Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Best area North Wales for wilderness, remote riding
  • Garry_Lager

What are some good areas N or N central Wales to get far from the madding crowd? Stuff that feels remote, won’t-see-a-soul-all-day sort of rides? Looking to take a day off work Manchester way and head for the hills – any tips on areas to look at that fit the bill?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

You’ll be wanting mid rather than north Wales.

saxabar
    Free Member

With a bit of climb-a-bike, the Carneddi.

steve_b77
    Free Member

There’s a route from the Marin (least populated trail centre in the world) that buggers off into the moors and adds 20odd km, proper people free

funkybaj
    Free Member

You barely meet another rider at Penmachno or Cli-machx on a weekend, a weekday even less chance!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve heard Llandegla can be quite quiet nowadays

Rorschach
    Free Member

Berwyns/Glyn Ceriog/Tanat Valley.

Nipper99
    Free Member

what Rorschach said.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Rorschach. Ssshhh!

ton
    Garry_Lager

Thanks all for the suggestions, loads to look at there.

jonesyboy

Rorschach – that 8hr ride we did would have to count as pretty remote around them there hills

cinnamon_girl

Agree with ton. The Wayfarer is not a Classic for nothing! Remote with stonking scenery and pack those waterproof socks!

I rode it on my own many years ago, started at Llandrillo. Twas a big day out. 8)

Ambrose

Mid Wales my friend- take a look at a map and sort a route around Plynlimon. But whatever you do, avoid the Afon Hengwm valley. Have fun!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    beiciwr64
    Free Member
    tmb467
    Free Member

Tried to do Pont Scethin route in Sept – t’was recommended we do it clockwise rather than anti-clockwise but we couldn’t find the path over the top from the big farm

Cloud came down as well so we had to cut over to the breich with a fair bit of hike- a-bike

Came back to find Strava had given us a segment automatically cos the hike a bike was so high. I’m KOM on it 🙂

mattbee

Not done the Wayfarer since the mid 90s, but that always seemed pretty epic.
    Mind you, the top of Ruabon mountain can feel epic and remote if it’s pissing it down & blowing a gale…

metruscan
    Free Member

Ditto on Pont Scethin near Barmouth. Amazing views. Take an OS map though, it was needed lots of times for route checking, and that was on a sunny day. I can see it being a difficult ride in bad weather. Also I thought I was reasonably fit, (for that, read trail centre fit) but the two main climbs totally slayed me! Pushing involved..

rob81
    Free Member

Knighton to Rhayader is a beautiful ride and very quiet.

Garry_Lager

I did that wayfarer route today that Ton posted above – thks, just what the doctor ordered. Clockwise from LDC and saw nae one aside from one other rider (twice) doing it the other way round. Seemed like a good introduction to the area; plenty of climbing, nice feeling of being ‘out there’ – legs are toast atm.

Not the best day to do it really in pure mountain bike terms – torrential rain and v strong winds at the start looked like it was going to be seriously character-building. Quietened down a lot, though, and even had some blue skies in the middle. Trails were very wet; be good to get back when it’s drier and work in some variations.

Cheezpleez

Good stuff. Looks like you had fun

ton

nice one mate
    I hope to do it again myself one day, health permitting……. 8)

tomtomthepipersson

Used the ride the wayfarer loads. There’s also loads of great riding round Lake Vyrnwy – up towards Bala, or at the other end around Hirnant.

loddrik
    Free Member

Round the Clwyds in midweek out of summer is nice and quiet. Don’t see many others, sheep excepted.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Best area North Wales for wilderness, remote riding’ is closed to new replies.