Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Best balance bike?
  • hora
    Free Member

Garylake- great pics. He’ll be looking back at those when hes 20-odd 8)

Reminds me of my favourite Mintsauce

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

My son found the Rothan too heavy and long at 2 years old. Refused to ride (but coveted it all the same). Finally got on it last weekend and was just off like a shot. He turns three in 6 weeks. So in our case the Rothan was a 3+ bike really.

This was our experience too. My boy is now 4 but still loves the Rothan but is now starting to have a go on his pedal bike too (second hand Cnoc 16).

joemarshall
    Free Member

My son found the Rothan too heavy and long at 2 years old. Refused to ride (but coveted it all the same). Finally got on it last weekend and was just off like a shot. He turns three in 6 weeks. So in our case the Rothan was a 3+ bike really. Others may experience more success younger. I guess our lad isn’t the heftiest of boys.

Yeah, that’s why we got the Strider, because it is lighter. Was pickable up by Rose about 3 months before she was 2, and easy enough to ride by 2, and she wasn’t that big a kid. Feels noticeably lighter compared to any other ones I’ve picked up.

summitsup
    Free Member

Most scootbikes do a good job. Key things to look for though are Tyres and tubes for the wheel option, my lad had solid close cell foam ones, hard wering but not much grip when wet. Also go for an option with a front brake, learning to stop with brakes is then done. when your young’un gets on a bike with pedals and brakes then you just have to teach them to pedal. Enjoy! 🙂

Free Member

My nephews both had a Stompee and I cannot recommend them highly enough. Excellent quality and very durable. Great value too.

http://www.mafiabike.com/stompee-balance-bike/stompee.html

joemarshall
    Free Member

My nephews both had a Stompee and I cannot recommend them highly enough. Excellent quality and very durable. Great value too.

Looks great for the price, although 35cm seat height surely rules out a lot of 2 year olds – my one only hit 35cm inside leg with shoes at about 2 and 9 months.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Everytime our lad went off a kerb the bars spun, no matter what we did they still would move- prompt refund.

The model I have has stops to prevent this

davosaurusrex

I bought a FirstBike for ours;

http://thefirstbike.co.uk/

My 3 year old is just moving onto a Hotrock 16 and his older sister has a Beinn 20 (bought through b r off here). I think you’re better off spending more money on kids bikes as they get bigger and more complicated (the bikes, not the kids). We paid about £80 off Wiggle for the FirstBike about 4 years ago so they’ve gone up a bit in price although ours doesn’t have a brake. However it appears to be near indestructible, you can leave it out in the rain unlike the wooden ones, it has a lowering kit for the rear axle and is really light and easy to carry when their little legs get tired.

I may have also ridden it down the same slope a few times and it isn’t bust or nuffink!

LD
    Free Member

Likeabike Jumper.

jamesy01
    Free Member

That Stompee looks bad assed!

Tell me a bit more about it if you can…weight, size of brake lever for little hands and is there steering restriction?

Looks great for the price, although 35cm seat height surely rules out a lot of 2 year olds – my one only hit 35cm inside leg with shoes at about 2 and 9 months.

Going to measure him up tonight, he’s a tall lad…head buts me in the testicles every time he goes in for a cuddle 😯

toppers3933
    Free Member

for what its worth, the minimum saddle height on a scoot/zoom is 27cm

GaryLake
    Free Member

Cheers guys, was a very proud weekend!

Shortly after the picture of him tugging on my brake levers he called out to his Mum, “I’m telling Daddy how to do it!”

And so it begins…

hora
    Free Member

Likeabike Jumper.

Fantastic pics :mrgreen:

bentudder

Udderlet 1 is on a Specialized Hotwalk. Udderlet 2 is just getting to grips with his castoff Toddlebike, which was pretty instrumental in getting Udderlet 1 onto a balance bike and riding it, feet up, in under 20 minutes.

The Hotwalk is a brilliant little bike, but one thing we’ve found is that Udderlet 1 needs a brake. He’s worn out a couple of pairs of boots over the last three months stopping, and is now jamming his heels into the back wheel. Given the chance, we’d have spent the extra on a Beinn. I think it was about another £15 or so at the time. We’re ordering a Cnoc for him next week, as he’s now three years and four months old. Plenty of life and adjustment left in the Hotwalk, but his riding ability has superseded the bike’s ability to stop.

Don’t underestimate the need for a brake of some sort – although they can bring their own problems, too.

Free Member

Not sure but I think my nephews had them from about 1 1/2 onwards… I might be wrong though, probably best to measure.

That Stompee looks bad assed!

Tell me a bit more about it if you can…weight, size of brake lever for little hands and is there steering restriction?

They look great don’t they! I’m not sure re weight, but I can remember being impressed at the weight/quality (rims are alloy etc). Brake levers were fine for the boys, they had them from about 1 1/2 if I remember rightly. They also have a decent V-Brake too which is very effective, unlike most others which have cheap bmx brakes. Certainly hasn’t been a bad start for them.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just hit the buy button on a strider here for blobby jr. So what’s the best way to get him started on it? He’s 18 months so I’m guessing it’ll just be up and down the hallway initially and see what he thinks before he progresses to drop offs and gap jumps 🙂 I’ll have to try not to be too disappointed if he shows no interest!

jamesy01
    Free Member

I took Jamesyjnr to the LBS for a look at the Zooom on Saturday. None in stock however he had a seat on a Cubie and was off with no tuition at all!
    Needless to say a Zooom is now on order and I’m worried for my Strava segments…

mrblobby
    Free Member

This just turned up today…

To say I am super excited is a bit of an understatement. I’m sure Blobby Jr will be underwhelmed and just want his tea when he gets home!

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Best balance bike?’ is closed to new replies.