• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best 4wd for under £6k which will carry 5 in comfort
  • roadiesean
    Free Member

Hi all

I'd appreciate some help here, I need a big 4wd for my family, I live on a farm and I am destroying my cars. Mainly being driven on the road, so I am thinking LR Disco, Range Rover, Merc ML or BMW X5 – I assume the likes of Volvo XC's will be too pricey (or thirsty – my wallet still remembers my old T5R with some grimacing !)

Want diesel, comfy for 5 (pref 7 seats available) and under £6k (although some flexibility)

What do you all reckon ??

Sean

Northwind

Mitsubishi Delica? OK, admittedly I have a Delica fetish but it sounds like it could be ideal.

mcboo
    Free Member

Sean…..for reference, I just traded in my 6yr old Volvo XC90 for 6k. 49k miles, not in great condition (kids, dogs, bikes), was one of the first ones made I think…..if you can find a higher mileage one you should get one under £6k privately. Not a proper off-roader like a RR or Discovery but it sounds like it is for the road. Great family car, 7 seater, loads of room. We thought about trying something else, just got another one, going to run that for years and years too……

U31
    Free Member

Stay away from anything with a green oval on it is all i can tell you…

takisawa2

roadiesean, can I thread-hijackingly ask mcboo if his XC90 ever gave any trouble ?
    mrs takisawa2 is warming to them instead of this monumental POS Ford Galxay we've foolishly bought.

jam-bo

BMW 335d. It's the best car in the world don't you know…

khani
    Free Member

BONGO!
    😆
    Sorry
    "click"

nickf
    Free Member

My XC90 D5 gives about 34mpg. Still a great car after 110k miles, has been extremely reliable. In fact, other than normal service items and consumables (brake pads/discs etc), I can't think of anything that's broken or failed. It's also got the most comfortable seats of any car I've owned. Great for 5 people.

Dull as anything to drive, mind you, and not really a 4wd. It's enough to get you down properly muddy tracks though, and it's been great in snow. Not a patch on my Disco 3, however.

Only other thing with the XC90 is that the +2 seats in the boot are only good up to the age of about 10. They're fine for short hops for an adult, but not for a great deal longer.

spacemonkey

If you really want the 4×4 side of things then IME and 03-05 Freelander. Alright, they still sound agricultural and plenty of people will say bad things about them. But I've lived with an 03 (from new) for 3 years and it never went wrong, a 55 (from new) for 6 months and it never went wrong, and an 06 (from 08) and it never went wrong. Only had a couple of minor niggles but nothing mechanical/engine/transmission/ECU related at all.

If you get a good one then you'll be sorted – just do your research and/or get an inspection if you feel the need.

IMO I wouldn't recommend spending £6k on a RR of Disco, unless you know someone that has a peach.

Plenty of other options our there too.

PS a friend bought a 54 XC90 last year and had to replace the engine within 3 months – he was not chuffed. Another friend also had nothing but problems – engine and electrical from new on an 04. Not saying avoid XC90 – just saying BEWARE whatever you go for.

mcboo
    Free Member

takisawa2….+1 on what nickf said. Thats the XC90 experience in a nutshell. I'd really love a X5 as I love the way it drives like a proper BMW, 6 cylinder engine etc etc. But nothing makes as much sense as a XC90.

Also (and feel free to rant and disagree 4×4 haters) a XC90 isnt in your face…..I dont think people really hate you in one of those, even though they try.

Shandy
    Free Member

I had nothing but trouble with my Delica, total nightmare.

Volvo is probably the best bet.

roadiesean
    Free Member

Like the sound of the XC90, the CRV is just too small my kids are 11, 15 and 17 (same with the Freelander). Bit of a squeeze in anything smaller than my Merc. I'll get to looking on the XC90 trail.

Agreement on the X5, love them, but electrics not supposed to be all that when they get a bit older.

CHB

I have an XC90, 99,000 mile late 2004 model D5 SE automatic with lots of extras on it (DVD, running bars, posh stereo, winter pack). Paid just over £9000 for it in April this year. So far so good on the reliability side.
    The pre-2006 ones are know to wear out the link (spline) that drives the rear wheels, but that is not a huge problem if it happens. The D5 engine is very reliable and for a 6 year old car its in fantastic condition. If it lasts as well as my V40 (12 years, 163,000 miles and counting) then I will be happy.
    As said above, they are not a drivers car. You have to get used to driving at a steady speed and cornering is not at all saloon like!

I bought it as a family bus now that the kids are in their teens, and the 4WD so I can get to work next winter without asking my mate with his RAV4!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best 4wd for under £6k which will carry 5 in comfort’ is closed to new replies.