• This topic has 23 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by mase.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Best 29er wheelset under £350
  • mase

A simple question. What is the best 29er wheelset below £350 for hard trail riding, tyre size up to 2.4 max.??

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

toons
    Free Member

Hope when the bring out their new hub next month with 40t ratchet.

mase

Hope Hoops, which rim? Been considering the Arch Ex which I hear is strong and light (would like
    a set under 1800g. Some recent average reviews put me off though.

Candodavid
    Free Member

I got a set of halo vapour wheels, more than impressed

mase

Another on my list. What widths are the vapours? I’m pretty heavy too, 90kg. Are they up for that?

earlanderson
    Free Member

I got vapours also. No complaints here,good wheel set, fairly light and strong. I’m 87kg and no probs.

earlanderson
    Free Member

I got vapours also. No complaints here,good wheel set, fairly light and strong. I’m 87kg and no probs.

mase

The vapours look good, bet you get a nice buzzing hub sound too. Does anyone know the Spank Oozy wheelset or the Easton Havens CRC are selling massively reduced?

Candodavid
    Free Member

Easton hubs, might wanna look into the bearing life

mase

Heard that but apparently they come with the Easton hub modification

damascus
    Free Member

Hope hoops on stans. Quality. Stay away from Easton on a mtb, you go through freehubs quicker than tyres.

euanc
    Free Member

I was in the same boat a month or so ago and went for the Havens from CRC, no complaints at all, light, stiff, piece of piss to set up tubeless!

Time will tell if the bearings/freehub hold up but apparently Easton are good at sorting you out if there are any issues.

mase

Did your Havens come with the hub upgrade?

Candodavid
    Free Member

don’t forget, all the time they’re broken, your not riding because your waiting for the same shonky parts to be returned just in a non worn state

matthew_h
    Free Member

Hope Hoop prices are going up next week. Just a PSA

andyl46
    Free Member

I have a set of Sun Ringle Charger pros that have only been ridden a handful of times, as I got a set of Chinese wide carbon wheels that have taken their place. They are yours for substantially less than £350 if you’d be interested.

mase

Hi Andy, I don’t know anything about the charger pros, do you have any details/specs? What about the Chinese carbon wheels, any details?
    Thanks

danielgroves
    Free Member

Got a set of Arch EX on Pro 2s on the rigid singlespeed 29er. Love em. Picked them up nearly new out of the classifieds for £200.

lee-bee
    Free Member

I got some xt rims about a year back. They have been great and stayed straight, and don’t make a racket like my hopes. But I suppose some people quite like the clicking sound. I think it would spoil the silence of a singlespeed.

mase

Daniel,
    That’s a bargain for the Arch EXs, do you know the weights? I hear the new Pro 2s will be a little quieter.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hope hoops +1

Or, less common, wide 29ers from farsport?

andyl46
    Free Member

Hi Mase, the Charger Pros are pretty much Stan’s Flow rims (23mm internal width, great for making 2.25 tyres look huge!) Sun Ringle make stan’s rims and have licenced the design for the Charger Pro’s so they are pretty much Stans Flows on Sun ringle red ano straight pull hubs. They are presently 15mm front and the optional 142x12mm adapters fitted on the rear (a £20 optional extra I’ll include). All the other end caps are there, so every known combination (apart from 150mm DH spacing) is catered for. They are presently taped up to run tubeless, and I did, schwalbes went up no problems. Not sure if I have the valves, but any tubeless valves will work. They are the new ones with uprated bearings as some people had issues with the 1st gen ones. I’m looking £200 posted.

I’ll put some pics up and provide a link shortly, but they have hardly been used (5 times maybe?) so they look like the ones in this link!!! The carbon wheels are from light bicycle, but a good bit outside your budget.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/wheelset/sun-ringle/charger-pro-29er/prd_485994_157crx.aspx

mase

Hi Andy,
    Really tempting…….except for the red. Call me a fashionista but it really will not go with the bike. Shame because in all other aspects they’re what I’m looking for. Red and orange…… Naaahhh!
    The Farsport carbon look interesting, does anyone know anything about them ?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Best 29er wheelset under £350’ is closed to new replies.