Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Best alternative tools thread – what do you use to bodge a job?
  • stavromuller
    Free Member

The reverse of this is I once opened a bottle of wine with a CO2 tyre inflator and a football adaptor. Nearly took my bleedin’ head off but didn’t spill any wine so happy days.

sadexpunk

the 9p bottle of pop for inflating tubeless, and…… 2 or 3 links of a chain for removing the insert on the valves.

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

I just used an m6 rawl bolt, socket and washer instead of a blind bearing puller to do the horst link bearings on my stumpy! Lbs wanted 50 quid and 3 days just to pull the 2 bearings out of the ready dismantled rear triangle!!!! £5 and a pack of m6rawl bolts later the job was done in about 15min!!!

_tom_
    Free Member

Rubber mallet + socket wrench extension = headset remover. The same mallet also puts headset cups in.

vickypea
    Free Member

When I had Avid Elixirs on my bike and the pistons wouldn’t go back where they belonged, after changing the pads, I found that a cone spanner waggled between the pads made enough space to allow the wheel to turn again!
    🙂

solarpowered
    Free Member

A good boyfriend! Not one that you can just pick up from Aldi or wherever, but a real good quality boyfriend! Priceless bitof kit in my book 😆

kudos100
    Free Member

Good thread. The shimano skewer works a treat as a headset press. Bit of a ball ache for 1.5″ headsets, but still works.

DezB
    Free Member

Piece of hoover pipe for crown race installation. (+hammer, naturally)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

And I thought I was rough using a chisel to remove crowns!

The grid for the win IMO.

tboz
    Free Member

smaller sized bolt/screw for the cheapo crank puller to work with the square taper

and yesterday, had to remove the freehub from a hub (not in wheel). old gear cable used to lace the hub around a strip of wood to hold it in place, worked a treat

granny_ring

On and on wins with the drain grate.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Best alternative tools thread – what do you use to bodge a job?’ is closed to new replies.