Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Best album of the decade?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It is good, but is this really it?
    Find out here…

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

hmmm it's all down to opinions- awaits bike of the decade type debates from the mags.

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

Its certainly a very good contender. Always on my mp3 player.

BigDummy
    Free Member

This was voted on before JLS came out, right? 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well it was NME so it was always going to be that genre of music. Still not sure if it is the best album of that genre though – but obviously I am wrong. 🙂

Kato

oooh Turn On The Bright Lights at 8!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

oooh Turn On The Bright Lights at 8!

Yeah – I do think that Antics is a better album though (absolutely LOVE the track Evil and the video is equally superb.

nickc

It's NME with an eye on the letters page for the next couple of weeks. The Strokes and Libertines did not make the best albums of the decade, I doubt though you'd really get any music journalists or fans to agree on it…

samuri
    Free Member

Well that's it. I'm officially an old duffer. Not only have I not got any of those albums, I've heard of none of them and I've only heard of a few bands in that list.

Here's what the chap who's in The strokes says…

"But does it mean it's a good musical decade or a bad musical decade?

Here's a clue mate, it's the decade that saw number one singles from X factor contestants.

CountZero

Well, I've heard of all of them, but I've only got three of those albums, and out of that list The Strokes wouldn't be number one, Arcade Fire would be, as it was a truly ground-breaking album from a country that had not previously been noted for such startlingly original music.

tracknicko
    Free Member

oh no. i like most of them. probably own most too.

saddened.

warton
    Free Member

tough one, but I'm suprised Kings of Leons first album isn't in there. Love the streets album, reminds me of long hot summer days

13thfloormonk

🙁

Genuinely thought Passover by the Black Angels would warrant a mention, especially from NME.

Certainly the best album (from this decade) that I've bought recently, and have been having a really hard time finding anything even half as good since.

Maybe its just because it makes such damn fine riding album!

markfu
    Free Member

I would have put the Strokes up near the top, not sure about best though. Also, what no Origin of Symmetry?

markfu
    Free Member

Forgot to add, wasn't PJ Harvey's entry a sort of best of rather than an album?

algarvebairn
    Free Member

I've got them all – I must be cool. Except Radiohead who are sh*te.

I'd say the Libertines and the Arctic Monkeys albums are better than the Strokes. Damn good album all the same.

chakaping
    Free Member

Heavily biased in favour of indie wa*k isn't it?

For me it'd be something like 2manyDjs or The Avalanches.

Kato

Nah Stories From The City Stories From The Sea is a proper album, not a best of

zaskar
    Free Member

Its all manufactured now so whats the point?

Snow Patrol?

chakaping
    Free Member

Or Crystal Castles, that makes The Strokes look prehistoric.

aP
    Free Member

samuri – they play some those bands on Radio 2 know, you know?
    Interpol & qotsa pretty much say it for this decade for me.

markfu
    Free Member

Kato

Nah Stories From The City Stories From The Sea is a proper album, not a best of

In that case, that is an absolutely superb album ;0)

thomthumb
    Free Member

was amazed that 'relationship of command' was in there – i would have sworn it was 90's. not only one of the best albums of the decade – it's gotta be one of my top 5 of all time.

mdb
    Free Member

Surprised that neither Gorillaz or Kasabian feature in top 10.

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Yeh, Gorillaz. Forgot about that. And the Killers.

takisawa2

Sorry, Strokes is good album but there's not a crap track on Killers – Hot Fuss. Still as fresh now as when came out.
    Shame cos second album was pretty pants by comparison.
    Thirteen Senses – The Invitaion also a favourite.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Kasabian-Kasabian for me.

AndyP
    Free Member

Well that's it. I'm officially an old duffer. Not only have I not got any of those albums, I've heard of none of them and I've only heard of a few bands in that list.

Here's what the chap who's in The strokes says…

"But does it mean it's a good musical decade or a bad musical decade?

Here's a clue mate, it's the decade that saw number one singles from X factor contestants.

agreed to approx 1,000,000%. the strokes? never heard of them.

bigdonx
    Free Member

Razorlite – Up all night. Marvellous……….

nickc

Or Crystal Castles, that makes The Strokes look prehistoric.

Can't, along with some others, Crystal Castles are one of NME's "hate" bands, so putting them in the top 50 would be an editorial no no. Half the reason some others have mentioned won't get a look in either.

41 and still reading the NME, how sad is that..?

CountZero

Its all manufactured now so whats the point?
    Snow Patrol?

If all you listen to is Radio One, then you're not far off the mark, probably three-quarters of what I hear on the radio at work has Autotune plastered all over it. There is, however, staggering amounts of music out there by people who genuinely give a toss about what they play and how it's recorded. I would suggest you buy The Word magazine and listen to the free cd, and also listen to Cerys' show on 6 Music, where you'll hear a truly wide range of real quality music. There is so much good music available, if you're prepared to invest a bit of time finding it, that you could clear your bank account each month and barely scratch the surface. I could easily find twenty albums every month without much effort, and none of it would be heavily studio processed stuff.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I listened to Radio 1 today.

I think it is called 1 because that is all I managed – 1 minute of the tosh.

kimbers

well my fav is maybe

Raindog
    Free Member

1. The Strokes – Is This It – Great, but not the best, surely ?
    2. The Libertines – Up The Bracket – can't comment, haven't heard it
    3. Primal Scream – XTRMNTR – Fantastic, the best Primal Scream album by miles
    4. Arctic Monkeys – Whatever (can't be arsed with them / it)
    5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Fever To Tell – don't own this, but I'm prepared to accept it as a contender
    6. PJ Harvey – Stories From The City,- deffo in my top 10 of the decade
    7. Arcade Fire – Funeral – overblown pap with moments of genuius
    8. Interpol – Turn On The Bright Lights – not heard it, will give it a go
    9. The Streets – Original Pirate Material – a "landmark" album, but one of the best ? Really ? With three Flaming Lips albums to go at this decade ?
    10. Radiohead – In Rainbows – By some distance the most remarkable album I've heard this decade. Should be number 1 IMHO.

chakaping
    Free Member

41 and still reading the NME, how sad is that..?

Do you hide it inside the FT or something then?

Haven't read it for years, but I get the impression it's still all about white boys with guitars.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Best album of the decade?’ is closed to new replies.