Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Best alternative to star fangled nut
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

I don’t like then. What are my options?

weeksy

Hope head doctor.

What don’t you like? I’ve never touched one in 10 years.

Jamie
    Free Member

What are my options?

To learn to forgive, and give them another chance?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Well it made an annoying creaking sound that I couldn’t locate before disintegrating. When I fitted the new one it didn’t go in straight which I blame the nut for.

weeksy

Lol yes dear.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Used to have an irrational hatred of them and rocked Planet-X Head Locks for years.

No bloody idea why, they work fine and don’t weigh anything like the next “best” thing.

Buy a fitting tool if you must.

Northwind

My fitting tool is a random bit of M6 bar. Thread into sfn from the bottom, drop into fork, tap in. The bar prevents it from getting more than a degree or two out of true. Dead easy.

bikeneil
    Free Member

It would be better to learn to fit them properly.

nicko74

Hope Hed Doctor. Used one for years, seems fine, although installation can be a bit of a pain.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

it didn’t go in straight which I blame the nut for.

The nut on which end of the hammer…? 😉

Rather than spend money on anything else, it’s better to spend money on the proper insertion tool which will fit all your cheap/free star nuts for the rest of your life..!

jes
    Free Member

Nasty scratchy things that don’t go near my precious things.

Hope head doctor FTW 🙂

rotary
    Free Member

Azonic headlock, used one before, did the job

nickjb
    Free Member

Ham fisted spannering with an SFN will result in a wonky nut. Do the same with a hed doctor and you’ll write off your forks. Buy the SFN insertion tool if you really can’t do it. Anything else is second best.

matther01
    Free Member

Squirrel – I have spare head doctor if you want? A little beaten up but can have it for postage price.

jeffl

Previously used an azonic headlock, not sure why as it weighed a tonne. Last time used a SFN with metal threaded rod to insert it.

mtbtom
    Free Member

Yeah, get the tool – it’s cheaper than any of the alternatives. I have this one:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-tools-star-nut-installer/rp-prod10224

Super easy to use.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve been using this Pro one on my carbon steerers. Otherwise just use a star nut and get a proper installation tool (I have that xtools one linked above.)

By the way, anyone know of an expander cap thing that works with Giant overdrive carbon steerers?

colin9

I’ve had recurring star nut issues, in the end I got fed up with them and bought a Gusset Headlock. A bit weighty on my fairly light HT but I’m happy in the knowledge that my headset is now firmly held together and doesn’t budge when I’m giving it a hammering downhill.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Nothing to do with the SFN if it does come loose though. All its used for is to lightly pre load the bearings, its the stem that clamps it all up. You can take the top cap off after the stem is clamped up and it’ll be good to go.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’m happy in the knowledge that my headset is now firmly held together and doesn’t budge when I’m giving it a hammering downhill.

Surely if you’re relying on it to do much at that point you’re doing it wrong?

grievoustim
    Free Member

Just get the x tools installation tool and stop worrying about it

Your stem holds your forks in place, the top cap is to preload your bearings. Tecnically, you can take it off once your stem is tight.

Hope Head Doctor works for me – just changed forks and whipped it out and back in again no probs.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve use a Woodman Encapsulator for a few years. Its a few grams heavier than other options, but it works, and even has a tapped hole in the bottom for fitting big fat motocross style fenders.

_tom_
    Free Member

Star nuts are fine. Put the bolt in and hammer it in making sure it stays straight. It doesn’t even matter if it’s a bit wonky anyway. Head doctors are a solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Matther – no ta, I have 2 sitting spare ATM but thanks for the offer (Trailstar has a Hed Doctor I think and DH bike is in pieces).

nedrapier

I tend to be a “make do, judgement, skill and a keen eye” sort of person, but for some reason I bought a SFN installer (pricey forks, £10 on top seemed inconsequential, I guess). Cheaper than a Hed doctor, too.

It’s brilliant. None of this careful tapping, lining up nonsense. It’s as easy as “spin, thunk, whack, spin” and takes about as long to do as does to say it. You don’t have to spend as much time making sure the steerer is cut square either.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

I found a BBB powerhead easier to use then the hope head doctor

MrOvershoot

nedrapier – Member

I tend to be a “make do, judgement, skill and a keen eye” sort of person, but for some reason I bought a SFN installer (pricey forks, £10 on top seemed inconsequential, I guess). Cheaper than a Hed doctor, too.

It’s brilliant. None of this tapping, lining up nonsense. It’s as easy as “spin, thunk, whack, spin” and takes about as long to do as does to say it. You don’t have to spend as much time making sure the steerer is cut square either.

This + lots 🙂

nedrapier

Mr overshoot – 🙂

I think a lot of the enjoyment comes from the fact that giving something a good whack with a hammer is absolutely the correct method.

Hitting things hard with a hammer is a simple pleasure, but usually if you’re doing that to a bit of bicycle, you’re well down the road of things gone wrong and that rather takes the shine off it.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Possibly (probably) a dumb question, but will a standard SFN for a 1 1/8″ steerer work in a tapered steerer?

I assume it will, and just expands a little as the steerer gets slightly wider lower down.

darkslider
    Free Member

Yep, tapered steerers are still 1 1/8″ at the top.

Sui
    Free Member

I’m baffled, what is wrong with a SFN? It’s not there to hold anything, it’s primary job (only job), is to pull the Stem on to ensure a correct fit of the Crown Race and the headset. Fitting them is hardly rocket science, Christ I’ve had to do it on the trails after a steerer snapped, using a rock, bit of wood and an old knive.. that lasted fine.

Sui
    Free Member

Hitting things hard with a hammer is a simple pleasure, but usually if you’re doing that to a bit of bicycle, you’re well down the road of things gone wrong and that rather takes the shine off it.

I had to do this to get my cranks off the other day, bloody bearing had got stuck on the axel and came out with it! Big hammer and wood time!

GrahamS

I’ve had recurring star nut issues… bought a Gusset Headlock.. I’m happy in the knowledge that my headset is now firmly held together and doesn’t budge when I’m giving it a hammering downhill.

I think we can probably guess why you’ve been having “star nut issues”

Pro Tip: they are not for holding your headset together! 😀

colin9

I think we can probably guess why you’ve been having “star nut issues”

Pro Tip: they are not for holding your headset together!

Ah well maybe it was my stem which was slipping. Either way it’s no longer causing me a problem!

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

Head doctors are a solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist.

the solution to the problem of people not buying the proper insertion tool – they’re only about £10 for gawds sake.

_tom_
    Free Member

A rubber mallet doesn’t have to cost a tenner 😛

higthepig
    Free Member

Sent Mrs htp to a major motor factors cum bike shop today to get a SFN, neither the mechanic nor the manager had heard of one before, therefore Head Doctors et al must be the only means of fixing bars/forks together.

She found one on a rack and showed them what one is, every day is a school day I suppose. 😳

nedrapier

To be fair, it does sound like a made up thing you’d send the apprentice to the stores for.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Everyone’s asking what’s wrong with SFN’s..?

It’s a pretty rare example, but a mate sheared his steerer through the nut when he cased a jump, and his stem broke off. Reason was a huge build up of corrosion around the nut, and the fact that he’d just cased a jump… hard enough to send the stanchions slightly banana shaped!

He’d used it for loads of winters getting around on the roads. Loads of commute bikes end up with very crusty SFNs. You see it when you replace a lot of headsets on them. I like Head Doctors for that reason.. Alu steerer, alu expander, no corrosion problem. No worries if it’s a steel steerer though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Best alternative to star fangled nut’ is closed to new replies.