Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Best all rounder hardtail
  • nickfrog
    Free Member

Nah, but I reckon you couldn’t go much wrong with a Bird Zero TR. I wouldn’t describe the Meta as a do it all hardtail.

Mine wasn’t great on flat stuff and bimbles.

What was wrong with yours on flat stuff and bimbles ?

The TR versions of both the Meta and Zero are less of do it all HT IMO. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were discontinued soon (I think they’re won’t be a 2018 META TR).

theraggyone
    Free Member

i was looking for something like your description when i built my onza jackpot and couldn’t be happier with how its turned out . its great for trail riding and also a ton of fun in the bike park

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Stooge, so many wheel conatations that makes it a Very versatile and capable trail bike

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Never ridden pkus; so don’t know what it’s like…

Great. Love it.

And a second set of 29er wheels with mud tyres makes for a really adaptable bike.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

This Kona is INSANELY discounted.

Yes but the frame is coke can thickness, and in my experience Kona won’t warranty it when it starts to go

I would go for at least 120mm on the forks

johnw1984
    Free Member

nickfrog, I’ve not got it anymore. It just felt harsh and unforgiving, pretty slack, steering felt horrible. I just never got on with it.

I’m not saying 160mm forks on hardtails don’t work, but that one really didn’t. Tried it with a 150mm fork and a 1.5deg angleset, think it made it worse!

gribble
    Free Member

I would recommend a Bfe, but I have to as I have just built one up. I actually went for a 26in one (using forks and wheels I had). You can see it (it is the bright Orange one) on this thread: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/friday-is-cotic-day/page/7

For balance, anything by Whyte, Orange Cotic, Bird and Commencal would be on my list. A mate has just got a Cannondale Beast of the East (27.5+) which rides nicely and is lush.

nickfrog
    Free Member

nickfrog, I’ve not got it anymore. It just felt harsh and unforgiving, pretty slack, steering felt horrible. I just never got on with it.

Strange. Mine feels quite literally the opposite on 160mm Yaris and 2.35 Hans/Nic at 30psi. Must be a subjective thing.

Were you the one who had the cracked seat tube issue ?

vincienup
    Free Member

Are you looking for a whole, spanking new bike? You’d get change worth mentioning if you’re including Good SH examples, or if you went say, new frame/drive train and build kit but carefully chosen SH wheels and fork you’d easily expand the range to include stuff like the Soul you think is ideal but over budget…

plus-one

Pinnacle Iroko is a stonking bike 8)

I had a lovely steel 26’r for winter riding but after riding the iroko i sold the 26’r ..

It’s a great all rounder

moonboy
    Free Member

Another vote for an old 2nd hand soul. Recently built one up from bits, frame was £150 off here. Wish I’d done it ages ago. 740mm bars, 60mm stem, does not feel old fashioned next to my 2016 fuel.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Were you the one who had the cracked seat tube issue ?

No that wasn’t me. I didn’t have it long enough!

If it makes a difference, it was a 2016 model. Maybe I didn’t give it enough of a chance, or the stiffer Yari would have made a big difference? I tried a 150mm Fox 34 and the 160mm Fox 32 that it came with (which was terrible).

I recently changed to my old Yari from a 2017 Fox 34 Factory on my Stumpy before it went up for sale. I found the Yari much more suited.

I suppose this highlights how different people feel on different bikes. People can only really recommend or shoot down what they’ve ridden.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Is the Tarn20 quite a long bike? I was looking at one but wasn’t sure if I needed a medium or large as one of the reviewers had the large as being too big for 5ft 11?

Can you class the Orange Crush as all round?? It’s at a decent price at sunset.

The 2017 Marin Nail Trail 7 650B is down to £900.

I have a medium Tarn 10. I’m 5’10” and I like a longer bike. I don’t think you’d want it any longer than it actually is.

Recently gave it the Trigger’s Broom treatment and added a suspension fork and 29er wheels. Unsurprisingly, feels a lot more all-day rideable and XC-ish and a better bet for the winter clag season. Still to try the plus wheels and sus forks combo, though.

ravingdave

sooooo ive finally decided which way to jump on this; and ive gone for a……

Pinnacle Iroko 3! it was on the shortlist and having swung a leg over the medium fits very well. It helps that it was in the sale from £1350 down to £1200. I was then able to get for £1100 as I have used my local Evans store for lots recently and they’re really good guys in there.
    Linky:

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-iroko-3-2017-mountain-bike-EV275645

mm93
    Free Member

Looks great mate,let us know how you get on with it, it’s on my short list as a next bike but can’t decide weather to go hardtail or full sus .?.

vondally
    Free Member

Stooge

matt_outandabout

Cracking colour of bike. 8)

vickypea
    Free Member

I have a 2nd hand Soul, it’s a great bike, I love it

astormatt
    Free Member

I don’t think you would be disappointed with the 909….i love mine, great bike.

View post on imgur.com

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Best all rounder hardtail’ is closed to new replies.