Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Best 150mm fork with qr.
  • llamaknob
    Free Member

As above,gonna be getting a new frame shortly and will need a new fork.I wanna go 150mm but they will need to be qr as I can’t afford to change wheel just yet.I could go 140mm if the options are better,so what you think brands etc

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

If you’re getting all that new gear, I would HIGHLY recommend getting a maxle hub. They really are solid and they makle a pretty big difference in the sketchy stuff.

Coyote
    Free Member

For the price of a front wheel it’s not worth the compromise. You’ll be keeping the forks for a while, go 20mm. It’s worth it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    llamaknob
    Free Member

How much for a hub and rebuild?I have mavic xm119 rims with DT swiss spokes slx hub at the moment,I agree it would be a better option but how much more dosh

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Marzocchi Jr. T for sure.

jonk
    Free Member

I ran a 150 Rev with QR front and had no problems at all.

llamaknob
    Free Member

Not sure about double crown forks Dave,I was thinking revs,sectors.How common are they on the second hand market I seem to see loads of through axles not many qr.if I have to buy new it may have to be sectors.anyone have experience with 150mm sectors,I hear they use a revelation chassis anyway.

davewilson634
    Free Member

+1 for maxle

Northwind

It’s all relative… A QR revelation is stiffer than a 15mm Fox 32, at 150mm. Trouble is upgrades grow and grow- like, that’s a perfectly decent wheel but is it worth rebuilding that rim onto a new hub? Probably not, especially if it needs new spokes. So you end up with a whole new wheel on top.

If QR, Revelation or Sektor. Agree it would be better to go bolt-through but it’s not the end of the world if you can’t.

llamaknob
    Free Member

I agree northwind, just gonna try find a 150mm on the used market,£300 is a bit steep for me Rob.I’ll be happy if I find a qr fork for around £150-£200.Merlin are doing sectors brand new for £230 but if I can get a used rev il prob go for that.would have liked pikes but no qr.what about the marzocchi stuff? Any experience anyone?

robhughes
    Free Member

This is where you want to be llamaknob.
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/forks

simonlovell999
    Free Member

Some oldish marzocchi’s around 2002-2006. Maybe a bit old but they are more reliable than FOX and i picked up some z1 wedge 130mm 2004 marzocchi’s for £50. Nice and plush, feel stiff enough – but I have never used bolt through before.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

+1 for Rob Jackson, that’s a good set of forks, exactly what you want and a proper wheel to go with it. It maybe expensive now but in the long run it’s worth it, works stay with you for a while and you’ll only be kicking yourself later on if you go QR.

Simon is right about the old Bombers, I had an old set of Z1 QR20s and they were awesome,only got rid as they were starting to go all weird and powdery through corrosion as the they were brushed bare metal and the Lacquer had worn off. Also the bolt on dosc mount was annoying and never seemed straight.

Pikes are awesome and I may have a set coming up for sale in the next week. I can keep you posted if you want?

John

llamaknob
    Free Member

OK john cheers,if I can sort a front wheel in the budget I’ll consider them.I do agree with the through axle argument but funds are a little stretched so this will ultimately decide the outcome.thanks for the input fellas.Just out of interest how much would a comparable hub cost to buy and change over?as above I have mavic xm119,DT swiss spokes on slx hubs. Thinking a similar quality hub and reuse the rest?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Unless you get a hub that has the same spaced spoke locations you will need new spokes. Have a look at Merlin etc for build front wheels, the 119’s are a very entry level. If you want to force the issue aim for some bigger rocks 🙂 You will probably open up a better fork market by going 20/15mm. FWIW Hope Hubs can be converted for QR/15 & 20mm.

robhughes
    Free Member
    johnnyboy666
    Free Member

As another option, current fork permitting you could get yourself a front wheel with something like a Hope pro 2 hub first as it is convertible and run it with your current fork and then you will have the option in a month or 2 to look at forks. Pro 2s can run 15mm or 20mm meaning you can shop around and get whatever forks you like.

John

RustyMac
    HermanShake
    Free Member

Stick up a wanted request for a Pro 2 wheel, which is likely to come with QR+ either 15 or 20mm caps.

Hold out for a Maxle, if you can get a 15mm it’s great for trail. If you do beefier stuff aim for 20mm.

You should be able to get a decent fork and wheel 2nd hand for under £240. I got a Pike from here for £125 and a pair of Pro 2 wheels for £120 from generous STWers 😀

I really recommend a Revelation if you can get your hands on one, feel very similar to the Pike but less lardy. I dropped about 500g by changing from Pike to Rev and got 10mm more sticking out the front end. Older Pikes are reassuringly stout none the less but are limited to 140. You mention Sektors which are worth a peak too, but I’m not 100% sure about the damping. That TK business isn’t as nice as Motion Control and I imagine Blackbox is probably even nicerer.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

YGM

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

llamaknob, did you get my email regarding a set if Pikes with a Hope bulb wheel?
    John

llamaknob
    Free Member

No john I’ll check it now,I’ve been away from my computer.

llamaknob
    Free Member

YGM John

danielgroves
    Free Member

Best upgrade I’ve made to the front of my Meta if switching from a 140mm QR Revelation to a 150mm QR15 Revelation. Tenfold stiffer, handles much better.

Seriously, get a proper axle as well. Worth every penny.

cookeaa

Best bet would be to look at older Marzocchi forks

04/05/06 Z1 (“FR” or “Drop-off”???) there were definately several models about in 150mm/QR flavor circa mid-00’s, should still be floating about on the 2nd hand market, cheap and perfectly servicable

I think some of the the later Marz ‘AM’ range of forks came in 130/140/150 versions some QR, som 20mm also.

look on Pinkbike or RideIO but I’d avoid STW Classifieds now, high asking prices, and awash with scammers.

QR forks/axles are fine, you won’t die…

beanieripper
    Free Member

As much as I love old zocchi’s for a lot of reasons why anyone would recommend them in the same thread as people saying bolt thru axles are essential is madness. Old drop offs etc are great but will suffer from so much fore to aft flex that you wont notice what axle your running at all. If your riding with any get up and go. The difference between a stiff set of qr forks and a stiff set of bolt thru’s is not that huge…. so much sh1t spouted on this forum these days..

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Best 150mm fork with qr.’ is closed to new replies.