Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Best 6mm bit for brick work?
  • zippykona

Got lots of awkward drilling to do so I don’t want to piss about with cheap stuff.
    What’s the best to go for?

Caher

diamond tipped masonry drill but that might be a sledgehammer to crack a nut; so a good masonry drill will do.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I recently had to do some drilling into some very tough masonry and stone.

Ordinary hammer drill won’t even scratch the stone in our house walls.

Big SDS with tct bit wouldn’t touch it. Bought a couple of De Walt bits, one was a fairly standard tct type with a more arrow shaped end. That was better, but only got so far before it stopped.

For about £6.50 I also bought a DeWalt Extreme (or some such) with a point that was more like a cross than a point. That just blitzed through everything.

Get one of those.

maccruiskeen

Bosch multi construction

Very rare I’ve come across brick that isn’t easy to drill with a functional drill bit. Depends on your local brick though. But assuming you only drill holes in your own house then if the first hole works then the rest will.

zippykona

It’s in my shop walls and god knows what they are built from.
    Some holes are easy but an inch away the drill goes in 5mm and will go no further.

kormoran
    Free Member

A Hilti bit will be a good choice. Hold on to your wallet in the shop though. Any quality brand really though, on hammer action.

I do a lot of brick and stone work, they can be funny things. If it has been burned (overcooked) the insides can be utter brutes to drill even with a hefty sds. Stone is a dream by comparison. Depending on the clay used there’s a chance some aggregate is in there too. Obviously there could be something more sinister but I am sure you’ve thought of that! Sometimes it helps to keep withdrawing the bit to clear the dust. If you have it a little tube puffer in the hole helps massively to remove it

teasel
    Free Member

Drilled a fair bit of concrete a few years ago and had an easy time of it with the Bosch Blue multi construction bits. Lasted quite well, too.

Only thing they struggled with were hitting bits of flint and stone.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Whichever you opt for, remember to keep the chuck speed down to around 800rpm or you will destroy even the best tip. And engage hammer after you’ve made a pilot “dish” to locate the tip in.

MikeG

These Black and Decker ones are about the best non sds drills I’ve found.
    They’ve gone through everything I’ve tried them on like a hot knife in butter and the holes are actually the size they say so Rawl plugs fit without spinning.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Best 6mm bit for brick work?’ is closed to new replies.