Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Best 140mm trail bike?
  • TomZesty
    Free Member

Hi all,
    My brothers looking to get his first full suss trail bike, wanting about 140-150 travel. He likes the look of the 2011 Stumpjumper comp but there aren’t many reviews of it yet (this months singletrack said it was good but didn’t really compare it to any other bikes). Any feedback on this bike, or suggestions for other 140 bikes?

druidh
    Free Member

Ibis Mojo HD140

chakaping
    Free Member

Best is subjective obviously. I read that Stumpy review and it’s a very nice looking bike – but I’d reject it for the QR fork.

If I was getting a 140mm bike now I think I’d go for a Cube Stereo, solely based on how much I like the 160mm Fritzz.

backhander
    Free Member

Subjective.
    Different strokes for different folks but I love my Knolly Endorphin.
    Not saying it’s the best. It’s just the best for me.

Kuco

FSR Evo but at £3000 maybe not, well not for me 🙁

peteimpreza

Secondhand ‘Dale Prophet

chakaping
    Free Member

FSR Evo

The stumpy evo does look pretty sorted.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Nicolai helius ac with a bos deville front fork

Andituk
    Free Member

Saracen Ariel got rave reviews.

rewski
    Free Member

uh, clues in your name, 514 or the cube stereo

PJM1974
    Free Member

There’s a lot of choice out there… My own personal favourite is the Marin Wolf Ridge / Attack Trail but it’s a heavy, hard hitting bike for it’s 140mm travel.

Otherwise there’s the Lapierre Zesty, Spesh Pitch and Trek whatever it is.

The best advice is to try before you buy and find what suits best.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

For me a last herb am but I’m settling with a 09 marin wolf ridge. I love my descents hence those choices.
    all depends on the ratio of uphill : downhill enjoyment and how much money he has.

stumpy01

I may be biased, but reckon you’d be hard pushed to beat the Stumpy fsr. I got the 2010 Elite & loved it until I had a problem with the paint. Spesh replaced it (for a £50 upgrade fee) to the carbon frame with Brain shock.

It climbs well, descends well (far better than I can) and just feels right. I also considered a Zesty & an EX8. Couldn’t get a test ride on the Zesty & didn’t like the EX8 compared to the Stumpy.

Here’s a pic or two just for the sake of it:

TomZesty
    Free Member

Cheers guys, guess hes going to have to do lots of test riding. Think his budget will be about £2000.

Northwind

For sub £2000 I’d be going home with a Wolf Ridge and some change. £1600 for a 6.9? Mental.

stavaigan
    Free Member

How is the stumpjumper for jumps and drop offs. Marketed as a XC bike but how does it cope with the less extreme freeride/all mountain type stuff?

TomZesty
    Free Member

Thats what I was wondering – it will mostly be used for fairly aggressive trail riding but maybe the odd trip to the alps aswell.

hairyscary

Northwind – Member
    For sub £2000 I’d be going home with a Wolf Ridge and some change. £1600 for a 6.9? Mental.

I just ordered myself one of them. As you say….bargain 😀

I think the only thing I’m likely to change is triple down to double.

forgotmename
    Free Member

Trek remedy, a great all round bike.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

For £2000 get a Santa cruz heckler for £1800 ish and spend the change getting a nice wheelset to fit while you sell the original Shimano Deore hubbed versions to break even on the deal.
    But you end up with a superb bike.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

gets my vote

crofts2007
    Free Member

plus 1 on the 5 spot!
    Had a 2005 heckler, completely different ride. (different-that would be better!)

stumpy01

stavaigan – Member
    How is the stumpjumper for jumps and drop offs. Marketed as a XC bike but how does it cope with the less extreme freeride/all mountain type stuff?

Is it marketed as an XC bike still??
    I thought it was pretty well into the ‘trail’ type territory – it definitely doesn’t have XC geometry, and almost 6″ of travel isn’t exactly XC?

If you are after something a bit more hardcore, then something like a Heckler/5 Spot/Mythic Spitfire might be more suitable.
    But, I’ve taken my Stumpjumper to Spain and it’s more than enough for that kind of riding – although I don’t do much jumping/large drop offs.
    To be honest, even my 2001 Stumpy FSR (definitely more XC than gnar-fest) survived quite a lot of Spain abuse.

sambob
    Free Member

No typical STW orange 5 reccomendation yet? :O I really liked the Scott Genius i tried, pretty lightweight too 🙂

adstick
    Free Member

I built a stumpjumper evo today for a customer, I’m a bit biased but it’s an amazing thing even for £3k…

trailmoggy
    Free Member

my ventana x5 takes some beating

elaineanne
    Free Member

how about a nice orange five…. 😉

specialized epic comp, or in this months mbuk….KON Tanuki DL(£1,449 – potentiially a classic hardcore trail bike which is well suited to technical terrain but it deserves better shocks (apparently) 😉
    also cannondale RZ-ONE TWENTY TWO (£1999…

Christian
    Free Member

Have a 2010 Stumpy FSR comp which is same frame and shock as 2011 and it is by far the best all rounder i have ever ridden, had cannondale Prophet before which was good but a bit heavy.

Find the front end of the stumpy with the DT RWS bolt through plenty stiff enough for me and i hit stuff pretty hard.

Great climber and it descends very well indeed, everything about it feels just right, hard to explain but i wouldnt change it for anything cheaper or dearer 🙂

neil853
    Free Member

Blur ltc 🙂

oxnop
    Free Member

LTc + 1 (but I’d consider selling as it’s not being used) 😀

gothandy

What about the Cannondale rize 140 or new Jekyll?

TomZesty
    Free Member

Anyone ridden a Mondraker Foxy?

NazNomad
    Free Member

Cove Hustler

Great deals on Chain Reaction at the mo’

Dave

si-wilson
    Free Member

We have a few Chumba VF2 frames at £899 at the moment, and could be built up quite cheaply. See here for details http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/vf2_frames.html

004 by srbwilson, on Flickr

RagTi
    Free Member

No go for A Speshitlized Stumpi, there are hardly any out there on the trails!

Defo go for a Cube, they are relatively cheap, high spec and look the part. Good reviews on later models also. Plenty of discounted 2010 bikes out there as well.

Alternatively there is that Trek for £2k….nice looking bike.

ANTHING BUT A SPECIALIZED

the_lecht_rocks

ive aquired a cheap VF2 and have to report complete satisfaction so far.

light, taut, laterally stiff [nice carbon swingarm / rear end] good enduro bearings, spot on geometry and great BB height….

at that price, what;’s not to like.

i’d also suggest a Helius AC but it will not be as light and the BB is lower….

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Best 140mm trail bike?’ is closed to new replies.