happened to me. There’s an awful lot of salt in the so not much to go off.

breadcrumb

I recently had a tin of spaghetti that was two years of date. It took some persuading out of the tin but had no repercussions.

mountainman

WHY put a date on cheese,other than silly regs ,cheddar improves with age ,just scrape off the mold .

konabunny
    Free Member

Is there a regulatory requirement to have a use by date on cheese?

riddoch

I think there has a use by/best before on all packaged items.
    The good ones are honey which as far as I aware never goes to off or Volvic which has a spiel on the side about how many thousand years the water has been filtering through rock but has to be drunk within 6 months when bottled.

domwells27
    Free Member

I too wondered about the bottled water use by dates. It turns out the date is for the plastic bottle, not the water.

shermer75
    Free Member

Best before is a recommendation, use by is a warning

jordie
    Free Member

Percy pigs

km79
    Free Member

Best before means the item will taste better eaten before this date, it wont kill you after this date, just won’t be at its best. Canned goods, dried foods such as pasta, cereals etc.

Use by is for fresh foods, meats and pre prepared vegetables, ready meals from the fridge etc. Use by this date to be safe. Use after this date may cause severe food poisoning.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Right up until it looks skanky/smells funny.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Bit more clarity on “use by” dates…

Doesn’t necessarily mean the product is deffo dangerous after this time. Just means that it is not tested / warranted after this point.

And there’s a fair bit of leeway in the official testing – it assumes worst case unrefrigerated journey home and dodgy storage conditions thereafter.

T666DOM

I ignore both. I’ve had yogurts 3 months out of date that were lovely. Cut any mould of cheese & I must have tinned stuff going back 10 years. Unless the packaging is blown or it stinks I’ll give it a go. Living life on the edge me! !

slowoldman

See, that’s just crazy. That means you’ve had no more than a couple of bacon sarnies in five years.[/quote]
    Dijon mustard on a bacon sarnie? Are you from Poynton?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nothing, not one single thing – I’m incredibly fussy about stuff like that – I put it down to nearly losing my Mum to food poisoning in my Teens.

I understand it’s only really a guide, and most of it just refers to eating it when it’s at it’s highest quality – but nothing in my house gets used passed any dates.

That said we hardly ever throw any food anyway either, I carefully shop and plan for the week and hate waste, I getting really anal about it – but no one in my house goes hungry and no ones getting any fatter.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Best before/Use by dates; foods that you would eat still’ is closed to new replies.