Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Best Beacons trail to try – Blue or easy Red.
  • colournoise

Off to S Wales next week with my wife.

Going to have a day at Brechfa, but will be camping near Brecon. There seem to be a few graded natural trails in the Beacons – anyone offer suggestions of the best ones to try?

I’m a pretty confident ‘red’ rider (trail centre wise have done Laggan and Dalby), but my wife isn’t yet confident on anything harder than a blue or easy red (she has happily done Thetford and Sherwood reds for example).

Thanks in advance.

slainte ❓ rob

dekadanse
    Free Member

The Gap – quite long at 24 miles, and with some easier slow climbs but also a fair amount of steeper climbing and some techie challenges on the way up and deffo on the way down. Great ‘big mountains’ views. My wife and I did it on hardtails 3 years ago and she talks about it still!

mrmo
    Free Member

The gap is as rides go not technically demanding, there was the bit at the top of The Gap and there is the river crossing? but the gap has been sanitised. It does have some decent views.

I would avoid the Black route involving Y das, it isn’t technically hard, except for the last decent, but it is long.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Perhaps head up Mynydd Llangors from Bwlch, some steep bits but not too hard, head over towards Mynydd Troed/Pengenffordd (pint in the castle?). Back around the side of the hills to Bwlch.

I’d agree with staying off Y Das/Grib/Rhiw Trwmau on the Blacks.

The gap is very amenable, climb the Taff trail rather than the Brinore Dramroad to avoid doing the rockier Dol-y-gaer section.

Nipper99
    Free Member

a loop along Sarn Helen from Fforest Lodge out toward Ystradfellte is well worth it.

colournoise

Thanks for the replies.

Did the ‘official’ Gap route in the end – great day out (although my wife wasn’t saying that at various uphill points and looser surfaced downhill bits during the ride) and the weather was spot on too.

Some grinding climbs but 3 good descents (off the tramway into the valley, off the Gap itself although I bottled that first steepest section before it turns left into the main descent, and the ‘tree tunnel’ rocky rooty drop into Brecon).

slainte 😀 rob

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s a classic ride.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Best Beacons trail to try – Blue or easy Red.’ is closed to new replies.