Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Best 5" bike for £1500 ish
  • hughjayteens
    Free Member

A mate of mine has just been offered the cyclescheme at work but is happy to put an extra £500 or so in himself to get a decent bike.

Main use will be trail riding in Devon with the odd jaunt to Afan etc.

What should he be looking at for around £1500-£1700? Will probably have to be at full rrp rather than clearance price as most places won't offer discount on cyclescheme he's been told.

Any suggestions?

atlaz
    Free Member

Trance?

druidh
    Free Member

hughjayteens – Member
    A mate of mine has just been offered the cyclescheme at work but is happy to put an extra £500 or so in himself to get a decent bike.

It's against the rules to "top up"

Main use will be trail riding in Devon with the odd jaunt to Afan etc.

Main use should surely be "commuting to and from work"?

What should he be looking at for around £1500-£1700? Will probably have to be at full rrp rather than clearance price as most places won't offer discount on cyclescheme he's been told.

Because Cyclescheme take a hefty share of the retailers margin.

Any suggestions?

Stop taking the piss out of the scheme.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    angryratio
    Free Member

Second hand trance 800 off southern downhill
    They come up often, then spend some dosh on servicing the forks/shock and general consumables.

stevede
    Free Member

Second hand trance 800 off southern downhill

Not too sure southerdownill.com classifieds section are cyclescheme dealers tbh 😉

M6TTF
    Free Member

It's not illegal to top up, it's down to the discretion of the store

druidh
    Free Member

M6TTF – Member
    It's not illegal to top up, it's down to the discretion of the store

I didn't say it was "illegal" – I said it was against the Cyclescheme rules. They sent out a note to all dealers reminding them of this a couple of months back.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Ok – poor choice of word – it is however still down to the shop

mk1fan
    Free Member

5-inch bike on CS? Boardman Team FS, Giant Trance, Spesh Pitch.

As for topping up, yes some stores/shops allow it but it is against the rules and it's not their 'choice'.

Secondly, as the bike remains the property of the Company until the final salary sacrifice, then I think your mate better be sure he'll still be employed in 12-months and that his employer does mind topping up.

granny_ring

How about getting a bike within with price limit. Then with the extra £500 or so he wants to spend, get some lighter kit – wheels, tyres, seatpost etc. Keep the kit removed from the bike so it can be put back on if bike needs to be returned?

Northwind

GT Idrive 5 for a grand from Halfords, sell the Recons and buy some 140 or 150mm Revelations, and spend the change on lighter kit and hookers?

Houns

It's against HMRC's rules to top up…The more people who take the pi$$ the more likely the HMRC will pull the plug on it

M6TTF
    Free Member

I understand people taking the piss – but if a dealer puts the invoice down as 1000 quid and someone hands over a couple of hundred quid cash then who's gonna know?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Looking at the CS website the £1k limit is only for companies who don't have a consumer credit licence and knowing who he works for, I don't think that would be an issue,so I'll rephrase my question as what would be the best 5" bike at circa £1500rrp?

jedi

new merida 120

grantway
    Free Member

You cant add to the price of the bike
    max is upto £ 1000,00p LOL your going to work then save
    you Tight Ass

neilforrow

The cyclescheme.com is a rip off, you don't have to use the voutcher route. They are making a profit out of a scheme designed to make cycling more affordable and to get people fit etc. The scheme can be set up by you company and sorted at pay role so long as they are willing to claim the vat back. You can top it up, and it is not taking the piss out of the system.

You don't have to use cyclescheme.co.uk : read up, it is all on the dept of transport website.

Edit – Evans and je James have rocky mountain altitude 50's in at that money. Stunning bike for that sort of £

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

neilforrow – Member
    The cyclescheme.com is a rip off, you don't have to use the voutcher route.

not a rip off – cyclescheme take a margin, but it's not ridiculous given the amount they invest in promoting cycling to various organisations. I can promise you that the scheme would not be nearly so widely available to employees in this country if CycleScheme didn't exist. I work with them (not for them, mind) closely, and while they have to take a margin (as any business does) it's not unfair, and definately not a rip off for anyone taking part in the scheme.

As an aside, you talk of the rules in the scheme and you're not quite right. topping up is at the discretion of THE EMPLOYER (its their bike), and has nothing to do with the bike shop.

Let's keep the scheme alive (and therefore me in a job!) and not openly flount it!

convert

I wonder how much the government cares about it being flaunted? My employer do not use the scheme (despite my nagging – although as I couldn't claim the VAT back in any case it would not be as worthwhile as it is for most) so not had an opportunity to "abuse" it.

My rational for wondering is that the loss in tax is presumably considered justifiable as the health benefit in riding around a bit should reduce our load on the NHS. If we are cycling to and from work or recreationally does not really matter if that's the purpose but it's "neater" as a tax write-off if its work related.

Personally I'd like to see the scheme scrapped and VAT on bikes abolished (maybe upto a certain limit) so although no individual would benefit as much as presently, it would be available to all irrespective of your work status.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I sense a high degree of sanctimoney on this thread!!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Best 5" bike for £1500 ish’ is closed to new replies.