• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Best all round soft shell?
  • swillybey
    Free Member

Hi all,
    I currently use a BTwin (Decathlon) soft shell that I bought about 6 years ago and is slightly too small. Works ok, apart from the fact it doesn’t appear to be at all breathable so leaves me all moist.

I usually run a merino baselayer, standard breathable jersey, if chilly this BTwin softshell on top and if very cold / wet a goretex paclite over the top.

I’ve been having a quick look and see the Shimano Winter Windstopper on CRC seems relatively cheap at the moment.

Are there any other good budget – mid range soft shells I should be looking at?

Cheers!

redddraggon
    Free Member

http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/soft-shell-and-fleece/alpine-stretch-jacket

I got one of them ^^ from GoOutdooors a while ago, and I find it good. Cost me about £60.

Hood works well under or over the helmet too.

matt_outandabout

Best for what?
    Softshell covers a vast range of performance – some are windproof, some warm, some breathable, some near waterproof…
    Personally, I like a thin, breathable, barely windproof one (Montane Dyno). To this I add thin layers below.

swillybey
    Free Member

@redddragon – Cheers, will check out GoOutdoors, they have been good to me in the past.

@matt – Like I say, best allrounder… Windproof and moderate warmth but breathability is key, not bothered about being waterproof. Or is that asking too much?

matt_outandabout

Windproof & breathable – I would just go a light pertex shell with a big zip. Montane Singletrack or similar.
    I would then just add base layers or fleece as needed.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Polaris AM Vapour at GoOutdoors £54…… Old fashioned breathable but warm……I personally think this style of jacket build is much more flexible than modern softshells. I currently use a Rab Generator Smock that’s bady battle scarred ( ripped, stitched, stick on patch repairs etc) but it still kept me lively and warm in the past weeks sub zero icy rides and is really breathable and warm even if wetted out……..but as I shredded it again using the end of the handlebars across my chest I thought I would treat myself to what I’ve recommended…..I had a similar tyoe jacket back in the day and used it daily in winter on my icy long commutes and MTB rides.

Bucko

My Howies Dyfi suits me fine, windproof, as breathable as I’d expect (better than my gore tex waterproof), waterproof enough to shrug off a heavy shower, and less than £40.

Edit: I know it’s not actually a soft shell

Nipper99
    Free Member

Ive seen the Gore Element windstopper in a couple of sales in the £70 range.

mrchrispy

Gore phantom.
    End of thread

rascal
    Free Member

Phantom +1.
    Halfords had a ladies version for £50 a few days ago so worth looking out for one.

njee20
    Free Member

Windproof & breathable – I would just go a light pertex shell with a big zip. Montane Singletrack or similar.
    I would then just add base layers or fleece as needed.

I disagree, but I’m not one for layers. Gore Phantom or Oxygen (more pockets, more fitted cut) are both very good. Ice got an old ‘next to skin’ Phantom Plus which is great, super warm and don’t wear anything underneath it.

johnnystorm

Gore Bikewear windstopper with zip off arms. Loads of great features, sensible pockets, etc. Expensive but worth it.

Del

phantom not much cop for off-roading. too thick, doesn’t breath that well.
    hagloffs boa FTW. just as resistant to water, lighter, more comfortable all around, and you can stick layers under if you want.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have an Endura Windchill, pretty good for the price around £70, I wear it with a windstopper gillet when it’s particularly cold/windy. I haven’t tried the Gore Phantom suggested above but from what I see online for an extra £20 that would look very tempting

monkeychild
    Free Member

Altura Varium is rather good IMHO. I use mine on the road and off-road and find it brilliant (I sweat loads). However, I paid something like £50 for mine from Leckies, I would never have paid the full price £100+ as I’m tight.

njee20
    Free Member

Gore Bikewear windstopper with zip off arms. Loads of great features, sensible pockets, etc. Expensive but worth it.

They do a whole range of softshells, but the Phantom has the zip off sleeves.

phantom not much cop for off-roading. too thick, doesn’t breath that well.

Really? Depends how cold it is, and I do find the Gore Softshells warm, but wouldn’t go that far. If it’s not as cold I wear a couple of Assos 851s, which are excellent, but are more expensive than Gore.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Never understood the appeal of soft shells. Classic hybrid BT master of Nowt, I would rather have base layers and wind proof/waterproof outer. But then again I am a sweaty bugger who gets hot quickly, ran this morning in -4 in shorts and a t shirt and was piping,

njee20
    Free Member

Whilst I never wear my waterproof, literally once or twice a year. Softshells breathe far better and keep you warm in all but the most horrendous conditions. Just sweat like a pig in a waterproof. Running is different though.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am the other way round njee. Sweat buckets in soft shell. I have a NF windstopper top. This plus a HH base layer normally suits me in winter.

MSP

Windstopper isn’t very breathable, I find I also sweat in a pertex shell*, my favorite is a montane hyena jacket which is made out of powersheild which is much more breathable. Unfortunately they don’t make it anymore, but I would definitely recommend powersheild for biking.

*the problem with pertex is that it doesn’t wick, so largely works as a vapour barrier.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Best all round soft shell?’ is closed to new replies.