Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Best Alps destination for a toddler
  • tree-magnet
    Free Member

Everyone’s on MTB holidays and I’m stuck in Iraq!

Still, I’m home on leave in a couple of weeks and fancy getting a big mountain fix. However, I’m not going to be able to take a bike with me, and I’d like to take my wife and 3 year old as they’ve never been. Zermatt is where I’ve headed before, but as this would probably be for just 3 or 4 days, it’s a long way to travel. That, and from memory I can’t think of much to do for a toddler.

Soooo, has anyone got any recommendations for a family Alps trip? Italy would be good (the missus loves the food and culture) but anywhere is fine really. I like the high Alps, but I’d like it if there was something to do with the boy. Ice caves, zoo’s, outdoor pools, that kind of thing.

Anyone got any ideas?

mrhoppy

Tignes? There’s an ice grotto on the glacier, a funicular through the mountain, a pretty good pool and a lake. Lifts are free to go biking too.

tinsy
    Free Member

Why not Morzine/Les Gets, it has a nice lake, there is a swimming pool in Morzine and lots & lots of bike hire shops for when you get a chance for you time?

dan45a
    Free Member

I just got back from Morzine and was discussing this scenario with our chalet host, as am considering taking my wife and what will be 2 year old twins next year.

Morzine has a new aquatic centre, with slides and water games etc.. plus there seemed to be plenty going on in the town.

The other recommendation was for Finale Ligure on the Italian Riviera. Medieval town on the beach front. Nice beach with lots for the family to do. I’m really tempted by this one.

Was in Les Arcs a few years back and there was some great stuff to do out of Bourg saint Morice.

All have great riding and bike hire so its win win as far as I can see.

I’m sure there are lots more places….good luck!

jambalaya
    Free Member

The new pool in Morzine is pretty nice and was nicely full every day (ie not packed). To be honest most decent Alpine resorts have a nice Acquatic centre. The town is very quiet in summer and dominated by “stormtropper” brits, so not really a family destination I’d say.

Zermat’s fantastic but a bit wasted on a toddler as you say. Likewise Verbier, nice pool, very sunny, good restaruants.

Suggest you try something along the lake in Geneva, eg Montreux or Evian, find a hotel with a pool. Easy access to mountains (Montreux via mountain railway/car Evian via car, it’s about 40 mins to PdS resorts).

Alternatively try Lake Garda (Verona airport), Malcesine has the cable car from the town. Pretty lakeside town, swimmming in lake or hotel pool, boat trips, cable car up to restaurants/hiking … Italy is very child friendly.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Oops, wrong forum! 😳

Thanks guys, especially Jambalaya, some good advice there. Going to have a good look at Lake Garda on t’interwebs.

Ta muchly.

bonchance
    Free Member

Have done well in Chamonix valley in past, with lil’uns.

As a bike free option. NW Spain picos was good as well. Few days at beach, few days up around Potes. Campsite cheap and friendly. In fact everything was good over that side of Spain.

Have also done Cortina area but might be a bit lacking tdlr wise.. via ferrata rocks though 🙂

barn
    Free Member

Took my toddler to Chamonix last year.
    Loads of outdoor playgrounds along the river path, great pool, good paved areas for scootering/balance-bike.
    We all loved being able to just walk from the apartment and have fun little local adventures.
    Stick nipper in a backpack and get a lift up for stunning walking / picnic on a mountain!

Le Fayet is 25 mins away with lovely walks around the Spa/Baths.
    St. Gervais is five mins from above and nice spot for lunch (boy enjoyed doing the skate ramps on his scooter!?)

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

As above, Chamonix or north Lake Garda area.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Best Alps destination for a toddler’ is closed to new replies.