Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • Best albums of 2013 so far.
  • jonjones262
    Free Member

New Alter Bridge album is pretty flippin’ good!! 🙂

jekkyl

daft punk – ram

DezB
    Free Member

In addition to my list on page 1

Factory Floor – Factory Floor
    Moderat – II
    Joy Wellboy – Yorokobi’s Mantra
    Paul White – Watch the Ants
    Tricky – False Idols
    Demon Queen – Exorcise Tape

(worst – Daft Punk – Bland Access Borings)

prawny

Any votes for the newest Killswitch Engage one? A lot better than I expected.

I think that’s probably the only album that I’ve listened too this year that was released this year. I’m such a dad.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Queens of the Stone Age – Like Clockwork particularly love track 8 Smooth Sailing

Rock gods

VanHalen

QOTSA album is great.

i really dont understand the fuss with Foals. I keep trying (well wifey likes em) but i cant get into them. seen them a few times also – just a bit shit. Wifey doesnt even remember seeing them and she LIKES them! says it all i think.

love the Tricky one also.

and Eels are great my daughter got to see them instead of the wife and was thoroughly blown away by the bonkers nature of the gig. a big step from jessie j though…

Crag
    Free Member

I picked a copy of The Savages album t’other week. Really enjoying it, well worth a listen.
    Also +1 for Soft Focus by **** Buttons. Caught them a couple of weeks ago with Haxon Cloak supporting. Incredible sets.
    Pearl Mystic by Hookworms also gets my vote.
    EDIT: and how can I forget Head Down by Rival Sons. Quality old fashioned rock n roll (although 2012, not 2013)

andypaul99
    Free Member

Imagine Dragons- Night Visions
    Ludovico Einaudi- In a time lapse

RichPenny
    Free Member

Please describe the Factory Floor album in the style of a 90s Melody Maker journo Dez? Saw them supporting **** Buttons a few years back and thought them promising.

nickswolves
    Free Member

AM by the Arctic Monkeys – quality

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Surprised London Grammar haven’t been mentioned..

dandax1990
    Free Member

Arctic Monkeys – AM
    Disclosure – Settle

andysbikeclinic
    Free Member

‘Trouble will find me’ by The National.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIWmRbHDhGw[/video]

Also enjoyed ‘Imitations’ by Mark Lanegan and ‘Hesitation Marks’ by NIN is the shizzle (warning: look away if you suffer from epilepsy).

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RN6pT3zL44[/video]

mikey74
    Free Member

Mine, so far (in no order):

Amon Amarth – Deceiver of the Gods
    Clutch – Earth Rocker
    Gorguts – Colored Sands
    Alice in Chains – The Devil…
    The Dillinger Escape Plan – One of us is the Killer
    Cult of Luna – Vertikal

Ones that need more listens:

Age of Taurus – Desperate Souls…
    Morne – Shadows

Ones I’ve yet to hear that I suspect will enter the list:

Vista Chino – Peace
    Carcass – Surgical Steel.

DezB
    Free Member

For RichPenny:

Repetitive loops of acid tinged grooves. Somehow there are recognisable songs emerging from this sound. A DFA release, but not typical DFA. Duuno really, its just different and thats what I’m always on the look for!

Good article: http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1887

DezB
    Free Member

Oh yeah, The Foals album is definitely on the list, thanks for,reminding me, person who doesn’t like them!.

somafunk

I heard this cover of the Fela Kuti track “sorrow, tears & blood” on Gilles Peterson last week and it is being featured on a new compilation album “red hot + fela” in aid of Red Hot’s Aids/Hiv program.

For those of you who haven’t heard the song before give it a listen all the way through and pay attention to the lyrics, then go and find out why the song was wrote by Fela, sobering stuff.

One of my fav songs since i heard it, and been on pretty much constant repeat for the last week or so, the compilation album is going to be a cracker.

[video]<iframe src=”//player.vimeo.com/video/74554001″ width=”500″ height=”375″ frameborder=”0″ webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p>Kyp Malone, Tunde Adebimpe, Kronos Quartet, Stuart Bogie – “Sorrow Tears and Blood” from ChrisOuz on Vimeo.</p>[/video]

Another good one that’s been on repeat is Fat Freddys Drop : Mother – Mother taken from their recent “Blackbird” album,

[video]<iframe src=”//player.vimeo.com/video/65690786″ width=”500″ height=”282″ frameborder=”0″ webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p>Fat Freddy’s Drop ‘Mother Mother Live From The Winery Tour’ from Transmit on Vimeo.</p>[/video]

Arghhhhhh, i give up……..

theotherjonv

Just saw Chvrches on jools Holland, googled and saw their album was out yesterday. Googled a bit more and they came up on this thread, with folks hoping they had a decent album’s worth of songs in them.

Do they? Am I going to the record shop at lunchtime?

DezB
    Free Member

So, somafunk are you recommending Blackbird by Fat Freddy’s Drop as an album of the year? Cos er, that’s what the thread’s about. Not individual tracks, or albums that haven’t been released yet! 😆

DezB
    Free Member

hoping they had a decent album’s worth of songs in them.

Do they? Am I going to the record shop at lunchtime?

Yeah, I’d say its decent. Not mindblowing, but certainly decent.

Kodaline

Arctic Monkeys

Imagine Dragons

The Weekend – not sure if 2013 though

boxelder

the record shop

Takes me back……

somafunk

Course’ i am DezB 😉 – Blackbird is a stunning album, Mother-Mother is just one standout track among many, and i’ve heard most of the tracks on the Fela Kuti/Red Hot Fela compilation as i’m subscribed to an afrobeat music blog, the Fela album may perhaps not be to everyones taste but i get into it.

And churches are ace….. Lauren was in blue sky archives before churches, they played at our local wickerman festival last year in the go-north tent and despite going on first thing in the afternoon drew a decent crowd, lauren has a fantastic live voice and it doesn’t hinder her that she’s a very unassuming cutie 😳

Mister-P
    Free Member

I am waiting for Trentemoller’s new album to drop through my letterbox. I have purposefully avoided listening to any of it online so it is all new and fresh for the drive to work.

manitou
    Free Member

Made up Mind – Tedeschi Trucks Band
    Shake the Walls – Marcus Bonfanti

DezB
    Free Member

Mister P – Member
    I am waiting for Trentemoller’s new album to drop through my letterbox. I have purposefully avoided listening to any of it online…

I’ve listened to it online and… nah, won’t ruin it for you 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

Still Clutch – Earth Rocker for me. Although I’m yet to hear the new Ty Segall album/project Fuzz. I’ve heard a couple of tracks on it and they’re awesome.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Dirty North – Down in the Game
    First official release by Wythenshawe’s rap/reggae three piece.
    Pay what you like for the download…

Get it here

Mister-P
    Free Member

Cheers DezB. It’s either going to be fantastic or a massive let down, I don’t think it can be middle ground. I have tickets to see him in London in November so I am desperately hoping it is not disappointing.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Not an album but the latest Audioglider Mixtape is pretty damn good if you like electronica.

goslow

Good to see The Joy Formidable getting a couple of mentions but I’ll go for “If you wait” by London Grammar.

angeldust
    Free Member

The latest QOTSA album is superb.

Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Best albums of 2013 so far.’ is closed to new replies.